Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a tent, needs to be light (5-8 lbs.) and at least 2+ or 3 person. I was thinking about a MSR mutha hubba or a Mountain hardware trango or taurine. any thoughts or experiences or other suggestions welcome.It needs to be waterproof and survive wind.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 is one of the toughest tents money can buy...but thats a HEAVY 4-season tent and not really good for warm weather camping. What type of environment do you plan on camping in? Are you going to be using it for car camping or strictly backpacking?

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well a all season tent is important but light weight is more important. mostly short distance camping but be able to live out of it if need be. Weather is mostly cool, sometimes rainy or snowing. but I want to be able to use it in summer too. I have 3 eureka timberlines, i think there one of the toughest tents ever made but there +10 lbs for a 4 person outfitter. would like to go lighter, would like to get down to 30 lbs in the pack total.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've spent plenty of time in a MH Trango 4 in all kinds of conditions and it holds up very well, though it can be a bit heavy. For the use you're describing you'll probably be fine with a sturdy 3 season tent and a good sleeping bag.

Marmot also makes some excellent tents that hold up under alpine conditions. You might like this one. If you're willing to shell out the big bucks Integral Designs has some fantastic 4 season tents that are very light, but built for hard use. This is their 3 person tent, and this is their ultralight version.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts

·
Resident Ninja
2,091 Posts
http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-136-zeta-3.aspx

I have one of those and a footprint ready to ship out, I can hook you up. :) PM me if interested.

I'm about to order some more of the ultralights if any of those catch your attention.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/c-22-ultralight.aspx
Thanks for posting this... I was about to post up a question regarding 2-man tents. Sounds like the Sierra Designs fit the bill perfectly... not outrageously expensive.

At the sametime, how do they hold up to thunderstorms, high winds, etc, etc?

Sorry in advance if I'm thread jacking! :taped:

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Thanks for posting this... I was about to post up a question regarding 2-man tents. Sounds like the Sierra Designs fit the bill perfectly... not outrageously expensive.

At the sametime, how do they hold up to thunderstorms, high winds, etc, etc?

Sorry in advance if I'm thread jacking! :taped:

I personally haven't had one in a storm, but the Clip Flashlight has been made for like 25 years (although updated a couple years ago) and still upholds a great reputation so I imagine it would be great. Plus it's a low profile, so it doesn't catch wind. The material sheds water like it's off a duck's back and the bathtub floor is plenty high.

One of the big sales reps for Sierra Designs will actually be hanging out at my place tomorrow, I could get the scoop on extreme weather or most anything else then.

I've got these Clip Flashlights, the Vapor Light 2, Vapor Light XL, and the Zeta 3, all with matching footprints, all in stock so PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I personally haven't had one in a storm, but the Clip Flashlight has been made for like 25 years (although updated a couple years ago) and still upholds a great reputation so I imagine it would be great. Plus it's a low profile, so it doesn't catch wind. The material sheds water like it's off a duck's back and the bathtub floor is plenty high.

One of the big sales reps for Sierra Designs will actually be hanging out at my place tomorrow, I could get the scoop on extreme weather or most anything else then.

I've got these Clip Flashlights, the Vapor Light 2, Vapor Light XL, and the Zeta 3, all with matching footprints, all in stock so PM me if you're interested.
I have a Clip Flashlight 3 it's a great tent, and a little extra room for 2 people:thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.