Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Swirl Herder
3,613 Posts
Update, I went with a 44 Mag. It's a newer Marlin but the price was decent. Now to find some ammo for it. I have a small amount of 180 grain, but want to start with 240. Could reload in the future I have everything I need, but powder and haven't reloaded for some time.
Good choice.

If you can find them, the Hornady Lever Revolution ammo shoots and kills well out of my Marlin. It is more accurate than most factory 44 Mag ammo I have tried.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/handgun/44-mag-225-gr-ftx-leverevolution#!/

·
Bear Fighter
1,493 Posts
Good choice.

If you can find them, the Hornady Lever Revolution ammo shoots and kills well out of my Marlin. It is more accurate than most factory 44 Mag ammo I have tried.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/handgun/44-mag-225-gr-ftx-leverevolution#!/
the only "problem" with LeveRevolution ammo is that Hornady uses a proprietary case that is slightly shorter than a normal case for that caliber, making up for the ogive of the bullet. Consequently, you can really only reload the LeveRevolution (FTX) bullets in those cases.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,587 Posts
Update, I went with a 44 Mag. It's a newer Marlin but the price was decent. Now to find some ammo for it. I have a small amount of 180 grain, but want to start with 240. Could reload in the future I have everything I need, but powder and haven't reloaded for some time.
Newer Marlin rifles have faster twist barrels and can stabilize heavier bullets. Mine is an older rifle, but I rebarreled it, and loaded bullets up to the Sierra 300g.

I even modified the action and throated the chamber to accept a longer 1.750" oal cartridge.

The result is a very compact, very robust thumper rifle.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
.454 casall
Effective for bear , both using hand gun or rifle.
Rossi Puma
I practice with .45 long colt and hunt with the .454.
I am accustomed to hunting mountain and brush country , no scope is required, however fast action is requied.

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,750 Posts
I regularly shoot two:

.30 cal carbine
45/70

I really can't say which one I prefer other than to say its probably
whatever one I'm shooting at the moment.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Creek fire is very near. Evac orders have been given but not for our place. I started packing. first rifle to be paced, ruger 357 mag and Ruger 357 pistol. Loaded a couple of shotguns and a 22lr. Had some extra room so I packed a 357 lever and a ruger 7mm-08. That takes things our of the fantasy realm and into the real world, I felt bad not packing a mauser 45-70 or 30-06 but there are priorities. I did pack an enfield 17 which was my first deer rifle. More sentimental than practical. I spent years sporterizing it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The only straight-walled case rifle that I own (other than a 22) is a .32 Mag. Which I do like shooting but is rather worthless from a practical perspective.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Maryland is close to going to allowing straight walled cartridges for use where it was only muzzle loader or shotgun for deer hunting. I'm trying to decide which one to go with, so would appreciate any input good or bad on what you would choose or not. Some choices are going to fit the AR platform, but this will be a strictly deer hunting arm and I want to keep it bolt or lever actions please.

There are other choices, but narrowed down, which would you choose or one you would stay away from? (no particular order) Hunting area would be dense woodlands and mountains, remember this is replacing rifled shotgun and ML. Likely never over 150 yds. Thanks.

350 Legend
444 Marlin
450 Bushmaster
44 Magnum
45/70
For Range...the 350 legend seems like the hot ticket. Not sure how plentiful guns are for it but the ammo seems to be pretty common here for reasons I cant explain (in Texas).

For power...the 45/70 is pretty brutal down range and some what rude on the shoulder if you can handle it.

Got a Handgun too...the 44 Mag will work out to about 100 yards on deer sized game and smaller and give you the flexibility of a Handgun or Rifle use.

·
Amateur of all trades
542 Posts
460 S&W Mag. Have the XVR 8-3/8 and a T/C Encore carbine.
Can use 454 Casul and .45 Colt. Very versatile

·
Registered
167 Posts
460 S&W Mag. Have the XVR 8-3/8 and a T/C Encore carbine.
Can use 454 Casul and .45 Colt. Very versatile
The 460 mag looks almost the same as the 45-60 Winchester that came out about 1876. It is just loaded hot with modern powder.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe the 450 Bushmaster uses standard 45 Colt projectiles which really opens it up for reloading.

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
452 Posts
I guess. I will be the odd ball and go with .41 mag. Does everything the .44 mag does with less recoil.
Guessing that makes two of us. I just earlier today, loaded some .41 magnum cases with H4227 . Flatpoint 210 gr. Mid power loads. ( for the middle magnum)
I have 2 guns in that great caliber.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I went with the .350 Legend, Ruger MPR w/ trijicon 1-4, choice of 5rd, 10rd or 20rd mags. Light recoil, fairly light rifle, cheap-ish blasting ammo, easily available, reasonably priced great hunting ammo even now. Not too much for coyote, dialed right in for deer & black bear, could handle larger within reason. Also looks like it’ll be pretty decent to reload for. Recovering from a triple bypass so doesn’t look like I’ll be able to break it in this season, but really looking forward to spending time with this rifle/cartridge. I’m considering getting a Ruger American in this chambering too.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
The 35 Rem is a time tested short range deer cartridge. I understand the legend is the modern equivalent.

Iv'e used the 44 mag an am not impressed, in fact I vowed not to use it again.

The 45-70 is gold, and doesn't really mangle meat like hi-vel cartridges, but is probably more than you need. If you reload it will cost you more in lead and powder in TEOTWAWKI. And as you get older recoil isn't as much fun as it once was.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My favorite would be .327 probably for same reason 32-20 was popular for so many years its just a dang handy round around the farm,it keeps plenty of squirrels in the frying pan,keeps coyotes and wild dogs away from calves and chickens, is economical with powder and lead, I generally carry first 3 rounds in cylinder full loads rest light small game loads,if we had bears or wolves I'd want something bigger but we dont around here so its a fine round for my uses.

·
MortarMaggot
3,284 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe the 450 Bushmaster uses standard 45 Colt projectiles which really opens it up for reloading.
450BM, 45 Colt, 45ACP, 45GAP, 454 Casull, 45 Raptor, 460 S&W mag & a few other odd balls all use .451-.452 dia. bullets. 45-60, 45-70, 450 Marlin, 458 Win Mag, 458 Socom & a few other oddball calibers use .458 dia. bullets. There's certainly a lot of guns that utilize both calibers but I think the ones that shoot the .451-.452 dia. bullets are probably a lot more common/popular.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts