Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Asphalt Survivalist
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,

I wanted to pass along one of my prep plans for those with oil heat. I have an oil furnace with a 375 gallon fuel oil tank in the ground. I recently installed a wood heater in my fire place, took out 2 walls to open the house up and discovered that the fire place insert keeps most of the house 65-70 degrees even when it is 15 degrees out.

I have a full tank of fuel oil I have not used yet this winter. I got to thinking that it will keep for a hell of a long time, longer with a few additives. SO I bit the bullet and went out and bought a diesel generator. I have a gas one but in major events it would be nice to have 375 gallons of fuel on hand instead of 3 five gallon cans. In fact, I am thinking about getting a metal 55 gallon barrel or two and stock piling some more fuel oil. Unlike gas it is significantly safer and more stable.

It will run my generator by powering the house; I can also run a kerosene heater in a pinch in the event that I do not want to attach attention by my generator running. I have several kerosene cheapo lanterns I bought at the flea market that will run off of fuel oil. So I have heat, light and power and 375 gallons to burn. Like I said I am thinking of getting 2-3 55 gallon drums and stock up on fuel oil before it goes back to 5 dollars a gallon. I know it will go up and instead of 150 dollars to fill a 55 gallon drum it will be double or perhaps triple that. I am prepping now.

So does any body have any other suggestion on how I can capitalize on my underground diesel storage tank full of fuel besides what I am suggesting here to you all???

P.S. I took the frig and stove from the old 1976 motor home I bought. Frig runs on propane and 110v, Stove/Oven on Propane. Unlike the new ones, it does not need 12 volts to run (safety switch) or to start (12 volt igniter) both have a pilot flame and are silent. If a situation happens where I shut down the generator I still have a frig and stove as long as I have a few gas grill tanks on standby. Best 400 dollars I have spent so far and I am still stripping items and putting in my garage if a really bad day happens.

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,309 Posts
When I was a child in the sixties I remember my mom cooking on a 4 burner kerosene stove when power was out. We still have the stove but it's unserviceable and as far as burning diesel I don't know if it would burn diesel but logic says it should as at the time this stove was manufactured Diesel was probably not in widespread use. Might be worth looking into. Finding one is another quandary.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Kerosene stove that exhausts the combustion gases can be used inside. Burn diesel with-it, a bad idea. Those salamander garage heaters can burn kero or diesel. Diesel is more unrefined than kero. Makes alot more CO. The US military purchased diesel burners for wood stoves. Works of off DC voltage and can be quickly installed in a stove. Just one hole like 2" or so I have the wood stove part of it. That model is nice too can burn coal has a grate. Go to a good army navy surplus store, sometimes there on ebay too.

Wood stoves are much more fuel efficient than fireplaces. Fireplace draw alot of extra air up the stack, makes all the leaks in the house flow air. Those corner rooms get alot colder than w/ a woodstove. New no frills woodstoves can be pruchased new for about 200-300 dollars. A basic flu pipe and thruwall or roof penetration cost about $300. Most codes says 3ft higher than any part of the roof 15ft away from the stack. A good sized CO2 fire-extinguisher can put out most chimney fires. Typically in the winter woodstove and fireplaces that are coninously used must have the chimney cleaned once a month. Two good cleaning a season, rest basic scrapping about 6ft out from the stove. Especially buring conifer trees like pine.

Overall with generators, virtually all electric needs can be inexpensively accomplished with 12v dc power. solar cells and small wind generators that sailboat typical have can power a fridge and some lighting.

for long term diesel storage, consider purchasing a UV sterilizer to prevent bacteria growth. Also, having a vent system that maintains a little backpressure in the tank prevent water condensation. Periodically putting isopropanol based dry gas helps extend the life of the fuel. A inexpensive supplemental 12V charger can be made out of a lawnmower engine coupled to a GM 1-wire alternator. A 3:1 Pulley size is good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts