Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having a heck of a time trying to find a high quality waterproof/windproof lighter online. Every lighter has mixed reviews and no one seems to agree on a lighter that you can trust out in the bush. You would think that all of these outfitter sites would focus on one of the most important aspects of extended wilderness survival, the ability to start a fire in the worst conditions. I've been looking at this Cabela's lighter because I've had good luck with Cabela's products in the past:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20130&hasJS=true

If anyone has had any luck with this lighter or any other brand/model please let me know.

Thanks,

Winchester94

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've been having a heck of a time trying to find a high quality waterproof/windproof lighter online. Every lighter has mixed reviews and no one seems to agree on a lighter that you can trust out in the bush. You would think that all of these outfitter sites would focus on one of the most important aspects of extended wilderness survival, the ability to start a fire in the worst conditions. I've been looking at this Cabela's lighter because I've had good luck with Cabela's products in the past:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20130&hasJS=true

If anyone has had any luck with this lighter or any other brand/model please let me know.

Thanks,

Winchester94
look for one of these...

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/firepiston/rb2/index.html

when Les Stroud had them first on his TV show, they were very few and far between and they were all over 100 dollars, now they are half the cost, and lots of people are making them. All you need is string to form the gasket on the plunger.

I'd rather rely on needing string I take off of my clothes than lighters that run out of fuel or are fragile and get cracked and then leak massively flammable fuel on my stuff.

Anyway, just a thought. that and a few of the $7 mag/iron scrape deals should get you through for quite a while.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Hatch is right. Its tough to beat mag filings for starting fire in bad conditions. And the sparks from the steel will start the magnesium. You could go with a flare. Those start easy and will burn completely underwater. Butane lighters will slowly leak over time and piezo ignition systems don't work when wet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know it may not be the best, but take a look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ronson-Jetlite-...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50

I found one at Wal Mart and liked it so much that when I went to go get another one and they didn't have them, I found one online. It is definitely windproof, I've held it in front of fans to see how well it burns, and it always does. I've used it camping and had no problems what so ever. It will run for around 30 mins on one fill of quality butane. The flame is adjustable and scary hot. Just something to think about, $7 shipped compared to $45 shipped.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
What the trainedtosave said.

No point spending more. These things are reliable and lightweight. Even if it does get wet, it's fairly quick and easy to dry out, and you should have a fire steel or similar as a backup in these situations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some good points. I've been using a magnesium flint-stick for years and it's always been my go-to when all else fails. That being said, after a long day of deer hunting in the woods the last thing you want to do is start scraping magnesium and putting together a tinder bundle. I want to know that my first option is a super reliable lighter so that I can start a fire instantly and only go to the flint-stick when all else fails.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Keep several small bic lighter around. Even when they're soaked, you can blow them out dry easily. I also have waterproof matches with me. If you use your last fire to dry out some starting kindling, then your set to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Snapdragon

I've seen good reviews for this "peanut lighter". I don't know how windproof it is, but the case appears waterproof and durable.
Thanks Snapdragon! That was very helpful. I've never heard of those lighters but they definitely seem waterproof and tough. A perfect little lighter you can always carry on your key ring.

Winchester94

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
I'm just gonna say it, Zippos are great lighters, but they don't always light right when you need them to, they have a nasty habit of leaking fuel to the air. I do use on camping, but I carry a back up

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
A Bic in a ziploc bag.
I dont even do that the only problem with a bic is when its windy.. but Ive droped it into the water picked it up blew it out and it light the frist time.. Im not to conserend since you should simply have at least 2 ways of lighting fires me I bring tinder thats water proof and burns for a long time super easy to light a fire with it and you dont have to look for good fuel wet wood works fine with it just not dead wet wood.. everytime I go camping it rains really badly I have yet to fail lighting a fire.. its simple air fuel heat thats it.. getting the fire off the ground helps alot.. water proof matchs or huricain matchs can do the job better then a lighter..

Simple insurance is..

Bic lighter cheap works if that fails

hurician matchs that fails or you run out because of inexperince or lack of good wood

maginsuim fire starter (last resourt) or light my fire fire steel..

I buy the wax firestarter that comes in the a green bag that is in like every department store in the cheap camping section..

also what my friend use is what he use to light the charcoal bbq which is a plastic rapped cube that works well as well..

·
Registered
8 Posts
To me, nothing beats a firesteel. I bought my first one about two years ago and I haven't looked back. I use mine almost on a daily basis and it has never failed me yet. They will light even when wet.
I always carry some dryer lint in a prescription bottle on me whenever I am out in the woods or hiking for tinder. It lights really easy and I can have a fire in no time. Just my two cents worth.

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
Well, I would say this is one of those categories you would want redundancy.

I like the Windmill Pro- about 50$. It has a window so you can see the fuel level, windproof, waterproof, shockproof and because you put the fuel in it you can use the higher octane stuff for higher elevation. When you light it, it is like a mini blow torch- like a cigar lighter (but the "fast and light" version- arf).

I carry a Swedish Steel AND weatherproof matches AS WELL.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nobody has mentioned the Silva Helios yet.
I have one and though I have not had a chance to test it in extreem conditions it looks like it will go the distance
my only complaint is the fuel chamber is quite small and you have to remember to fill it regularly

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm just gonna say it, Zippos are great lighters, but they don't always light right when you need them to, they have a nasty habit of leaking fuel to the air. I do use on camping, but I carry a back up
I always keep my zippo on me, and I keep some extra fuel in my BOB (they produce a a stainless steel container for fuel) and mine is always reliable if I make sure to take care of it.

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
I always keep my zippo on me, and I keep some extra fuel in my BOB (they produce a a stainless steel container for fuel) and mine is always reliable if I make sure to take care of it.
Oh yeah, I love my zippo, I have an old coke one from the early 70's. I was jsut saying, that they do leach fuel, they don't always light right when you need them, and I frequently forget to change out the flint, I have ran out of it right when I needed it. Thankfully I had a few matches.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts