Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Straw poll on prepping & survivalism
Big Paul and I were chatting this morning about public perceptions of prepping and how it should or could be handled and I feel I would like to hear from other preppers and survivalists on their approach.
For example both BP and I follow the Grey Man school of thought, IE we like to remain low profile, unnoticed by the authorities, we don’t advertise our culture. We believe discretion is a vital part of operational security so we don’t have anyone trying to steal or sieze our hard earned prep equipment and supplies.
But we are both aware that other prepper’s like to do the exact opposite, IE Advertise what they are and what they do, T shirts, Car Stickers, Patches etc actively telling everyone who looks that the wearer / driver is a prepper or survivalist.
I like to listen to and learn from my fellow preppers and wonder which approach you use if any ?
Are you low key staying in the shadows, remaining private etc or do you announce to the world what your beliefs are.
Please take a moment to give me a bit of feedback please.:D:
NR

·
Registered
858 Posts
neither announce to the world or hide them. I'f a power cut occurs the conversation easily turns to how much we depend on Electricity and I point out the how some basic prepping would prevent many problems etc etc add the same thing with many moans and groans of life and you can educate people bit by bit.

Molst foget it once the powers back on though...

·
Whippersnapper
2,664 Posts
I think I have a similar approach jubbles, I don't hide from it, but I certainly don't flaunt it.
I have some things on my side though, academic foundation and to discuss it on that basis is very useful- it takes it away from personal and makes it theoretical. They can draw their own conclusions from the discussion. Often follows the question; do you do this? Do you have that? Etc, but a simple answer of "i have simple things in place if the power cuts out, and we naturally keep some food- as I expect everyone does" avoids the question and leaves plenty of doubt. The academic interest is a very useful tactic though.
So Yeh, gray man who studies and works with disasters fits me well. Certainly no tshirts, bumper stickers or preaching how people should do this and that, and no comment on what steps I myself have taken.

·
Bushcrafter
1,420 Posts
I think keeping schtum/low profile is the best policy and do not talk to anyone outside of the forums about prepping. I have tried to tell people I know, that based on the financial data I've been reading up on, there's a good chance that the banks might shut at some point with a possible currency collapse thrown in and they may not be able to get food or fuel but in every single person I told this to, a strange gormless smile appeared on their face, like the lights were on but nobody was home, which was invariably followed by the statement 'Don't be so silly, that can't happen here!' and some people actually got really angry, so I think it's best to leave well alone and let them learn by experiencing it.......everyone must choose their own path in this life and I don't think it's right or economical to waste your time, effort and life energies talking to people who are not and will never be, receptive to your message......

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
my opsec is so tight my wife doesnt know all the supplies i have stored up. :thumb: my opsec is on a need to know bases and she dont need to know.(lol)she knows i have been stocking up but she doenst know what all we have. 3 years ago she thought i was silly for doing it but after the news started telling ppl how bad the economy was getting i havent heard a word about it in over 2 years :thumb: she doesnt ask i dont tell (mainly im afraid she will tell her friends/family who dont prep, eventhough ive stressed not to)

now if i go to the range for practice all she say's is, " dont shoot all your ammo", lol she has no clue :D:

even on here i dont talk about what/of /how many ,i have of any weapons/ammo at all

side note: there for a while i tried to wake ppl up but you cant wake ppl up who arnt ready to be woken up.i even burn a few dvd's to show them, some watched which are awake now,others i couldnt even get them to watch a DVD.i tried to get elderly single women to get a gun but i dont think any of them did.i dont even try anymore.i never told anyone that im stocking up what i do is tell them (if the subject comes up) "its a good idea to stock up on supplies, i wish i could afford to do it because i would if i had the money" :thumb: to everyone im always broke (that because any/all spare money goes to prepps)

·
E&E enthusiast
432 Posts
My neighboors just think im the bloke that goes fishing and camping :D:
I dont talk to them about prepping , i dont talk to workmates about prepping either.
I do talk and encourage people of a like mind to consider it but thats it , cast the bait and wait for someone to bite ! If someone shows intrest i will help them as much as i can but only if they make similar effort. Survivalism isnt a one way street and takers are sussed out straight away as NR posted in a thread a little while ago.
I have a small network of like minded friends i share info with and ideas on a private forum as i have learned its best to stick with your own.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I feel Im in the same boat as Englander above me.

I used to be telling people etc, but that was when I was naive enough to think I could change people.

Now me & the wife does it low key. I have no curious neighbours eighter.

·
Banned
759 Posts
Straw poll on prepping & survivalism
Big Paul and I were chatting this morning about public perceptions of prepping .
For example both BP and I follow the Grey Man school of thought.
Please take a moment to give me a bit of feedback please.:D:
NR
I dont think i'm quite as low key as NR, however people looking at our vehicle and the way we dress may think we are a lot of things( we did live in Glastonbury for 10 years) but i dont think prepper or survivalist would be anywhere on their list! we dont tell anyone what we are or that we've even got a store cupboard,(especially not the neighbours), i dont think its any of their business!:thumb:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I agree with your gray man approach. Don't advertise you have preps and maybe you can get out or harms way. Hardest thing for the newbies is to find like minded groups.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The boards are of good help, but I would love to have someone in the same area. But that is something you cannot expect! So prepare to be alone!

Im just the guy next door that likes to fish!

·
V
21,713 Posts
Survivalists? Aren't they those goofy nuts in the states running around the woods in camo sporting wannabe military guns trying to live like a caveman?......*shiver* guns :eek: oohh scarey ;)...........

Prepper? Whats that then? Is that like a costcutter knock off of Dr Pepper the fizzy drink? :xeye:

My pistol bow?............ I like target shooting in the garden its safer than a gun oooohhh scarey guns :thumb:
My machete's?............... Gardening :thumb:
My knives and outdoors stuff................ Bushcraft :thumb:
My garden........... Cheaper than the shops and the waiting list for an allotment is silly :thumb:
My chickens.......... Pets who lay eggs :thumb:
My water bucket.............. better than chlorinated tap water for the garden :thumb:
My food cupboard................. oh I buy in larger quantities when the prices are low saves money in the long run and we eat alot of tuna :thumb:

I think thats low enough, if I went any lower I'd bleat when I take a dump :D:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts