Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiking on a little used trail earlier this week, I come across a small lean to shelter with an old fire and bottles/ tins/ foil around it, which I dismissed as just a simple shelter made by some local teens to have a drink un disturbed. However, continuing along the progressivley poorly maintained and rarely used trail (there was deer tracks along it, musnt have been used in a while) I come across a fence which there was a human sized hole pushed out of the chain link (I tried it thinking it was a fox or whatever, could barely lift the fence with two hands!). Then, about 50 metres later, there was a fresh chicken leg (no feeders or anything on it!!). Then a logging road/ firebreak and onto a fairly steep slope where after another 50- 100 meters, there was a pretty well established shelter made out of wood and fir branches, I saw one male, fair build and white, tending to a fire (I was under the presumtion there was more as it was a fairly large camp) I was around 25 metres away and wearing a brown/OD tee and black trousers. Was not seen! . I had a small worry but thought less of it as I moved on, only to find a stream with a washing pad/ scouring pad and then I proceeded to turn round, as I only had my trekking pole and Victorniox Huntsman as any kind of defence. (UK strict gun laws and all). If you havent fell asleep yet (lol) just wondering who these guys could be and what course of action would you have taken?? Thanks :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's a tough situation to be in. I would have done just as you did. Stay concealed and only make contact if absolutely neccessary. These you just have no idea what people are up to. Were they cooking meth? Growing pot? Running from the law? Or were they just enjoying being in nature and away from civilization for awhile? Either way they didn't want to be disturbed.

That's how I feel about running into people far out in the wilderness. They are out there for a reason, and it isn't to talk or hang out with you. Whether they are good or bad people doesn't matter (to me).

·
Swampy McSwamp
136 Posts
My initial thought is some people that are down on their luck and just said screw it.. lets go out there, we can live for free and get food, and its rarely traveled. Or its drug related.. I run into odd stuff with people some times, but I just walk on by and nod hello.

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the replies. all makes sense, i would have had a look closer if i was with a buddy but thats just asking to be in some sorta trouble lol

also i wouldnt be too pleased if i found someone snooping on my camp ground :p

·
V
21,713 Posts
United Kingdom
lol I gathered that............ South Devon/Cornwall/Somerset you have pot growers, I know I stumbled across a couple about 18yrs ago and heard of others :upsidedown:

The further north we go the colder the over all climate the more likely they are going to be Bushcrafters or Survivalists. Most tramps stick to the cities because of all the freebies to be had, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility, there was a news artical Yeeeeeaaarrrsssssss ago of military type training going on in Cannock Chase (one of my favourite areas) it was suspected they were mercenaries.

If I'd had a dog with me (can't face getting another atm since mine passed away) I'd probably have just kept moving, would have ignored noise discipline to let them know I was in the area, my dog would have given me away anyway daft bugger. Without a dog I'd have marked the spot to memory and either have watched a while or gone back to be nosey skirting around the area to see if they were being discrete or open about their presence.

·
Jedi Prepper
661 Posts
its so weird. I would have been scared for sure, even though they may have been nice people who is making a long stay in the woods. I ran across a weird camp Saturday on a hike I did. I was looking for camp sites that have been established for years just off the trail. I found a little trail that jumped off the main trail so I followed it to this camp site. This camp site had skinned trees as benches and a nice rock fire pit. The floor was covered in pine needles like carpet. Everything was groomed and clean and really nice. I thought about staying there but it just gave me a weird feeling. In the middle of camp there was a fresh stick that somebody stuck in the ground. On the back site of this camp that was id say 15x15' across and wide a small trail went some were and it just creep-ed me and my gf out so we moved on and went to look for another. IDk what it was and why it was so nice and logs were hand cut but i was not sticking around to find out. Made me think it was a trap lol... crazy, also it was a couple miles from anything around. If your unsure keep moving!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts