Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
COINTELPRO Operative
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So would you continue to prep if you, saying you were the sole provider of your family, was to lose your job??
I honestly would say that would be a personal SHTF scenario.

The main reason I bring this up is because of a poll posted by one of our other members.

Also, i was cruisin the youtube, and I came along this guys channel (obviously a college kid) who said he was unemployed. Also it is apparent that he receives unemployment, or college monthly grants.
He uses/used his monthly allowance to purchase the following...
Ak74
2,000 Rounds of ammo
A pistol
A holster
Condor molle chest rig
Bulgarian Ak pouch with 4 magazines

He talks about the economy collapsing and all that other junk and that "it will be collapsed by the end of next year".
What is yalls opinion on this??

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
I am facing this in the next week or so. Im at present recieve one benefit for ill health - this is now under assessment of which 90% are being forced onto the unemployment queues. This gives me a £40 drop per week. Ho Hum.

Will I carry on prepping, yes, I will just adjust my budget and see how it goes from there. I do think its about doing better research to find things at very lower prices.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I prep for that situation (if it were possible, but being military it really isn't). Say I were to receive a no pay due notice, I am prepped for that.

Also in most the other unemployment threads you will notice that people begin to live off there preps and restock what they can while still unemployed.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Anyone who claims a timeline of collapse and preps only weapons scares the crap out of me...

Nobody actually knows when it will collapse, there are those who say it never will, there are those who say it will collapse soon...personally I'm in the latter group, however I am prepared to continue life as it is now, and I have also prepped for a worst case scenario.

I believe a collapse is not only possible but probable, predicting when is anyones guess.

Prep what you can without comprising your ability to pay your bills.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
I agree with what others have said. You obviously have to pay your bills to keep your head above water, but you have to look carefully at exactly what you purchase (ex.: store brand vs. Name brand) and sometimes when you find deals and room within your budget , do what you can with what you have.

And yes....some of these folks that place precise timelines kinda scare me as well.:xeye:

·
Survivus most anythingus
3,874 Posts
Anyone who claims a timeline of collapse and preps only weapons scares the crap out of me...

Nobody actually knows when it will collapse, there are those who say it never will, there are those who say it will collapse soon...personally I'm in the latter group, however I am prepared to continue life as it is now, and I have also prepped for a worst case scenario.

I believe a collapse is not only possible but probable, predicting when is anyones guess.
Death is a process. Sometimes that process is going through a windshield at a high rate of speed and sometimes it is years of cancer or some other disease.

Our problems are no different. A wasting disease...multiple ones we are infected with.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
First thing I would do is withdraw my 401k. I have about $11k in it (mostly all in cash) that I would withdraw and use for paying the mortgage. I should get about a year and a half out of that. Plus, on my mortgage loan, they will pay 3 months of my mortgage if I loose my job. So that's almost 2 years of my mortgage. That's probably my main concern.

Preps would probably slow down or almost stop. I would certainly start eating primarily off of preps/my garden.

I do not intend to run up any cc debt, but if it came to running up cc debt and starving, obviously you know what I'm going to do.

·
Food Storage Solutions
1,029 Posts
Prepping just weapons is pause for concern. Either he plans on shooting up everything to get his daily essentials or he is ignorant of what is needed to survive.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
We really ramped up our preparation when my husband lost his job (I am still employed), because the reality of it all suddenly slammed home to us. We have hungry teenagers to feed.

I really enjoy most of the lifestyle changes we have had to make and hope never to get to the point where we give all that up, though I'd love to have dinner at Famous Dave's now and again. :)

·
Blessed
631 Posts
I'm trying to prep myself for when I get laid off around the 10th of November. It's almost 99% certain I will. I'm appying and looking for jobs. Trying to get future expenses situated. I have support of my fiancee and both her and my parents incase unemployment runs out and I can't find a job. I know I will find something. You got to be confident in doing so. It's a scary feeling knowing money might not be coming so steadily every month but I have to deal with it whatever happens. I'm blessed in many areas in my life which will help keep me positive when the time comes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Prepping isn't just for TEOTAWKI, it's for ANYTHING. Unemployment, to me, would be a version of the end of the world...not so drastic but still very stressful. It has happened in the past and I was grateful to have supplies so that at least I didn't have to worry about feeding my kids. If there's no income, don't know how you could continue to prep..unemployment doesn't pay the same as a full-time job....It would be wiser to pick up whatever job or jobs available so you don't go through your stored food and have to start over when you do get back on your feet.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The major reason I started prepping was because of job loss fear. At the time I had a great job that paid really well so my extra money went into food and resources to help me survive.

I know if I lose my job tomorrow I will be eating for a year before I start getting hungry. I know I have a ton of food in my garden I can continue to can and eat healthy instead of relying on ramen.

I also know I have enough ammo that I can go out and still have fun shooting on the weekends.

I also have enough saved up that I can easily still afford to go out and have a nice restaurant meal or buy a good 6 pack of beer.

As far as the kid he is a freaking moron in my opinion. He has put all his money into things that go boom and probably forgot that the thing that needs to pull the trigger needs to be fed and hydrated.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
Also, i was cruisin the youtube, and I came along this guys channel (obviously a college kid) who said he was unemployed. Also it is apparent that he receives unemployment, or college monthly grants.
He uses/used his monthly allowance to purchase the following...
Ak74
2,000 Rounds of ammo
A pistol
A holster
Condor molle chest rig
Bulgarian Ak pouch with 4 magazines

He talks about the economy collapsing and all that other junk and that "it will be collapsed by the end of next year".
What is yalls opinion on this??
That he is a dangerous nut. Hopefully not another in a line of madman killers that shoot down innocent people to fulfill some twisted idea of the world coming to a end. Or trying to make the world end. Money from unemployment or allowance should be used to keep himself fed and current on his bills, while he finish his education or conducts a job search. The assault weapons are not the tools that a employer is looking for from a person they want to hire.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
I have been unemployed 3 times in the last 3+ years. It didn't stop me from getting more preps because I was prepared for unemployment - I had paid off all debt, I live frugally and I have savings.

Over the adult years of my life, unemployment has been the one SHTF situation I have most frequently encountered. I think financial emergencies are the most common thing most adults experience that upsets their lives, yet very few are prepared for it, including "preppers".

The fact that even here many people question the need to prepare for this very common life scenario, but would rather go into debt to prepare for a zombie apocalypse saddens me - but I guess it is hard for people to change when that is the way they have lived for years and that is what society teaches them; instant gratification instead of saving for a rainy day. :(

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
First thing I would do is withdraw my 401k. I have about $11k in it (mostly all in cash) that I would withdraw and use for paying the mortgage. I should get about a year and a half out of that.
Just remember, that it will be more like about $7K after taxes, and if you don't do a hardship withdrawal you will pay a 10% penalty on top of that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Prepping isn't all about acquiring additional food, guns, ammo, molle bags, a BOB, a cool SUV. If you loose your job, prepping should continue at a more furious pace by learning new skills (which might lead to a new job), planning/improving/actually growing a garden (don't have to spend$ on food), gathering/indexing valuable info from the web, printing it off, placing in binders of how to do things in a grid down scenario. Losing ones job could be the impetus to find a good BOL and MOVE there, where you could be looking for a job; learn new skills; integrate into the area; learn a new area, prepare one's lifestyle for deteriorating conditions.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Prepping isn't just for TEOTAWKI, it's for ANYTHING. Unemployment, to me, would be a version of the end of the world...not so drastic but still very stressful. It has happened in the past and I was grateful to have supplies so that at least I didn't have to worry about feeding my kids. If there's no income, don't know how you could continue to prep..unemployment doesn't pay the same as a full-time job....It would be wiser to pick up whatever job or jobs available so you don't go through your stored food and have to start over when you do get back on your feet.
If you have had the time to prepare financially and live frugally, then UI benefits may be enough. It depends on your situation and what the benes will be - I lived in WA state where the benes were pretty good for someone who was employed for more than a year and made more than their upper limit; it was over $2K per month the last time around.

As a single person with no debt and living in a low rent duplex, I was more than able to make ends meet - indeed, I set aside about 25% of the UI benes I got because they weren't needed to live on - yet.

When I hit unemployment I generally shut down any expense I consider a "luxury" such as eating out, buying anything expensive, comfort food and so on. I still have savings to buy something I find a good deal on, but I don't get stuff just to have it - it has to be in my plans. Beyond that I continue putting aside extra food when it is on sale - even if my unemployment lasts longer than the UI benes, then at least I have food that I won't have to buy later.

Right now, my housing expenses have more than doubled because I rent a nice house (I got tired of living in an old 60s duplex with little insulation, single pane glass, a carport that would flood whenever it rained and all my stuff crammed to the ceiling in the spare bedroom).

So UI won't cover it this time around if/when unemployment happens, but it should cover most of it and every month I work I put enough in savings to live another month should things go bad again. That means that not only have I survived another month (one less month to go to retirement), but I have another month of expenses saved up. It is kind of a triple whammy - one less month to survive, one more month of expenses, one less month until retirement.

I make a running budget spreadsheet that I do "what ifs" on to see where I am, where I will be in a year to 30 years, and what would happen if my income stopped tomorrow. One year of income can make a big difference at this point - it will put me over the top from just being able to survive to being able to survive with a nice cushion. Once all the debt is gone then the rest is just icing on the cake.

In short, if they can, a person should live financially as if they will be unemployed tomorrow - because it can and for many people will happen. They should not spend every penny they have on whatever (even if it is preps). If your living expenses are $2K per month and you bring home $4K per month, then don't spend the extra $2K, set it aside or use it to pay down debt. That is one of our problems in the first world countries, especially the USA; on average we save maybe 1% of our income and most of us spend more than we make - usually to buy non-essentials.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
You can only do what you can. Pay the bills to keep the roof over your head and then prep as you can. You have to be bargain conscoius and spend wisely. Also, you can gain knowledge which can be free.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
It seems really funny to me that a lot of people are ranting about the national debt when they turn around and run up their own debt. The government is a lot more able to handle too much debt than the individual.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts