Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on storing a few pounds of sugar in washed out 2 liter bottles. My question is, is that neccessary?

I would think sugar should keep for say 6 months to 1 year in the bag it comes in assuming it isn't open. I am looking to store the sugar for no more then 1 year anyway.

Looking for answers....

·
Fubar Artist
15 Posts
All that you need to worry about when it comes to sugar is miosture and pests... airtight is best - and theres more than one way to skin a cat.

Your Idea should be fine. I've got plain sugar stored in mylar (no 02absrs necessary) and Brown Sugar stored in Mason Jars w/ O2 an absorber in each jar to make a tight seal. But thas prolly overkill.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
I am planning on storing a few pounds of sugar in washed out 2 liter bottles. My question is, is that neccessary?

I would think sugar should keep for say 6 months to 1 year in the bag it comes in assuming it isn't open. I am looking to store the sugar for no more then 1 year anyway.

Looking for answers....
Yes it would keep in it's original bag in perfect conditions (no moisture, no pests etc.) but nothing is perfect. I keep mine in the 2 liters to keep pests out and to keep them from getting moisture in ase my utility room springs a leak (water lines or roof leak). Keeping them in 2 liters also has another few benefits they weigh around 5 pounds each and thats great for a barter situation, they are easy to store/stack on shelves also they are easy to pour when refilling smaller inside containers.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Looking for answers....
I stored a 5 gallon bucket of white sugar and another 5 gallon bucket of brown sugar for 8 years with no mylar bags, no o2 absorbers or other such preparations. Just snapped on a standard O-ring bucket lid. The building they were stored in had no air conditioner and had some humidity issues. The contents of both buckets were just as good as the day they went in 8 years ago. The brown sugar was a little hard in places but broke up easily. No infestation or other problems.

As someone else mentioned, it is my understanding that sugar should store indefinately as long as you control moisture and insects.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I hope it stores well in 5 gallon buckets with a standard lid. I have 20 buckets with 25 pound each stored at the moment.

·
I have control issues
6,127 Posts
I keep my sugar in the original bag, and then vacuum seal it with my FoodSaver; that way, I don't have to worry about moisture, infestation, etc. Kept this way, the sugar should store for years.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My mother always stored sugar in Tupperware containers with a couple of saltine crackers in it. It would seem to keep forever and never clumped up since the crackers absorbed the moisture. Worth a shot at least, and if it's any consolation, it's how I keep mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts