Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
A stripper clip is a thin strip of bent metal, sometimes referred to as an en bloc (M1 Garands), that will hold from 5, to 8 rounds of ammo in a convenient form to load all into the firearm at once by just pushing them down into the internal magazine--the area were ammo is stored...Enblocs remain in the magazine and are ejected out when the last bullet is fired...

In the USA a magazine is a removable device that holds additional rounds for your firearm...it can and has been called a clip in other countries...

A rifle like the .303 British SMLE Lee Enfield has a drop down, detachable magazine but is loaded by stripper clips...As you don't remove the magazine (clip) except to clean the interior...

There are also devices called moon clips which hold rimless rounds into a revolver, usually in half moon (3 or 4 shot) configurations but 5, 6 and 8 round full moons have been made

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
You can tell who knows what they are doing by looking in those ammo cans.The wooden crates, spam cans and paper boxes are long gone. In place of the crate, two cans are left with inspected and clipped ammo at ready. They have purchased all of the system components and have them properly prepared in advance. They store their gear this way from day one.

Once the rifle and load out are on the person, merely grabbing the cans and carrying them into position ensures freshly loaded mags are available from the empties in about 20-25 seconds each. for the duration of a wooden crate. This guys biggest mistake is not having a layer of stripper adapters on the top of each box. Shame on him.

There are a lot of people on these sites giving a lot of bad advice, and they don't even have a clue what they may come up against. They refuse to listen to anything their ego won't let them.

We call those folks .......cannon fodder and they are filling peoples heads with garbage just to hear themselves speak.

Listen to the ammo lesson and do what is proven and right.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11672&d=1234645970

That is 600 rds of ammo on old style clips with adapters built in, a fully ready bolt, spring kit, spare extractor, cleaning kit, bottle of oil and solvent,a jungle clamp to put two mags together, dust caps for the clamped mags, and a tool kit. The spare 4 mag pouch sits on top for another 120rds at ready. The black strap has snaps on each end and is adjustable so it can be snapped to the can handle and the can can be worn over the shoulder for moves and position changes. Add to that a 30 in the rifle and another 4 mag pouch for an additional 150 rds. 870 rds total in one can, and load out with enough parts to last two lifetimes. There is also 130 rds of differing soft point hunting rounds at the bottom of the parts. Slide spring and a couple other parts taped to the lid.

That is for one (1) rifle. That is also the primary can. Additional cans have ammo and stripper system only.

·
Unrepentant Sinner
371 Posts
AR-15's, AK-47's, etc. use magazines.

M-1 Garand, Carcano, etc. use clips

Mausers, Enfields, etc. use strippers (aka chargers).

The difference between a "clip" and a "charger" is that the clip stays in the weapon till the last round is fired, while the charger is only used to insert the rounds into the magazine and is then removed. I know, it is kind of nitpicky, but technically there is a difference. In the end, it doesn't matter if you know what it's called, only that you know how to use them effectively.

"You can tell who knows what they are doing by looking in those ammo cans.The wooden crates, spam cans and paper boxes are long gone. In place of the crate, two cans are left with inspected and clipped ammo at ready. They have purchased all of the system components and have them properly prepared in advance. They store their gear this way from day one." -Brew

The truly prepared not only have the rounds in clips, magazines, or strippers, but also have these stored in bandoliers. Just reach in the can, grab a couple, and go.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
my rifle rounds are all in stripper clips in bandalears in zip lock bags in ammo cans for long term storage.i also have a ww2 garand type ammo belt you wear with pockets that will hold over a 100rds in stripper clips.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
The truly prepared not only have the rounds in clips, magazines, or strippers, but also have these stored in bandoliers. Just reach in the can, grab a couple, and go.

Bandoleers are always a big, double edged sword.

On one side: In fast action they become a time wasting encumbrance fumbling with each pocket. The end user has to decide if they want to take valuable extra seconds as critical windows in time open and close. Ask yourself if you are comfortable taking 25-40 seconds to reload an empty mag, or you want to load a mag in 15-25 seconds. It takes me 20-25 second to load a 30rd AK mag. Takes the wife 15-18 for a 30rd in the carbine.
When I had bandoleers for the carbine the wife called bull**** on them and tossed them in the garbage. (after I went out of my way to high grade a lot of them and buy new card boards, etc.) She has a very good point even though I made the effort. Under 20 seconds is worth getting rid of them.

On the other side, its awful damn hard to share a loose can of ammo when everyone is spread out and that could be fatal. A serious mistake if a group plans on ammo sharing. The best sets come from Old Sarge on Gunbroker, or from his webstore. Or you can put together the pieces by getting the cotton from J&G for .50 cents each and the finding strippers and card boards in bulk. The cottons reek so plan on washing them. The smell of bodies and mold is very strong.

Since we don't use them we replaced the function of bandoleers, with magazine shoulder bags, so if a hand off is needed, its always a bag full of mags. (makes sense. why hand off strippers?)

Now for other ammo and big bore ammo, I keep a certain amount in cotton bandoleers, some stacked in ar mag pouches and some in single boxes of three or four strippers. To answer that part yes a certain amount of big bore ammo is on strippers in bandoleers, but only if the strippers go straight into the weapon. Not for any ammo that goes into mags.

A very good point on the bandoleers though, and each person needs to see what works best for them and their budget, as well as their skills and the time they expect to use for mag loading.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
the bandoleers are only used to carry extra ammo not to quick load from the garand belt with pockets is what i load from ,im useing a bolt action rifle not a semi auto,the enfield holds 10 rds counting your shots every 5th round you reload 5 always leaveing you with 5,my semi auto i have enought mags i can shoot over 400rds befor haveing to reload the mags.i consider my bolt rifle my main gun, the semi is for close up group use if you had many against you.you can set out a few stripper clips beside you if your in one place and reloading 5 rds doesnt take very long only a few seconds with practice,you dont have to remove the stripper clip by hand closeing the bolt will kick off the clip,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts