Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building Tire Product Automotive tire Door

So, I went into my extended pantry in order to make a list for a trip to the city next weekend. I am bringing my Son back to the University. I get there 3-4 times a year. Costco, WinCo, Asian and World food markets. This a big deal because we live 240 miles away from such luxury. I always spend at least 500 bucks per trip and usually much more, on foods to stock up on.
For a couple of decades, it seemed we were always playing catch up, with large holes that needed to be filled. Not this time. It has become clear that my need to do a large shopping trip to Costco et el, is no longer needed. They offer nothing that will add anything more to my pantry that would work within a reasonable rotation schedule. I have no more than 5 items on my shopping list. Olive oil, fresh garlic, dishwasher pods, garbage bags and Basmati rice.

Now, I will be stocking up big time on herbs and spices from WinCo. I have a hundred mylar bags just for that reason. Also from WinCo, if they have it, will be 200 pounds more wheat, once that is done, I am done with food... for now.

Other than that, I can think of nothing.

I guess Cabela's, Scheels and other sporting goods stores will get most of my attention. :D:cool:

If you can think of something I should consider, please list them. Both the Wife and I cannot find any holes in our current stocks.

·
Forum Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chocolate. You can never have too much chocolate 🤣
I have cocoa powder, both Dutched and not, pounds of the stuff. We also have 10 pounds of baking chips, bars and snack chocolate.
But, more chocolate is always a good thing.

·
Forum Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly if I was in that position, I would look at what gets used quickest and maybe build an extra 3 months worth of that just as an inflation hedge right now.
I am slowly running out of space. I have 1.5-2 years worth of goods for 4-6 people. And being stocked saves us a fortune. You are right, inflation is very real, To be able to not buy anything until a sale hits is comforting. Even if the sale price is higher than normal price 2-3 years ago. It is still a win. :)

I seriously cannot think of anything... The rotation is set, if I buy another 3 months of convenience, I risk wasting some things.
TBH more LTS stuff is on the list but, it will be bought online.

·
Grevcon 8
17,133 Posts
So, I went into my extended pantry in order to make a list for a trip to the city next weekend. I am bringing my Son back to the University. I get there 3-4 times a year. Costco, WinCo, Asian and World food markets. This a big deal because we live 240 miles away from such luxury. I always spend at least 500 bucks per trip and usually much more, on foods to stock up on.
For a couple of decades, it seems we were always playing catch up, with large holes that needed to be filled. Not this time. It has become clear that my need to do a large shopping trip to Costco et el, is no longer needed. They offer nothing that will add anything more to my pantry that would work within a reasonable rotation schedule. I have no more than 5 items on my shopping list. Olive oil, fresh garlic, dishwasher pods, garbage bags and Basmati rice.

Now, I will be stocking up big time on herbs and spices from WinCo. I have a hundred mylar bags just for that reason. Also from WinCo, if they have it, will be 200 pounds more wheat, once that is done, I am done... for now.

Other than that, I can think of nothing.

I guess Cabela's, Scheels and other sporting goods stores will get most of my attention. :D:cool:

If you can think of something I should consider, please list them. Both the Wife and I cannot find any holes in our current stocks.
I know the feeling. For a while now I've felt like I've pretty much got it all squared away. The new house has given me something new to work on though. Most it's about getting all those preps up here and ready to use. I'm also eventually going to start looking at empty space again and thinking about how to fill it. We were literally stacked to the ceiling in our city home.

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Right now I'm pretty much just buying deep sale items that we regularly use, and items made with foreign ingredients that may become unavailable - coconut oil, olive oil, vanilla extract and/or beans, cinnamon sticks, coffee, cocoa, imported alcohol products, etc.

·
Forum Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now I'm pretty much just buying deep sale items that we regularly use, and items made with foreign ingredients that may become unavailable - coconut oil, olive oil, vanilla extract and/or beans, cinnamon sticks, imported alcohol products, etc.
Ha! perfect! I am making my own vanilla once the beans get here but, you reminded me to pick up another bottle of pure vanilla. I have enough for the rest of the year and well into next but.... Thanks. I knew it was good to ask people here for ideas.

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
14,931 Posts
Ha! perfect! I am making my own vanilla once the beans get here but, you reminded me to pick up another bottle of pure vanilla. I have enough for the rest of the year and well into next but.... Thanks. I knew it was good to ask people here for ideas.
Not exactly a restocking item but the last time I was at Rural King I noticed and old fashioned Icecream maker that I'm thinking of getting. Think in terms like that because when it gets really rough, comfort foods may be what keeps the edge off.

·
Forum Administrator
7,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not exactly a restocking item but the last time I was at Rural King I noticed and old fashioned Icecream maker that I'm thinking of getting. Think in terms like that because when it gets really rough, comfort foods may be what keeps the edge off.
Good idea. I'll see what I can find. If the price is right...
I am a lover of ice cream...to a fault.

*We got a "free" countertop ice maker for joining Sam's club. It has been a Godsend. My wife loves it. Considering the freezers are full of food.

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
I'm slowly backing off of buying LT and concentrating on canning the garden up again. Heat has backed off and rains have blessed us.

·
Registered
EDC, GHB, and loads of chocolate!
618 Posts