Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Combat marxism Now!
8,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oldest and best friend had a hemorrhagic stroke. After 2 brain surgeries, he's finally awake (if you can call it that) and in recovery. His right side is completely paralyzed.

The critical care nursing home provides a basic level of therapy. Maybe 30 minutes a few days per week. (he's in a bed-cage so he can't fall out)

Anyway, his R arm is stiffening up, and I've tried to get him to move it using his left arm. He seems "almost" able to understand that he needs to move his limp limb and I can get him to do it once. I think he forgets immediately.

I've seen some electrical devices that repetitively and scientifically stimulate specific muscles at helpful intervals. Supposedly, this device will help the brain produce new pathways and may help stroke victims to regain movement.

Any thoughts would be great! I'm going to visit him tomorrow or the next day and would love to be of help to him and his family. If only to manually move his limbs and see my buddy.

On another note, it really hurts to see him like this.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,955 Posts
The first 6 months are really vital to recovery. My husband made huge progress in that time and then stopped.

Get the therapists to show you the arm/leg exercises and then you can do them with him when you visit. Contractures can be very painful so this is a good thing to do for him.

My husband has been screaming in pain for days now with this cold front aggravating his back so I get not wanting to see them suffer. It is almost as exhausting as hurting, yourself.

A friend of mine had a stroke recently and is falling a lot, it is hard to watch but he is doing a lot better than my husband, at least.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts