Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I discovered that despite believing that I am a rock that I am only human and suffer from some stress related conditions. Never having faced up to the fact that I could suffer fromm stress I have no real idea of what to do to minimise it or manage it. Mostly work related so no chance of removing the source unfortunately. But just thinking that this is something I need to work on before any shtf situations where it might be a serious liability. Anyone have any strategies or tips?

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Wow. Been there, done that, still working threough it. Work related in the past.. no longer an issue as far as work, but life will always have it's stresses. Search the net for some advice. Some stress is avoidable, some obviously isn't. There are lots of suggestions to deal with stress. Lots! Seems to depend on the source of stress, individual personalities, even diet. I'd suggest spending some time on the 'net, talk to friends, make a quest of it and don't expect an immediate cure. Enjoy the quest and understand that you're already on your way to feeling better. Keep in mind that you probably can't see the forest for the trees initially. It took you a while to accumulate the stress.. it will take some time to shed it. It may require a visit to the doc's and there are some medications that will help you regain perspective without making you a zombie. lol It's true. Don't overlook that option. Stress is real. ..always has been, but these are very stressful times, ya know. Besides medications, there are hobbies, excersize ( a good one ), fun distractions ( remember fun? ), ... look into the possibilities. Plan a garden, go swimming (indoors!), learn to cook new dishes ( I found out that I can cook ! ), go for hikes... hunt... small game, or edible plants, ..
Try the library too.. Free books on stress management. Also books on everything else!! I like to just browse... mostly in the technical stuff... historical stuff..
Maybe don't watch too much news? Just enough to keep up on the latest few headlines. It's definitely a process. It's esy to get caught up in the negative, but there's a lot of positive out there too. Keep in touch. You sure aren't alone.

·
Wasteland Wanderer
540 Posts
There is a breathing exercise called Deep Breathing (no, not just big breaths) that might be of some help in a panic attack type situation. It's also great to calm a racing mind before bed.

Other then that, try to take some time to yourself. Maybe go for a walk, or take a nap. Turn off all the electronics (cell phones, computer, etc) and try to do *nothing* for a while.

Baths are also great, especially with scented products such as lavender. If you are keeping a garden, lavender is invasive and requires practically no maintenance.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Keep a supply of vitamin b12 it's great for stress, I take it daily and it helps me for the most part... I do have high stress days that cause me to have a migrane so I have to medicate for that. I do find that if I am stressing at home, I can wash my car... the running water and concentration on one thing allows me to forget.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
I think a lot of stress has to do with two things: time and perspective.

First,
if you make time for yourself to unwind, you will not be as prone to stress. A lot of stress is from being in a chronic state of worry or fuss without taking a break. If the stress is tied to your job, removing yourself from the job site can provide some relief. This could be as simple as not eating lunch at your desk/jobsite/whatever, and sitting down and taking your time with your meal. If you aren't a smoker and other people like to take smoke breaks, buy a pack and "puff" on a cigarrette outside for five minutes if you get REALLY stressed. When I worked retail, just saying "I need a break" was considered lazy, while smoking breaks were perfectly acceptable to the chainsmoking management. I learned to "smoke" on the job for some stress relief.

Secondly, if you have a negative frame of mind, you are going to be fixated on all of the bad stuff going on, and the good stuff will seem to elude you. Literally, you become incapable of looking at the bright side of things. Being too stressed in the first place can keep you in a negative frame of mind, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Brutal is right about doing an activity that lets you concentrate on something else- it gets your mind out of the haphazard rut of stress and lets you "re-zero" your thinking.

I'm a pretty laid-back person, but the type of stress I encounter most often comes from the nature of my job. I work in networking support, and its a job in which things are in a constant state of breaking down (due to age or sysadmin incompetence), and you basically fight entropy all day.

Networking is a funny beast as well- since everything is so interconnected, tweaking one setting can cause three other things to break. Then you have the occasional clueless admin that hoses their servers doing something waay over their head, then throwing their hands up and saying "It just doesn't work, I dunno." Come to think of it, almost all of the NOC staff are smokers...

Reactions: joes

·
Registered
122 Posts
B complex vitamins, Fish Oil, Rescue Remedy and Bach Flower essences (Google it), deep breathing, Zen mindfulness practices (you can do them without being Buddist). Reminding yourself of what is important. I do much better with stress since I lost a child and I can now easily sort out what is important in my life and worth my mental energies and what is as they say "sweating the small stuff".

Oh and Vitamin D. Most people are deficient in this country.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Everyone knows exercise is good for stress relief and will even tell you so, but look at how few of them do it. Someone showed me a 10 minute weight lifting routine and all you need are two 25 pound dumbells (cost about $20 each) and 6 square feet of floor to do it.

I have done many exercise programs but this is the only one i have stuck with (for 5 years now). Because it is fast yet good. Alot of people think this sounds too easy, i tell them please try it once and then tell me so again -
1. 40 squats. (not all the way down - bad for the knees. I go to 90 degree leg angle for most of the squats.)
2. 20 leg lifts
3. 20 stomach crunches
4. 20 curls/military press (curl weight and raise over your head).
5. 25 calf raises
6. 30 pushups
7. 20 tricep press
8. 20 squats with weight (hold one or both dumbbells while squatting.)

All this takes me 10 - 12 minutes and i am puffing at the end.

If you dont get much exercise there is no outlet for all your stress. Remember our bodies are still biologically those of a caveman, when we are stressed our body gets ready for fight or flight! But what happens when, modern people that we are, we can do NEITHER? Can you punch your boss or just run away out the company door when you get stressed, NO! You cant (unfortunately). Thus the body gets out of synch with the mind - since all the stress reactions your body is making have little or no physical outlet! The more stressed you are the better exercise will do for you. Even if you arent interested in living to 95 like Jack la lane you will still feel better now, today and tomorow, the tough part is motivating yourself and staying motivated to do it.

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
Scotch!

St. John's Wart can help as can exercise.
A simple method that can also help is to work as if you own the company.

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
Scotch! :D:

St. John's Wart can help as can exercise.
A simple method that can also help is to work as if you own the company.

·
Registered
806 Posts
exactly

Jog ,lift weights, hit a heavy bag, any physical activity that burns off excess energy will help you sleep and reduce stress.
This would be exactly my advice. For general stress and worry, go cardio.
For anger and frustration, go high impact. Punchbag or wood splitting, etc. Some controlled adrenaline.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take vitamins. And go to a spa for a body scrub. It makes you feel good and good-looking. Not to mention that it clears your mind from negative thoughts (even just for a while) giving you a different perspective on that day.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Stress is not necessarily a bad thing, it is when it overtaxes our coping mechanisms that its dangerous. So how do you innoculate yourself from stress. Everything I saw mentioned sounds good. I like to play hard. Spending time with my kids, friends and doing the things that I enjoy. Getting enough sleep, water and exercise. Putting things in perspective.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A lot of good recommendations above. I suffered form depression and stress for a long, long time. For depression, you need to see a Doctor. You just can't beat it by yourself. Emotional pain comes first. Then comes the physical pain usually followed by drugs or alcohol. Go see a Dr.

For stress, it was much easier to get rid of. My Dr. said that I'd given all I could give and didn't have anymore. I simply had to start saying F**k it. Things just aren't that important. That what I did and I did it a lot. It was like a miracle.

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts