Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you make a Suburban home that is in the confines of a subdivision more self reliant? Almost an acre.

Michael

·
Banned
9 Posts
aquaculture supplies more protein per square feet as it is 3 dimensional .tilapia for small ones and cats or bluegills and bass for larger ones.also crawdads,shrimp,frogs,and rice can be raised in it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can grow a LOT of stuff on almost an acre. I have done it. Use French intensive planting methods for gardening, espaliered fruit and nut trees. An old swimming pool can grow fish (depending on the climate) and if your area permits, have a half dozen chickens around for fresh eggs, and meat. Compost all garden waste and practice good garden hygiene (i.e. no chemicals) and you should be able to harvest a lot of food from your little plot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Most areas of the country allow you to put in a small well that is just for watering plants. You can hand dig one or buy a kit for drilling. Then put a hand pump on it and you have a source of water for your family no matter what happens to the local city. (Probably not good advice if you live in a desert though.) Or put a couple of rain barrels around your house to save your water.

Along with chickens, look into rabbits. A fence that will keep a small hyper dog in will keep rabbits. They will mow you lawn and provide a future emergency food or barter source. (They will also mow all your vegetation, so don't put them with any plant that you want to survive.)

You can also have a milk goat. (For an acre I would look into a smaller breed like *****ian dwarf or kinder.) Remember that goats need to have companionship, so you have to have two.

Of course there are vegetable gardens, fruit trees, mushrooms, etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thank You all for your suggestions. I'm putting a privacy fence in so that
should shield a lot of my goings on from the neighbors. I'm still looking into
the codes as far as options for alternative energy. Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't know about your location but in many parts of the country suburban lands sits on some of the best farm land in that area. You figure what are now suburbs use to be the farmland that supported the cities they surround. I had a few gardens when I lived with my dad in the burbs and they blew away anything I have had at my place in the boonies.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
From the feedlot. this seems to be a general inquiry for nowadays, not shtf. I would skip the quail and stick with chickens. You can feed them on scraps, and serve them back their ground shells for calcium. Quail are great eating, and I have both valley and mountain quail within a short walk, but they are small, I need to shoot four for a decent dinner for the wife and I.

Aquaculture is a great idea. Havnt played enough with it, but plan to.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Whoa...there is a lot you can do with that much space depending on how much your hopme takes up and the ordinances you local has.

One of the easiest things you could do is run all the gutters on your roof, to collect into a few rain barrels. This can collect the water your roof sheds so that you can water your garden plants. In the mean time, even if a SHTF event doesnt happen you can porobably knock a bit off your water bill.

Depending on the regs in your local you can easily do 6 or so laying hens and about 3 full grown rabbits and still have enough to grow out a littler in 8 weeks. Between the two you should be able to get a good bit of meat and eggs from the bunch. It wont keep you out of the grocery store but it will take a good chunk off the monthly bill leaving more funds for other important things.

Add a couple of fruit trees. A couple of properly pruned fruit trees, like a Peach or Plum tree could add a lot of fruit to the menu on the cheap. They should be pruned to spread out and stay short, but shouldnt take up too much room in the yard. In fact this year I had two Satsuma Tangerine trees in 3 cuft pots and got a gang of tangerines off them. You will get a lot of fruit primarily at the end of the year but it can be dried and frozen for later use for that, that you cant eat fresh quick enough.

Start a garden. Even a small one can crank out a lot of produce. Again it wont keep you out of the store but you can reduce your expenses considerably. Try growing some of the more expensive things such as tomatos, bell pepper, etc...this will allow you to get the most bang for the buck from the minimal space you have. I have even managed to mix in a lot of stuff with my landscaping so it doesnt look quiet so obvious. Further more all of that stuff from the chicken cage clean ups and rabbit cage pans will do well in your garden keeping it fertile and producing well.

Aquaculture can be productive, but unless its very well planned I dont think its quiet what its often made out to be. But its doable, I just think it was more work that what I got in return from it. When you got that many fish in a such a small amount of water, water quality issues can be a real PITA. I used 300 gallon poly tanks used for cattle. Maybe something larger such as a water feature with some plants in it could be worked into to your homes landscaping, look nice and serve you much better. It could also add value to your home and provide food too from time to time.

These are just somethings I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
226 Posts
On our small farm what we did to get the most out of the space was to layer. Along the fence we planted garbanzo beans, just off the fence we had plantain trees and citrus trees. As we moved away from the fence we planted larger trees and near the house we had the vegetable gardens. The gardens had lettuce, tomatoes, corn, different types of squash and so on. Some of the trees we had; avocado, mango, guava, papaya. For animals we had chickens and rabbits. This was all done on 2.5 acres, so you can do this on a slightly smaller scale.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Check the housing nazi codes... er I mean Housing association bylaws. Alot have articles that prevent animal husbandry regardless of where... fortuneatly mine is not one so I have chickens. As long as my front is ***** and span they could give two $hits , my backyard is my domain.
To prevent my neighbors from being what they are and that is nosey, I planted bamboo around the perimeter of my fence. This will provide me protection against wandering eyes and provide a bit of sound deadening for me and them.
I would recommend raised beds to save you the trouble of surveying where the cable/phone/water etc. is buried. Plant a few fruit bearing trees as well, grape vines.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Raised beds planted with several varieties of different potatoes and yams. We have several fruit trees, and can make wine/cider. We just started with elephant garlic. Will be prepping a room soon for indoor under lights starting and winter growing, then a lean to room from green house materials to move them out. Should be done by spring.

Go to the farmers markets to get exotic seed potatoes and region specific starts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts