Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Here I stand.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search of the threads here, but couldn't find anything on get home bag contents for a more urban setting. I work about 20 miles away from my home, and parts of the "as the crow flies" walk would mostly include the city. Does anyone have suggestions as to different equipment you would carry for an urban setting? Or would you just carry the same stuff? I've adopted a "gray man" style and my HGB is just a regular book bag. Off the top of my head I've got:
- Change of clothes (from work to warmer winter clothes)
- Ka-bar
- Multi-tool
- Hand gun with extra mag
- Water container (with purifier tabs)
- 2 Flashlights
- 1st aid kit (small)
- couple MRE's
- and some TP (better safe than sorry and have to use leaves)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
twenty miles is quite a bit to haul in dress shoes.. your change of clothing include comfortable walking shoes and socks... maybe a change of socks?

thought of some non-lethal defensive measure? OC/pepperspray or stun gun?

... I think you're on the right track, especially with the gray man approach. better to blend than stand out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All good points. Mine has one of those emergency mylar tents in it. I sprayed it black so its not as reflective too. Very small and light when packed. I drive all over the place for work and usually at least 20 miles from home throughout the day. I plan on it taking at least 24 hours to reach home if SHTF while Im out. Gotta sneak and lay low most of the time...

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's pretty much identical to mine.

I would add shoes as someone else suggested.

Also:

some cordage 50ft or so
poncho/55 gallon drum liner
extra batteries
sunglasses
gloves
bandana
fire kit

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
your bag is going to be trunked until you need it .... add a 12/18 inch pry bar ...... something to carry in your hand that's less offensive than your knife or handgun .... comes in handy for a multitude of uses ....

·
Plays best, alone
4,944 Posts
Here's a few things I would add. Gloves to save your hands, never know what you may have to do. Compass and map of the area, even if you know the route and a couple alternates. One wrong turn can be discovered and corrected quickly by checking your bearings from time to time, and you may have to go way around obstacles. Poncho and good space blanket. Spare socks, 20 miles could easily become 35 miles in a disaster. Duct tape folded and carried in your wallet always. Probably more but I'll leave it at this for now.

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
Clear goggles and m95 mask/scarf for face. Airborne debris is hard on lungs and eyes.

Yes you have a container and tabs but also have bottled water gtg.

+++yep on leather gloves and foot ware

----nope on Mylar as it is noisy and too flimsy- sub silnylon poncho with tie-outs

-----not crazy about mres on the go as they are too fussy- sub power bars (inconspicuous and intestines shrink in face of adversity) but throw in bouillon cubes/ jello powder for caloric back-up

Grey man? Prepare to look and act stupid, disoriented and uncertain. Have empty prescription pill bottle with your name on it as sometimes this is the only way to substantiate returning to your hood- for meds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
All good so far, similar to my 12-25mi urban GHB.
Consider the following, some are seasonal rotate items:
Small sunblock
small AM/FM radio + earbud
Lithium batteries for anything powered...they last in the trunk...
Fake "give away if need be" wallet with a few $$, expired CC's, doctored DL.
Hand warmers if cold is a potential
small binoculars (weight consideration, looking ahead can be good)
Waterproof bags for items also facilitates grouping and sorting.
AA battery based emergency phone charger is a recent add of mine.
Potassium iodine pills (if you are in that kind of area) is good for the FA kit.
Encrypted, robust flash drive with essential documents and scans, should just be a copy of the other ones you have.

·
Grevcon 10
13,614 Posts
Trying not to recap a lot of the good suggestions already given...

It depends on what you plan to be doing. I'm a first responder, work at a hospital, etc. My urban bag is packed for running INTO a disaster to help as well as out of it. Something you could definitely use are things like a gas mask as well as additional N95 masks to hand out to others or for when the gas mask is excessive (smoke and dust are really bad in a lot of disasters and then there's always potential disease threats). I also have various tools like a multi-purpose prybar and bolt cutters in my bag. A good urban multitool (screw drivers etc) is handy too. This allows you to get into or out of buildings and vehicles to rescue yourself or others.

·
Here I stand.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These are excellent suggestions and just what I was looking for. Lots of things I didn't even think of, but they make sense and I should have them. I've got a GHB for my wife too and she'll get a carbon copy of all this, with just a few mods designed for her needs. Keep the suggestions coming!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
All the items suggested are great for an urban environment, and you should include them.......in your Bug Out Bag.

You might not have the option to get home; it might not even exist.

Carry your BOB in your vehicle.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My daily commute is about 20 miles as well. Ideally if SHTF I would be abreast of any developing issues and have enough notice to either stay put at home or make it back home by my car before things started going down. Of course, I know I might not be that lucky so I keep my GHB in my trunk just in case.

I use a military duffel bag(the kind you can wear as a backpack) as my GHB. It has a basic first aid kit(I've got a more advanced one separately in my trunk), rope, gloves, multi tool, scissors, magnesium fire starter, poncho, a few bottles of water, a towel, soap, some cans of food, trail mix, maps, a tiny shortwave radio, a Baofeng UV-3R, dust masks, TP, hand warmers, tape, sleeping bag, change of clothes, and a few other items. It's a work in progress and I'm still adding things as I have the time/money.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My GHB is a 5.11 Rush 24. I basically use it as an EDC/GHB/man purse as it includes items I want in an emergency where I had to walk him and items I use on a daily basis. Contents include:

Glock 22 .40 w/ extra mag & holster
Headlamp
Fire starting kit (wetfire, matches, mini bic, small ferro rod, an altoids tin full of cotton balls soaked with vasoline and another altoids tin containing another mini bic lighter, magnesium fire starter, jute twine, and dryer lint)

I'm big on fire capabilities. I also want to add some pitch pine and some trick candles. That said if you wanna go super light on fire stick with a mini bic, some lint, and some Vaseline.

I carry a sangean dt-400w radio in my "electronics" compartment. Which also includes spare AA and AAA batteries, ear buds, and lenses for my head lamp.

A hank of 550 cord.

A klean canteen, a large nalgene water bottle and a GI mess kit. Plus some cheap utensils.

A food compartment with a couple cliff bars, some tuna, some powdered drinks for rehydrating and some powdered caffeine mixes.

A small first aid kit. Basic stuff.

Small thing of deet/sunscreen

Moleskin

Emergency blanket

Water purification tablets

Mora knife, bahco Laplander, knife sharpener, heavy duty garbage bag, several ziplock bags

A maxpedition edc organizer with:
Guitar pic, pens, highlighter, black sharpie, mechanical pencil, 4 in 1 screw set, leatherman wave, large bic lighter, USB drive, zip ties, pen knife sharpener, a gauze pad, a bandaid, a tiny moleskine notepad, some envelopes, folded up aluminum foil, stamps, and mini bible.

Things in vehicle:
Gallon of water
Shoes

Things I need to add:
Cash!
Quarters!
Bandana
Lightweight tarp
Etc!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts