Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was too hot to get anything done, so I kicked back on the deck/patio, sorting out cookware, stoves and fuel. For some cheap fun and to wash old gunk off I boiled a pint of H2O in an aluminium pot using gas and a Primus stove, in a spanking new steel pot using white gas and a multifuel cooker, and in a titanium mug using a silly Ikea drainer alcohol stove.
Automotive tire Drum Road surface Bicycle tire Membranophone

Gas: 3 minutes. Easiest, cleanest, quickest. Too noisy.
Multifuel: 5 minutes. Hassle with pressurised fuel bottle, noise and flames, some leakage, forgot to tighten a part after last use.
Alcohol: 10 minutes. Not a whisper but slow as f. The only good thing is you can use the drainer as a wood burning lantern. It also acts as its own wind cover, cost nothing, and packs nicely with the pot, cup, burner, matches, everything in one package.
Kitchen appliance Cookware and bakeware Fluid Home appliance Gas

The legs are old tent pegs. Good for uneven surface. Or, as a rack when using the smaller cup.
Basket Bag Art Woolen Creative arts

I used to rock this until got fed up with waiting and got the Primus.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! I was a Trangia faithful from the early 80s on. Bomb proof, reliable, heavy, sluggish, cheap fuel. And of course, cooking with a mess kit on open fire was the way to go, weather and landowner permitting. I didn't even see a gasoline stove until visiting America (also the first time I ever used or needed a water filter - we don't really have parasites in our freezing waters, or so we thought, drinking straight from lakes and murky ponds, never had any tummy trouble). It was an MSR model, I think. A loud and sooty affair but very efficient. Naturally, I got myself one, and also a gas stove, to diversify in case times get hard and fuel becomes sparse.

A multifuel stove is my choice for the road to hell, because it will burn almost anything, except alcohol, and that can be burned in almost anything. Gas canisters come in at least three different noncompatible formats. When I was "doing" the French Alps, I had to buy a different stove that fit the available canisters. Haven't needed it since.

When the "pandemic", or rather all the silliness around it started, I found myself working and living in a foreign country and lacking a solid exit plan. Meaning, I wasn't equipped for a forced march back home. I felt what was coming and about two weeks before the panic buying frenzy started, I began tooling up for a mad dash through Europe. Preparing to sleep in my car and to take the longer overland route, I stocked up on food and water, filled the jerrycans and bought another multifuel stove in case I got held up on a border - I had four countries to cross and governments were busy making a mess of everyone's life. But I managed to catch one of the last flights out and avoided the lockdown and waited it out at home (we didn't have a lockdown, just some minor inconvenience). Flew back two months later to get my things. Never needed the backup gear, but there's no harm in having an unused stove just in case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts