Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bad storm that knocked down all my corn, it ranged in size from about 5 feet to 1 foot, I picked them up and put soil around the bottoms of the stalks to hold them up. some snapped off, but the others look okay.
Do you think they can be saved? Is there something else I should have done?
Thanks

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had a very warm spring and I got to plant early, that and a nice amount of rain and it's been growing like crazy, around here they have a saying "knee high buy the 4th of July" is were your corn should be.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jax, I've had corn blown over a few times, but never like this, flat on the ground. I did lose some to snapping, but today is a nice sunny day with little wind and they
are perking up some.

·
Just the facts, Ma'am.
2,070 Posts
Crops will 'lodge' after storms.

Here's a thread from last year ... similar situation
(I like being told I'm right):
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=114189

Here's an illustration:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=123328
I should have asked the question a few weeks ago. I ended up putting stakes at the en d of my 12' rows and holding the stalks up with cotton string. It works fine, but if nature provides the solution, who am I to step in? Thanks for the lesson, ex-hunter! Next year, I let sleeping dogs lie. Well... at least I'll let the fallen over corn lie.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good to hear NJ! That's funny about the "knee high" thing. I mentioned that to my neighbor who farms acres of dent corn. He said that was true about 20 years ago, but now it grows much faster. He also added that you never used to see 180 bushels an acre back then either. Hope you have a great year with the sweet corn. There's nothing better!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Hunter, next time I won't mess with them, I would love to see them stand up on their own, that would be amazing.

·
The Cynical Girl
11,165 Posts
Happened to me last year only they weren't just knocked down, the wind twisted them. You could actually see the swirl. Some came back up and produced, others did nothing. The ones that did produce had a lot smaller ears though. I hope you have better luck.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
We just started eating our storm damaged true gold corn today. It got knocked down about 5 weeks ago just before pollination and it stood back up. Then in the middle of pollination it got knocked down again, then last week it got knocked down once more. Most of the ears are partially pollinated, some are fully pollinated. It tastes great but I only got about 2/3 the harvest that I was expecting.

Somehow I got 3 ears per stalk on most of the plants, that was unexpected, the write ups say this variety is only supposed to bear 1-2 ears per plant. I'm saving this seed.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
As long as the stalks aren't broken, it should stand on its' own in a few days. Happens all the time here in the midwest. :thumb:
Indeed it does. Spring storms can be wicked here sometimes and I have this problem frequently. Usually perks back up in a few days. As long as it's standing up straight during the pollenation phase of growing it should do fine.

I usually dig small furrows maybe 1-2" deep and plant the corn in these. Once the stalks are 8" tall or so, l push the dirt in around the furrows, it helps them build a great root system for better wind resistance.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I saw that you could build up some around the stalks and was thinking of starting to, but wasn't sure when it was okay. Thanks Mortimer

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't fertilize, I mix in a lot of chopped up leaves and compost in the fall, then just plant and mulch with grass clippings in the spring, seems to work.
Is there something you would recommend? it would have to be natural, I'll do half of my plants and see what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm certainly not a fertilizer expert so hopwefully someone will chime in that has more knowledge. I use a 13-13-13 and put some alongside the stalks. I do know that corn leeches lots of nitrogen from the soil for growth. I'm way outta my league to suggest something to use that is all natural. The compost you have would probably work fine, just water it down after you place it. The clippings probably won't help as they aren't broken down fast enough to help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts