Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this will be a storm shelter/reloading room/food storage/man cave type of building.

The form is made ready for the pour of the floor.

Concrete is poured and finished.

The blocks have been delivered and I have drilled and set the rebar stakes to anchor the walls.

The masons arive and do their work.

The block work is done.

My "baby boy" stands in the doorway. There is a thimble for a wood heater to the left in the photo and an opening for an air conditioner to the right. these are the only penetrations save for the roof vents that are 3" PVC pipe.

The concrete roof is formed.

I made this rebar bender and it worked as designed,

The rebar is set and tied.

Waiting for the concrete man to pour next week. hope you enjoyed this post.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The floor has two runs of rebar in the footing and has wire added to the mix. It adds about $15 per yard to the cost for the wire to be added but it is very strong. The walls are 12" block and will be a monolithic pour with the roof. There is about 800' feet of rebar in the roof and walls and it will be 6" thick on the front with 5" thick at the back for run off.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats how I would have done it -- but tornado's are a little scarce out here :xeye:

Tack the rebar or wire twist good enough ?

Whats the going price for transit - per yard delivered out by you ?
Transit? Not sure what this means as it might be a regional term but concrete is about $115 per yard for 3500 test and pump grade concrete is $120 per yard.

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
Rice did you get my IM ?
Yes and answered -- system is a little slow :(

Transit? Not sure what this means as it might be a regional term but concrete is about $115 per yard for 3500 test and pump grade concrete is $120 per yard.
Yep -- "Transit Mix" -- about the same out here ;)

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What are the dimensions?

Looks like about 12'x16' outside, making it about 10'x14' inside and 8' head room?

Looks great!

Just curious.
The outside dimensions are 17' and a few inches on the long side and the short side is 13' and some inches. I formed it to fit block work dimensions. The inside is 2' smaller. There will be 2' wide shelves on two walls leaving a place behind the door and on that wall for my reloading table and a freezer. About 19' of shelving with at least 5 shelves tall. buckets on the floor and top, with about 600 mason jars on other shelves as well as dozens of totes full of "our kind" of stuff.

probably will have to add another shelf in the middle but I want 80%+ of my preps in this room.

I am going to build a vault door with at least 8 bolts (made of 3/4" drill rod) to set as the outside door.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
I have toyed with something very similar for a few years now. Very well done and the monolithic roof pour is exactly what I was thinking. :thumb:

Do you have a ballpark of the costs?

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
It looks nice, but it kind of screams "target". You maybe should have half or completely buried it or built it into a hillside. Don't get me wrong, I'm jealous. But a pillbox sitting in the open like that draws some attention.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
Dressing the outside would not be hard. It could be made to look like a dilapidated old shed.

Those that witnessed the construction know different, but as time goes on...

I don't see any evidence of close neighbors in the photos.

·
Soulless Ginger
391 Posts
Looks like you built a very nice Shelter! JMO make a small foyer into the room and then set the vault door up. On the outside have a normal looking Steel door. IMO this would make it look more like a Garage/work shop and perhaps prevent snooping. Also maybe a sign that says "Dad's Wood shop" over the door. I am a big believer of hiding things in plain site!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts