Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you think about growing sugarcane? It's not only a sweetener, as it can also be used to make paper, tools, and other materials. It needs lots of sun to make all that sugar, but is very easy to grow since it's a true grass. I think when I move to California after the SEALs, I'm going to grow half an acre or so.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
So what do you think about growing sugarcane? It's not only a sweetener, as it can also be used to make paper, tools, and other materials. It needs lots of sun to make all that sugar, but is very easy to grow since it's a true grass. I think when I move to California after the SEALs, I'm going to grow half an acre or so.
sorghum is easier to grow and will grow in more parts of the US
the only problem you will have is processing your cane you will need a cane mill, evaporator tray and scoops

the last two are needed regardless if your using sugar cane sorghum maple syrup or sugar beets

·
Registered
3 Posts
FarmerJohn could be on the money with sorghum rather than sugar cane.

Most cane varieties are much higher yielding but needs a LOT of constant water to achieve much of anything. Sorghum spp are generally more forgiving of dryer conditions.

If you only wanted a small plot you could plant on top of a wastewater outlet/soak something like duruka (Saccharum edule) which suckers more & provides the vegetable duruka as well as sugar, fiber & forage for livestock & is a little more forgiving but unless you are in the wet tropics or subtropics Saccharum aren't really a worthwhile crop.

Just my 2c worth

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
FarmerJohn could be on the money with sorghum rather than sugar cane.

Most cane varieties are much higher yielding but needs a LOT of constant water to achieve much of anything. Sorghum spp are generally more forgiving of dryer conditions.

If you only wanted a small plot you could plant on top of a wastewater outlet/soak something like duruka (Saccharum edule) which suckers more & provides the vegetable duruka as well as sugar, fiber & forage for livestock & is a little more forgiving but unless you are in the wet tropics or subtropics Saccharum aren't really a worthwhile crop.

Just my 2c worth
you can grow sugar cane here in the states but its grows best in the gulf states alabama mississippi florida.....
the biggest difference is sorghum will not make sugar it will just make a thick syrup

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought sorghum seed for planting this year. I wanted to give it a try, but time got away from me. Is it too late to plant now? I'm in VA and the first frost doesn't come til October (late or middle).

·
the "d" from ban[d]
15,107 Posts
I haven't seen anyone grow it since I was a kid. My neighbor grew it. We would chew on it while playing ball. He liked baseball so much that he never gave us hell about his garden.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I haven't seen anyone grow it since I was a kid. My neighbor grew it. We would chew on it while playing ball. He liked baseball so much that he never gave us hell about his garden.
I got a patch of sorghum growing right now

·
Learn something new today
122 Posts
When pressed, the fresh juice is lovely. For ideas on making a press, I believe ECHO in Ft Meyers, Fl offers instructions. I bet they would even sell some cane varieties. I grew a red variety. It does take up considerable space and water.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
When pressed, the fresh juice is lovely. For ideas on making a press, I believe ECHO in Ft Meyers, Fl offers instructions. I bet they would even sell some cane varieties. I grew a red variety. It does take up considerable space and water.
I have a old tenesee iron works cane mill weighs about 800-900lbs and i have it on a small trailor to haul round the yard but while it goes with the tractor it is still able to be used by animals:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts