Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,596 Posts
I'm not much of an AR fan so can't help you there. But like a few others I would recommend the 44 mag. I have killed one deer with mine and seen several others killed with a 44 mag by my bud. With soft point 240gr bullets it destroys a deers insides. Just about like a bottle neck rifle round. It is impressively effective round. More than you would think for a pistol caliber rifle.

Hick I like what you did and would like to do the same to my 44 mag Marlin. Did you do the work yourself or did you have someone do it for you? If someone did it for you please list who it was. I may have that done to mine.
I was studying gunsmithing at LCC Susanville.
The Marlin was my project for "Cowboy Longuns". I purchased the replacement barrel from Numric. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/453840

I Altered the feed ramp my self in about 10 min using a dremel. I also own a 44 mag throating reamer.
This allows me to load to the max oal that will fit in my Redhawk, and run them in all my guns.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would recommend the 444 Marlin (essentially a double length .44 Mag), but only if you're a handloader. There are only two manufacturers of factory ammo now -- Remington Cor-Lokt and Hornady LeveRevolution (which is a shorter proprietary case for the FTX bullets) -- so you're pretty limited with factory choices.

I've seen more .45/70 choices than 444 Marlin!

I think if you're going to keep it under 200 yards, a .44 Mag lever action would be suitable. If you want an AR platform, that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.
I have wanted a 444 for several years especially since they changed the twist to a 1/20 a few years ago. The 444 matches what used to be known as a Lion Load. A light for caliber Express round mainly a 300gr bullet going around 2,000fps. I have always wanted a 444 Marlin in that caliber after reading that. I like to read African hunting stories. Finn Aagaard was my favorite and I have a few of his books.

Hick thanks for the feedback on the rebarrel of the 44 mag Marlin. You want to do another one?:D::D::D:

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,273 Posts
45/70
If you reload you can go from 200gr up to 500+ and everything in between. You can make loads that barely punch paper and you can walk confident against every critter on this planet.

I had a cop bud who for his "big bore rifle took his Marlin 45/70 to Africa and an assortment of home loads and Garrett hammerheads.
He actually put a Hammerhead through the full length of a buffalo. Said his PH just stared at his little lever gun.

Took his hippo at about 15 feet.

Even used it to take a few plains game out to 200yds.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Stepped up from 44 mag to 45/70 and purchased a Henry single shot steel version, non brass.
The wood alone is by shotgun standards easily a class IV. 350 to just under 500 grain bullets seem to stay dead flat for 160 + yards and hit like a freight train. One can do much longer shots, but until I get the Vortex scope, I just can’t see any farther.

Never know when a Buffalo will appear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have .450 Bushmaster dies, but haven't loaded any new rounds yet as I'm still hunting up good recipes for the powders I already have on hand. I happened across a Youtube video (WHO_TEE_WHO, if you want to check it out) the other day testing out some Ballistic-tipped 240 Grain factory ammunition from Bear Creek Ballistics that is advertised at 2592 FPS out of a 16" Ruger American bolt gun with around 3400 foot pounds at the muzzle. That's pretty damn impressive for a .45 caliber projectile and, if that's even close to accurate, it puts any of the rimmed cartridges (which are less suitable to a semi auto platform, which I prefer) out there (and their fanboys) in their place, somewhere around the year 1894. They have a spire point 240 grain that will cycle in an AR platform, like mine, that isn't loaded quite as hot, because of the longer OAL required for the increased powder charge to get the higher velocity. Still though, this shows that most of the early factory ammunition for the .450 was overly conservative and much higher velocities, and the flatter trajectories to be had therein are definitely possible.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I have an original trap door in 45-70 and a Remington Rolling Block with a new barrel chambered for 45-70. For a rifle this cal. is the way to go.

·
Banned
679 Posts
Depends what you want to shoot.

My personal preference is .444 Marlin, but that’s mostly a subjective choice on my part.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I have a bolt action 357 and 45-70. I carry the 357 a lot during deer season. I loaded some lead free projectiles for the 45-70 but have not carried it. maybe this year?

·
Retired and luvin it!
927 Posts
My first recommendation would be the 45-70 since there is a decent variety of factory ammo then followed by the 350 legend. I actually saw 350 on the shelves vs zero for the 45-70 this past weekend. Since I reload and cast the 350 looks attractive but since I have no other .35s its overlap for us. Then is the issue of magazines which from what I've read are modified unlike my 300BO. Another nice thing about the 350 is the price point is lower than many other newer rounds (one of the maker's 'bragging' points).

If we had any 44 handguns in the family that might another option as it gives us more firearms in the same caliber. If we had a few other 35 cal rifles in the family I'd consider it over the .450BM mainly for use as a deer/hog/black bear round.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Maryland is close to going to allowing straight walled cartridges for use where it was only muzzle loader or shotgun for deer hunting. I'm trying to decide which one to go with, so would appreciate any input good or bad on what you would choose or not. Some choices are going to fit the AR platform, but this will be a strictly deer hunting arm and I want to keep it bolt or lever actions please.

There are other choices, but narrowed down, which would you choose or one you would stay away from? (no particular order) Hunting area would be dense woodlands and mountains, remember this is replacing rifled shotgun and ML. Likely never over 150 yds. Thanks.

350 Legend
444 Marlin
450 Bushmaster
44 Magnum
45/70
I used own a ruger single shot in 45-70. I loaded for it as well. A very versatile cartridge. The 44 maggie may not belong in that grouping. The 444 "used" to have a very limited number of bullets made for it. No such issue with the 45-70.

I've never had any personal experience with those other cartridges.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I was doing some muzzle energy calculations. I found that the highest published energy for the 50 Beowulf was about 2300 ft/lbs. The highest for the 450 bushmaster was over 2600 ftlbs. That really surprised me after hearing for so long that the 50 Beowulf was designed to break engine blocks. But the 450 bushmaster had more energy and was more accurate and a flatter shooter that was viable for hunting out to 250 yards.

·
I'M READY!!
4,140 Posts
45-70 from a lever gun is a great choice. One of my favorites to use in the thick Northern Ontario forests. It'll drop just about anything within 100yards.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Most states with a straight walled cartridge limitation also have a max case length (not OAL) limitation of 1.8 inches. 45-70 is too long at 2.105 inches. Don’t know what limitations MD may be putting on their potential rule change though.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
357 magnum in a marlin 94 works pretty well but then there is 30 carbine also Worked in 3 wars so good bet we havent evolved to point where it wont get job done.

·
Registered
288 Posts
45/70! I love this round. I shoot it from a Ruger #1 and have reloaded it for 20 years. It is popular enough to always be able to buy ammo.

·
Plays best, alone
4,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Update, I went with a 44 Mag. It's a newer Marlin but the price was decent. Now to find some ammo for it. I have a small amount of 180 grain, but want to start with 240. Could reload in the future I have everything I need, but powder and haven't reloaded for some time.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts