Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a few water drums. Where can i get quality ones for a resonable price? How long can I store water? Any alternatives to bleach? How much and exactly what type of bleach can I add? How much many gallons of water does each person need a day?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,128 Posts
There are lots of threads on that already. Give a quick look around and you'll find tons of great info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glass bottles or jars are the best to store drinking water. I don't add any chemicals to my water. I am running an experiment: I filled up a bunch of clear glass bottles a year ago and I use one bottle every month. The water still tastes great. It would be best if you store it in dark colder place. For my experiment I have it exposed to light and heat.
Amount of water needed is different for everyone so you should measure for yourself. Than try a few days shutting your a/c off and see how much water you drink that way.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Glass bottles or jars are the best to store drinking water. I don't add any chemicals to my water. I am running an experiment: I filled up a bunch of clear glass bottles a year ago and I use one bottle every month. The water still tastes great. It would be best if you store it in dark colder place. For my experiment I have it exposed to light and heat.
Amount of water needed is different for everyone so you should measure for yourself. Than try a few days shutting your a/c off and see how much water you drink that way.
I hope this helps.
Why not send some out for something more technical then just a taste test?

·
67,128 Posts
I dont know Mike? The search feature is jacked up imo. lol
Yeah, the search feature does bite, doesn't it? But the water threads are never more than a page or two in. A quick browse finds a lot of stuff that the search doesn't. I'd like to see more water info stickied, myself.

·
67,128 Posts
I hope this helps.
You need water for more than just drinking and food prep. That's ok in the short term. But if it goes very long, you'll need it for hygiene, laundry, dishes, and even for cleaning around the house. It's impossible to have too much.

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
My 3 sources for cheap plastic barrels.

First is craigslist. Just make sure you buy barrels used for food storage. Very common in areas with vineyards or agriculture.

My local home brewer shop gets all his malt delivered in plastic drums. When he sells out of the malt he puts the drum outside for the taking. I live near by so it's easy for me to check.

Building recyclers. These are junkyard like places that specialize in recycling building materials like used windows and sinks, scrap lumber etc. frequently they have barrels so it might be worth a call.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts