Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we had a thread on "Naked Into the Wilderness" and here is the consequences of going where you shouldn't if you are not THOROUGHLY prepared.
Mother nature kicks UFC champs ass.
I cannot stress enough the importance of not wandering into the desert or any other wilderness area really thinking the Special Forces Manual you memorized and the high dollar gear you bought will keep you alive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, we had a thread on "Naked Into the Wilderness" and here is the consequences of going where you shouldn't if you are not THOROUGHLY prepared.
Mother nature kicks UFC champs ass.
I cannot stress enough the importance of not wandering into the desert or any other wilderness area really thinking the Special Forces Manual you memorized and the high dollar gear you bought will keep you alive.
Often people will memorize some survival doctrine or participate in relevant training programs and then go looking for dangerous situations with a "How can I use this to make myself look like even more of a badass?" attitude, failing to understand that the training they recieved was designed to get them through a dangerous situation using the mindset "How can I accomplish my mission and make it out of this alive?"

The results of such misunderstandings are almost always the same.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think you're being too harsh on the guy.

These short trips were not new to Tanner, said Vincitorio. It is something that he has done numerous times over the years.
An avid outdoorsman
Apparently he wasn't a greenhorn. He had experience. And considering that we have no information about his exact preparations or the specifics of what happened out there, it would be best to not make premature judgements. The man is dead. I think he's been punished enough.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
I think you're being too harsh on the guy.

Apparently he wasn't a greenhorn. He had experience. And considering that we have no information about his exact preparations or the specifics of what happened out there, it would be best to not make premature judgements. The man is dead. I think he's been punished enough.
We know what he died of: Bad judgment. Riding his bike farther than he could walk. Not prepared for the bike breaking down. Not staying put conserving body fluids. Had to be a Rambo...life ain't fiction.

·
Intemporaliter Fidelis
282 Posts
I started the naked in the wilderness thread and wasn't saying for someone to do it. just wanted to get people to thinking in terms of basics instead of all their hi tech gismos. I stand by that train of thought as I see too many people on this board who plan to rely too much on their "survival tools". they accumulate gismos instead of knowledge.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started the naked in the wilderness thread and wasn't saying for someone to do it. just wanted to get people to thinking in terms of basics instead of all their hi tech gismos. I stand by that train of thought as I see too many people on this board who plan to rely too much on their "survival tools". they accumulate gismos instead of knowledge.
And I agree with you on that last part actually.
And that may, in combination with other things be what got this dude smacked.
This thread was not posted as commentary on yours, I had no intention for it to come off that way.

I'll reply further later but now I get to run out and deal with the wilderness that is county government.....I'd rather be in the desert.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
That dude was dumb..... dumb as they come
That's a highly offensive comment about someone who allegedly did frequent adventuring alone. What do you have on that? Just life? Some people like risks, they are called risk takers. Bungie jumps can go wrong. Are people who come down from K2 masters of adventure and heros, whilst those who don't are dumb? Things can go wrong.. Nothing is more true in this article than the statement that he was more than a fighter, a man of many layers... I don't know of him at all, but you'd have to be complex to go into the desert alone, for any reason. It can't be just to make him look tougher, the guy was already UFC - there's a limit. Complexity can lead to irrational decisions in the eyes of the truly dumb founded, who may live a long, safe but ultimately bordered existences as their brains (or "souls") will never be put to such tests of total self reliance and exposure to difficult environment at the same time.

Perhaps the weight of the bike + gear combined with the ground he took was what used up the gas too soon? Surely there'd have been a plan on his part for gas - that was surely his insufficiency, physics.

·
Don't Tread on Me
381 Posts
That's a highly offensive comment about someone who allegedly did frequent adventuring alone. What do you have on that? Just life? Some people like risks, they are called risk takers. Bungie jumps can go wrong. Are people who come down from K2 masters of adventure and heros, whilst those who don't are dumb? Things can go wrong.. Nothing is more true in this article than the statement that he was more than a fighter, a man of many layers... I don't know of him at all, but you'd have to be complex to go into the desert alone, for any reason. It can't be just to make him look tougher, the guy was already UFC - there's a limit. Complexity can lead to irrational decisions in the eyes of the truly dumb founded, who may live a long, safe but ultimately bordered existences as their brains (or "souls") will never be put to such tests of total self reliance and exposure to difficult environment at the same time.

Perhaps the weight of the bike + gear combined with the ground he took was what used up the gas too soon? Surely there'd have been a plan on his part for gas - that was surely his insufficiency, physics.

What do I have on that? Son I walked the AT... ALL OF IT. What do you have on that frenchie?

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
The what? Assuming it's a mountain somewhere and it is similar in danger to taking to the desert alone, or climbing k2, then you should know a thing or two about how things can go wrong. Or you're making it up ;) I have a lot on that, alone hiking and climbing in African jungle and desert, sonny boy jimmy. Have you been to Timbuktu? It ain't easy. No quick vacation either, but total and prolonged exposure.

·
Don't Tread on Me
381 Posts
I would love to try and attempt K2... but number one... K2 is nothing like being in the desert.... and number two. climbing K2 alone is DUMB

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
I bet it's a beautiful and moderately testing adventure, no doubt, but from a look about it seems sort of mainstream. It ain't the californian desert alone, it ain't k2, it ain't timbuktu after developing several nutritional deficiencies either. Why can't you get over yourself? I know the guy in this story was an adventurer, like me, like you claim to be. Yet you'd spit on his failed spiritual journey. Why? To define survivalist, because you are still alive after your big long walk over a mountain path? Are there bandits slinging Aks on AT btw? Dudes just sitting there with an AK for a badge? Oh there's bears? Well what about Nile crocs circling your crappy ass crammed boat for 3 days? Sounds like we've both seen things alone, but you can't pay respect to a failed effort.

And I never said desert and snow were the same and you know it. They are both testing environments is the point.

·
Don't Tread on Me
381 Posts
I bet it's a beautiful and moderately testing adventure, no doubt, but from a look about it seems sort of mainstream. It ain't the californian desert alone, it ain't k2, it ain't timbuktu after developing several nutritional deficiencies either. Why can't you get over yourself? I know the guy in this story was an adventurer, like me, like you claim to be. Yet you'd spit on his failed spiritual journey. Why? To define survivalist, because you are still alive after your big long walk over a mountain path? Are there bandits slinging Aks on AT btw? Dudes just sitting there with an AK for a badge? Oh there's bears? Well what about Nile crocs circling your crappy ass crammed boat for 3 days? Sounds like we've both seen things alone, but you can't pay respect to a failed effort.

And I never said desert and snow were the same and you know it. They are both testing environments.
Wow you are talking pretty nasty about the AT.... Mainstream? Come the fu ck on... are you kidding me?

I called him DUMB because the dude WAS DUMB. How are you gonna be that far away from your campsite with NO GAS? I am saying dude was DUMB because his death could of been avoided VERY EASILY like say.... RIDING WITH A EXTRA GAS CAN????

so once again.... the dude is DUMB

·
Don't Tread on Me
381 Posts
I don't think you fully understand how far 2,175 miles is..... "mountain path" as you call it.... rofl

french people are funny

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
I called him DUMB because the dude WAS DUMB. How are you gonna be that far away from your campsite with NO GAS? I am saying dude was DUMB because his death could of been avoided VERY EASILY like say.... RIDING WITH A EXTRA GAS CAN????

so once again.... the dude is DUMB
Now you see you equally have a problem in physics. More gas means more weight. The guy will have had a gas plan for the desert, on a motorbike. It was just the wrong plan. I already suggested that either weight and certainly unforetold ground could explain the slower progress and greater full consumption.

I don't think you fully understand how far 2,175 miles is..... "mountain path" as you call it.... rofl

french people are funny
News alert; I'm English. I don't know of the trail, but it was chosen for a reason - no doubt because it was the easiest way around the mountain - sounds kinda civilised to me. I know what 2,175 miles is and I know the difference when it's bad terrain. The essential point however is that you could come across another trekker, when in trouble, or have given a landmark to be pinpointed. Anyhow, there's a rescue service for you that won't operate up k2 or in Africa.

·
Don't Tread on Me
381 Posts
Now you see you equally have a problem in physics. More gas means more weight. The guy will have had a gas plan for the desert, on a motorbike. It was just the wrong plan. I already suggested that either weight and certainly unforetold ground could explain the slower progress and greater full consumption.
Yes I understand that....

but more gas means more life...

less gas means less life...

get it?:taped:

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Erm what? You "get" that more fuel is more weight and greater weight = greater consumption but then say;

Yes I understand that....

but more gas means more life...

less gas means less life...

get it?:taped:
I don't get it. A balance has to be struck. His balance may have been correct for a forest path, but not for a desert trail. Things went wrong and all the same you label him "dumb".. This is getting old.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.