Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Happy to be here!
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from our Tennessee vacation. We flew in using only carry on, so I arrived in Tennessee with no weapons or tools. We got our compact rental and headed for the cabin. At the cabin rental office they said to get supplies as it was snowing, and expected to continue snowing the next two days.

At the grocery store, the snow was already building up, and there was a full panic rush to get supplies. We had locals telling us to stock up for days because we might get snowed in. We picked up some food and drinks, and headed out. As we were heading up to the cabin, there were crashes everywhere due to the snowy conditions, loads of southerners in rental cars like me, and the steep and windy roads. The car in front of us was rear wheel drive, and all over the road. He was unable to climb the mountain, and ended up turning around.

I found out later that the road was closed shortly after we passed. I was very worried we wouldn't be able to get to the cabin, and would end up sleeping in the car as hotels filled up fast.

After a treacherous and painstakingly slow drive, we finally arrived at the cabin at about 5 PM. We were the only cabin occupants on the mountain. Shortly after arriving, the power went out. So, no heat in the cabin. Unfortunately, the water also went out with the power. The cabin was very poorly stocked, and didn't even have spare blankets or candles. Thank God there was a propane fireplace, or we would have been in serious trouble.

So we filled up everything that would hold water, until the tap ran dry. Then we turned on the propane only (No chimney) fireplace and jammed the timer in the on position. We moved all the mattresses into the fireplace room, and closed all other doors. It worked, and managed to keep the room toasty for the night. By that time it was dark, and we had no flash light or light source other that the fireplace. We went to bed for the night.

In the morning, I managed to pull the safety grate off the front of the fireplace in order to boil water in a pot. We fixed coffee and oatmeal for breakfast. I called the rental office, but no one would be in till 9AM. We managed to find the number for the local electric company, and left a message on their emergency line. Fortunately, a plow/ salt truck came through about mid morning, allowing us to come and go at will in the car. Crisis over.

Long story short, I hated being at the mercy of others for my survival essentials. At one point, my wife asked me, "What will we do if the propane runs out?" "What if this goes on for days?" We had no equipment. Even if I had an ax, I couldn't build a fire in the cabin due to the stupid propane only design. We would have had to raid one of the other unoccupied cabins to survive.

Interesting experience non the less....

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,679 Posts
We will be in the Cherokee NC area next Christmas. But will be driving my 4X4 Explorer as it is only about 6 1/2 hour drive for me.

Reactions: Fishrarr and WILL

·
Adaptable.
1,979 Posts
So, what would you different next time? I lived in one of "those cabins" on one of "those roads" and have nearly skated chained ATVs off the road. My cabin was fully stocked to be snowed in, and my truck was equipped to be snowed out. If the roads were half as bad as ours, you could have easily pulled a James Kim. Please be careful, and if you don't have tools/weapons, for god sakes, rent something with at least AWD, if not 4wd.

Surviving is being prepared, not foolhardy.

·
Happy to be here!
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, what would you different next time? I lived in one of "those cabins" on one of "those roads" and have nearly skated chained ATVs off the road. My cabin was fully stocked to be snowed in, and my truck was equipped to be snowed out. If the roads were half as bad as ours, you could have easily pulled a James Kim. Please be careful, and if you don't have tools/weapons, for god sakes, rent something with at least AWD, if not 4wd.

Surviving is being prepared, not foolhardy.
Yea, that's true. Sometimes sh*t happens, and you get stuck in a situation. We had no idea we would be driving into a snow storm when we were renting the car at the airport. The local forecast was calling for rain. Of coarse that forecast changed as we gained elevation. Then, we're 1/2 way up the mountain before we realized what a mess we were in. So the choices were; drive back down 1/2 the mountain and sleep in the car (because we didn't have the money to pay twice for shelter, and all local hotels were probably booked), or drive up the other 1/2 of the mountain to get to shelter. No easy out there. In hind sight, I would have checked a bag containing all my survival gear, rented a 4x4 with chains, paid closer attention to the weather report and got a cabin in the valley. You can't win 'em all. In the end, prudent driving, and calculated risks won the day, although it certainly could have gone bad. I'm just grateful my family and I came out of it OK. I'm pointing out the frightening events of the trip. I should also mention that we had a great time doing plenty of fun activities while up there.

·
Happy to be here!
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn that stinks especially on a vacation
That's weird the water tap shut off, I wonder why that is?
The cabin was probably supplied with water via a well with an electric pump, but I'm not sure.

holy friggin cow will, were you born yesterday? man how long have you been on this site and you let something like that happen????? that’s why you don’t fly. you drive, with all your gear.
Here at the Casa De Will, we like to take a vacation once a year. It's good for the soul to leave all our problems, daily routines, worries, everything behind and just live a fantasy, care free life for a week or so. I don't think we'll be giving that up until TSHTF. The day I can't leave my house for a vacation without taking all my survival stuff with me, is the day I know I'm too obsessed. Although, a knife, lighter and some other basics would have been nice no matter what.

·
Crazy old man
1,286 Posts
Glad to hear you got through with only minor dings. Now going to the mountains you should have checked the weather reports and packed accordingly. Next stop Walmart for a pocket knife,matches, flashlight, and hand warmers and food that don't need to be cooked. Part of being a prepper is planning ahead.:thumb:

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Glad to hear you made it out. I can appreciate your sitiuation. Its hard to always plan ahead. Especially when your trying to take a break! I travel quite often with my family, and I travel ALOT for work. We went up to Montgomery on the 18th for a few days, stayed in a couple of different hotels, I have three kids we have to get suites. We have things down pretty good finally. Thank God for hotel points! However, when I fly, I always check my bags, easier to move around the terminal and I will always have my minialist equipment with me when I get where Im going.

Hope you enjoyed the trip though.

Reactions: WILL

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
The cabin was probably supplied with water via a well with an electric pump, but I'm not sure.

Here at the Casa De Will, we like to take a vacation once a year. It's good for the soul to leave all our problems, daily routines, worries, everything behind and just live a fantasy, care free life for a week or so. I don't think we'll be giving that up until TSHTF. The day I can't leave my house for a vacation without taking all my survival stuff with me, is the day I know I'm too obsessed. Although, a knife, lighter and some other basics would have been nice no matter what.
Next time dude head south.

Reactions: WILL

·
Custom User Title
2,969 Posts
Today i woke up and my wind shield was slightly frosted over. It was hardcore.
Just kidding,
but my point is that ive never experienced any kind of extreme weather in my life. I would be screwed in a situation like that.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Today i woke up and my wind shield was slightly frosted over. It was hardcore.
Just kidding,
but my point is that ive never experienced any kind of extreme weather in my life. I would be screwed in a situation like that.
Don't be so hard on yourself; you can't expect to have experienced everything in just 12 years. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Things change in a hurry in the mountains. I've seen it slightly misting in the valley and all out snowing up on the mountain. I can understand how Will got caught like this. You'd think the rental company would have extra blankets and a real fireplace with wood stocked in those cabins. I appreciate you sharing your story, Will. Maybe it'll save me some grief. We hope to spend a few days in the mountains after the 1st of the year - hopefully snowed in. It wouldn't do me any good to take firewood if there's no stove or fireplace. I'll be checking to make sure the cabin has one or the other. I can scrimp on food and stretch it but no heat - that's a problem in my book. My bones are to old for extreme cold.

This is also why we have stopped taking trips far from home - so we don't have to fly. The last vacation we took to California it struck me .... ok, what will you do if something happens and you're 2,800 miles from home/supplies? The answer came .... I'd be up sh-- creek without a paddle. If it ain't a distance I can drive (taking some supplies), I ain't going. And if I can't get home within a day, I ain't going. That pretty much leaves me traveling around the south but that's ok too! The only way I'd wander from this is if I had a motor home or travel trailer or if I was going to visit someone I knew had stocks and would help us until we could get back home.

This also brings me to another thing I have thought of. I know we are all worried about privacy and strangers but I would not mind taking emergency supplies to another member who finds themselves without their stocks. I'm not talking about opening your home to strangers but wouldn't it be nice if we could PM another member and say ... I'm on vacation and in trouble, can you help? I would get blankets, food, heating source or whatnot to someone who called on me. We need to remember shtf isn't just a national emergency. Being on vacation and ending up in a blizzard without supplies is a temporary shtf. You could meet at a Waffle House or a shopping center or the side of the road if you don't want someone knowing where your property is.

I don't know where in the mountains you were, Will. If it was anywhere in the mountains of southern NC, SC or GA, I would have gotten to you if you PM'd me.

·
Gott Mit Uns
2,855 Posts
Will, no reason to at least be armed yr LEO that will let you carry in any state. True it is a little bit of a hassle at the airport, I took one of my CZ's instead of dept. issue, as if I lost the Sheriff's Glock he gave me he would kill me.:D:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts