Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Discrete but ready...
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a small cabin and I would like some suggestions on a wood burning stove to cook and on and heat with. I am in Middle Georgia and it will only be 900 sq.ft. so heat control is important so we don't get run out of the house with heat.
I am also looking for a Solar kit that will run a Fridge and Air Conditioner...Thanks for any help.

·
traveler
188 Posts
I'm doing the same thing, and spent several hours the other night researching 12v appliances like this one:
http://www.kfsolar.com/product/328-...erator-043f/?gclid=CJq-0JSEj6YCFchl7AodEQgQew

The wood stove has been more difficult to narrow down. You want something that's not going to be overkill for a small cabin. I also want to be able to cook with it, and the wife wants a glass door.

I would be satisfied with a small Vogelzang and think it would be sufficient, but I think the Morso 1410 is a better quality unit, and will most likely go with it.

Good luck

·
I told you so!
2,707 Posts
wood heating stoves are hard to cook on, heat radiates from all sides, so you have to get it much hotter to cook on top, best to get an old kitchen wood cook stove my wife loves hers. JT

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Napoleon Wood Stove and it is our primary source of heat for the house. I ordered it on line and saved a couple hundred bucks. I have been happy with it so far. It has a glass front and is more entertaining than the tv.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Check out the Aspen Stove, from Vermont Castings. It's the one I bought to heat my new house which is small and very well insulated. I haven't fired it up yet, but I think it is worth a look for you.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Wood burning stoves are hard to cook on. I have one that used to heat my house. Probably over 100 years old. Most of the old ones have a way to control airflow into them wia a damping system that controls heat. You just have to practice though, and it's more about tending the fire than anything else.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
You might check out Lehmans. They have a Baker's Oven Wood Heat/ Cook Stove Made in Australia $2,600. They also have a Bakers Choice Wood Cookstove for $1,600. They have other models available.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,941 Posts
Wood cook stoves are GREAT for cooking on! We have done it.

However your way South, and your only talking about a 900sf house. You are going to be chased right out of the house if you go with any medium sized cookstove.

We have an antique cookstove; at only 25kBtu heating one up to cook eggs and pancakes would likely have you opening windows and turning on fans in mid winter.

A standard gas burner is only like 3kBtu. A seriously hot big burner is 5kBtu.

Our house is 2400sf; our regular woodstove is rated at 200kBtu, it works fine to heat us when it is -20 outside. you dont need that.

I doubt if you need more than 10kBtu in a 900sf house in the South.

I suggest a small wood cook stove.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts