Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep all of my AR ammo on stripper clips for ease of loading.
But I have noticed that with some of them, it is harder to strip the ammo off and into the mag.
They don't appear to be bent or anything, just...well, dry.
Can these things be lubricated? If so, with what?
I wouldn't want the ammo to get all gooey by coating with oil, so I was thinking of powdered graphite.
Has anyone had any experience with this problem? How did you fix it?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Save your thumb and use a magazine or some other tool to strip load your mags. Strippers are ment to be disposable after use, and get twisted somewhat. Use gloves and try twisting back and forth by hand. DO NOT USE LUBRICANTS!

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
Are you using wolf ammo? Brass cases are more "slick". Just buy a gross of stripper clips and toss out the bad ones.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,302 Posts
There are several stripper helpers that ram the ammo for you, saving your thumb. Also, as you load the strippers is the time to straighten or deburr any problematic ones. I have the same problem with SKS clips too. Some need a little tuning, or just throw them out.

You can use powdered graphite on them, but I'd still suggest either fixing them or tossing them as you load them when you encounter a bad one.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
I have been using an M16 and AR versions since 1970...I have never had a problem with stripper clips.Guess i am lucky....I take the magazine in my left hand and with stripper clip in i use the bottom of my right index finger and push the rounds in..:thumb: OR just buy extra mags and forget about the clips...

·
Registered
492 Posts
I keep all of my AR ammo on stripper clips for ease of loading.
But I have noticed that with some of them, it is harder to strip the ammo off and into the mag.
They don't appear to be bent or anything, just...well, dry.
Can these things be lubricated? If so, with what?
I wouldn't want the ammo to get all gooey by coating with oil, so I was thinking of powdered graphite.
Has anyone had any experience with this problem? How did you fix it?
When all else fails just remember; Cosmolene for every scene.:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts