Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What plant can you use instead of Sugar?

We do have honey here, but I cant have that, so what are the alternatives?

Sugar is grown in very hot climates, and I doubt unless I had a huge green house I wouldnt be able to grow it in the Uk. We can grow Bananas, but thats on the southern tip of the South coast.

I'v cut out sugar from my diet, but herbal teas and my porridge just arn't the same.

Obviously after SHTF I dont think things like Calderelle, Splendour etc would be available.

·
Hope is not a method
527 Posts
Well, there is corn syrup but the cooking process is way stinky and messy. Oh, and it takes quiet abit of corn and some acid to make, might not be worth the trouble, however, I've only seen the process, I've never done it myself.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
What plant can you use instead of Sugar?

We do have honey here, but I cant have that, so what are the alternatives?

Sugar is grown in very hot climates, and I doubt unless I had a huge green house I wouldnt be able to grow it in the Uk. We can grow Bananas, but thats on the southern tip of the South coast.

I'v cut out sugar from my diet, but herbal teas and my porridge just arn't the same.

Obviously after SHTF I dont think things like Calderelle, Splendour etc would be available.
They also make sugar from beets. I don't know how hard that is to do but you might look into it. Beets are cold hardy plants.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
FWIW I dehydrated some carrots and once re-hydrated they were sweet, almost like candy. I'm sure that "sugar" could be extracted from them... Also don't forget the sugar maple. Whereas one of the biggest maple areas in the US is New England AND it was folks from the UK that settled there in the 1600's perhaps the maples will grow in your area too...

Allan

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links on sugar beets, I will have to ask at the local farm shop, to see if they do them.

I was wondering about parsnips or was it turnips they used in cakes during WW2. You can make carrot cake too.

I will have to look into sugar maple (is that like maple syrup?) and see how to crop it.

Thanks again
Purdy

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,135 Posts
On the idea of malt, how about malting barley? It's not hard to concentrate malt sugar from malted barley.

·
Registered
880 Posts
My wife makes me some awesome 100 calorie brownies without adding any sugar. She watched Food Channel and learned that you can use apple sauce in place of sugar...

·
High on a mountain top
435 Posts
I know your post was about growing sugar or alternatives, but just wanted to say sugar really is well suited to long term storage - has a practically unlimited shelf life, and relatively cheap now, so buy and store it :thumb:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts