Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are jobs they can't offshore for the most part or they would already be gone overseas.
According to the article, Verizon was trying to outsource some of the jobs to Mexico.

Reactions: pearlselby

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
if the company is showing multi-billions in profits it doesnt need to cut the wages of low paying jobs as well as add more expenses to them.

they arnt makeing enough to be considered middle class they are low paying blue collar workers they want to take from. (same old story the rich get richer while the poor get pooer)

corp. greed really sickens me, i will never use verizon again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's an unlicensed trade here in mass.
The verison tecs have had a good ride at 38.00 or more per hour + benifits + O.T.
They have Gps in there trucks and are watched fairly close now but for the pay it's a dam good job with a retirement package to boot.
Don't know if they can keep the gravy train running much longer???

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Not easy to replace those workers. They aren't just random folks off the street and I doubt if there are 45K people locally both trained appropriately and unemployed to fill the gaps. It would take a bit of training, particularly those in the fiber optics area.

"Verizon is looking to tie pay increases to performance review and require union workers to contribute to health-plan premiums. The company is also seeking to freeze pensions at the end of the year, eliminate the sickness and death benefit program, cut in half the sickness disability benefits from 52 weeks to 26 weeks and reduce sick time, according to a memo signed by William Huber, president of IBEW, Local 827."
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/verizon_workers_outline_differ.html

He may be overstating the issue but that is enough to make anyone think seriously about a strike.

Some of the people on strike are not field techs but rather phone support. Those jobs would be farmed out to Bangladesh in a heartbeat if not for some very serious consumer backlash at not being able to understand a Hindi accent. Verizon does have quite a few non-union people working as contractors who get no benefits at all. The union is more concerned about their jobs going to vendors than they are of them going overseas.

I don't think it will be an easy time of it for Verizon customers in the east with phone, data or video problems. Not nearly enough contractors to go around. It will probably be no new services and only repairs for emergency situations.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts