Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about purchasing bug-out land. I’ve been looking for land for some years now with the ideal strategic location, but I haven’t found any within my budget. At this point in time with the way things are going, I could either do one of two things, keep waiting for who know how many more years to find that ideal location, while risking not having anything for now. Or get something now, that’s better than nothing. I do not want to keep waiting anymore. I live in a city apartment and do not want to purchase or keep anymore supplies here until I have a secure location to put them. I don’t want to bury caches on public land either since the state sold off all it’s mineral rights, natural gas excavators can now search and excavate anywhere at anytime. I have friends I can trust, but they either have no extra storage space (they have families of their own) or live too far away. I cannot move now either because of my job. I basically need something that's far enough away from this city, yet close enough to get to quick, like a couple hours, so I can check on it on the weekends every now and then. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, 50 views and no replies. Am I the only one who's ever thought about caching or getting bug-out land or anything like that? Anyone else ever invest in a substantial amount of supplies or preps and not living in an ideal location currently (ie. the city), therefore have concerns about where to keep/store everything without it getting stolen or damaged?

You know what, maybe I should have posted this in the Urban section, I could have got some answers there? Either that or, you know maybe it's my thread title. It's kind of lame now that I think about it.... Ok, yeah, it's my thread title. I need to be more creative next time.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Snake...Lookie here..I was the same way a few years ago...OK 10 years ago. I wanted out of the city too..or at least a place I could retreat to if TSHTF. I picked up 6 acres at the end of a non county maintained road for $900/acre. It is about 35 minutes west of Savannah, Ga. I used it on occasional weekends, shot & camped there many times.

Since then, I have moved further inland, and have a place on 6.5 acres on a lonely street, at the end, my neighbor behind me has 40 acres. I have re-forested 4.5 acres. I cannot be seen easily, it looks like there is nothing at the end of the road.

So, yes, long story short, I've been there and done it.

BTW that land now sits unused due to it's distance. it's worth 10k an acre now. Not a bad investment if I do say so myself. But, even at 5k an acre, due to the economy, I can't seem to get rid of it... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Snake...Lookie here..I was the same way a few years ago...OK 10 years ago. I wanted out of the city too..or at least a place I could retreat to if TSHTF. I picked up 6 acres at the end of a non county maintained road for $900/acre. It is about 35 minutes west of Savannah, Ga. I used it on occasional weekends, shot & camped there many times.

Since then, I have moved further inland, and have a place on 6.5 acres on a lonely street, at the end, my neighbor behind me has 40 acres. I have re-forested 4.5 acres. I cannot be seen easily, it looks like there is nothing at the end of the road.

So, yes, long story short, I've been there and done it.

BTW that land now sits unused due to it's distance. it's worth 10k an acre now. Not a bad investment if I do say so myself. But, even at 5k an acre, due to the economy, I can't seem to get rid of it... :)
I am in Kind of the same predicament Snake is in, Maybe Dayliterun should turn his unused land into a BOL retreat for those who don't have land or cant afford to Buy a whole bunch of it, maybe let people rent spots to put portable sheds/cabins on for $1000 a pop? just an idea I would pay that for a spot

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I am in Kind of the same predicament Snake is in, Maybe Dayliterun should turn his unused land into a BOL retreat for those who don't have land or cant afford to Buy a whole bunch of it, maybe let people rent spots to put portable sheds/cabins on for $1000 a pop? just an idea I would pay that for a spot
Not a bad idea...but wouldn't illinois be a long haul for you? now if the two of you want to go in halves and buy it...:thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heck, yeah! That's a great idea. Anyone here in PA want to offer, hit me up. Heck, I'd like to buy up spots in ID and MT too. Have a couple of BOLs on each side of the states. That'd be awesome. Especially since I will be back on the road for my job soon, flying from one end to the next, I want to be covered wherever I'm at.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not a bad idea...but wouldn't illinois be a long haul for you? now if the two of you want to go in halves and buy it...:thumb:
I had a business partner who has put me in financial ruin(ok ruin is a bit harsh but you get the idea) at the moment so buying acreage is not in the budget at the moment, however buying a spot to put a cabin could be, my Folks live in Florida so GA. would be good do you have any pictures of it or coordinates so I could look at it on google earth? feel free to email me pix at [email protected]

·
Here's a man who stood up
640 Posts
Don't they call that a campground?

·
Squawker
145 Posts
Snake, I think that the reason for the delay in responses is that the majority of us (or a least a large number) are in the same boat as you. I'm currently concentrating on "Shelter in place", but I realize that it may not always be possible. I would love to have a place to retreat to, and I'l keeping an eye out, though it's unlikely that I will be a position to purchase anything for a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts