Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to store water?? Would it be freezing it??? Or could I just go buy a bunch of cases of bottled water and throw them in my attic and be done with it. Doesn't bottled water have a expiration date??

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Water does have an expiration date. Best to keep it cool and dark to extend it. I would keep a bottle of chlorine handy as well. At the very least you could boil and treat what you have.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Water doesn't really "go bad" in the traditional sense, as long as no bacteria is growing in it,or anything leeches into it from whatever container it's in.
Supposedly water will take on an unpleasant plastic-like flavor from long periods in the bottles and jugs it's commonly sold in.
These gallon jugs are also notorious for breaking down and leaking water all over your other preps and house. It's not a bad idea to have a few cases of bottled water on hand, but for serious,higher volume,longer term storage, there are better options.
The attic is not the best place to store water, either. You want a cool, dark place, just like you would for any other prep.
Your best bet for containers is to look at the blue Aqua-tainers at Wal-mart, or try and find some food-grade 55 gallon plastic barrels. Soda bottlers are common sources for these.
Most municipal water supplies are lightly chlorinated and store very well, but many folks recommend adding a little bleach periodically.
Most folks also seem to recommend rotating your water supply at least every year,I personally dump my containers and re-fill them evry 6-12 months, whenever I get around to it, but I have yet to notice anything growing inside.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,585 Posts
Freezing it is a big waste of energy, plus you can only store limited amounts. I think most people don't store nearly enough. A couple cases of bottles is nothing. Figure a gallon per person per day just for drinking and food prep. That doesn't include water needed for hygeine and cleanliness. Skip out on the hygiene for a while and you'll find yourself with a string of various illnesses that can range from nuisance to fatal.

I'd look for barrels or tanks. You can usually find good deals on used irrigation tanks. Also, look around locally for sources of those liquid transport cubes. You know, the ones with the big plastic tank in the metal cage that they ship liquids in. I bought some at the local irrigation dealer, used, for $20 each. They hold several hundred gallons.

You can preserve water a long time with plain ol' Chlorox bleach.

·
Registered
33,407 Posts
Ok but what if I get some empty gallon jugs and fill them 3/4 the way up and freeze them??
but why would you want to freeze it...that takes energy and it's just
not that practical IMO

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Get some water containers in different sizes. You will need about 5 liters of water per person and day for the first week, 20 liters of water per person and day after the first week.

If you add water purification tablets and store your water cold and dark it will last for six months.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know a lot of folks like the larger barrels but for me the smaller sizes (5 or 7 gallons) work best. The smaller sizes are much easier for me to rotate and since I have a small creek across the street and a river about 1/2 mile down the road, I can use these smaller containers to get water from those sources if needed. When it's time to rotate, I just use the water on the outdoor plants or general cleaning and then refill the container.

Also, you should store your water in a closet or basement...somewhere dark and cool.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just thinking of freezing them because I have a huge chest freezer that is fairly empty and I could fit 10 or 12 gallons in there until I needed them. Would freezing them keep them safe to drink at a later date??? Like a year or 2.

I understand that when SHTF I probably wont have power but if i stored them now would they be ok to thaw out and drink?

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts

'nuf said.

Reactions: Lookout

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ark, very good advice. I do alot of "jugging" for catfish and frozen sodawater bottler are a hell of alot cheaper than buying ice. As the goodie level drops in the freezer, I add more bottles. Try to keep them on the bottom so as not to cover the good stuff. Pain in the a$$ to dig down past them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts