Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched around and cannot see a thread explaining the best way to keep water in your car/truck. Granted, this is not an ideal place to store water given heat, humidity, sunlight, but given how often I'm in my truck, I wouldn't feel prepared unless I had some water in it.

How do you folks keep it?
Plastic bottles, hidden from light, changed out regularly? (~3mo?)
Glass containers that could better handle heat?
A few fancy pre-packaged containers for car, with bulk DIY containers at home?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have tried small plastic bottles and large one gallon bottles. Neither worked well. One of the main reasons was the temperatures of where I live and work. IN the summer is is over 100 deg daily, and it get below freezing most of the time. Also they were stores in the trunk of my car, and they got beat up a lot, leading them to leak. I have changed over to Specter 5 gal water cans. In the winter I keep them wrapped up in a blanked, which stopped them from freezing.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I have searched around and cannot see a thread explaining the best way to keep water in your car/truck. Granted, this is not an ideal place to store water given heat, humidity, sunlight, but given how often I'm in my truck, I wouldn't feel prepared unless I had some water in it.

How do you folks keep it?
Plastic bottles, hidden from light, changed out regularly? (~3mo?)
Glass containers that could better handle heat?
A few fancy pre-packaged containers for car, with bulk DIY containers at home?
I keep a gallon or so of water purchased sealed in the gallon jug. I've kept it in there for months at a time and haven't had a problem. I'd rotate it out regularly though. (I buy the gallons anyway beacuse I haven't gotten around to getting a purifier and suburban tap water sucks) :upsidedown:

(In the winter I keep them in the coat closet and toss one in if I'm going any distance. I'm afraid the jug would crack and leak if I just left em in there.) I use a bungee or a net to keep the jugs in place- works just peachy :)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I haven;t had problems with water storage in my cars. I keep a dozen screw on cap bottles of Aqua Fina in my well in the back of my Rav4. I also have a Katadyne Water filter in each vehicle. You need a kit in each vehicle. Dont just rely on bottles of water. Keep a bottle of water purifier tabs and some bottles of water. As you get more into it get filter as well. With each filter keep a pack of coffee filters to prefilter the water you are going to filter. It will extend your filters life a long way. Coffee filters are cheap and you should have them on hand now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
We keep a large camelback (the largest one they make) backpack in each vehicle for each family member. Aside from the bladder being full, each also includes coffee filters & water purif tabs - like Grinnan - along with a bunch of other items (space blanket, multitool, matches, critical first aid items, etc). Water is drained & flushed every month or two. I generally add a tiny bit of bleach to each... about 1/4 of what you'd use to purify questionable water. Not sure if this does anything, but it doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not the hot water that's bad, it's the chemical reaction that occurs when certain plastics are heated that could contaminate the water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lifestraw

Just buy a lifestraw for $20. I think they last 3 years. Keep one in your 2 day bag or get home bag. And keep a small water bottle in the cab because, hey, sometimes you just get thirsty.

·
who me?...nope ��
192 Posts
I store the datrex water and bars in the truck..
inside a small cooler,with no issues what so ever.
Heat or freezing cold,doesn't seem to affect them.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
I use six pack coolers for water bottles, no ice.

Use ice and coolers for pop cans.

Ordering water pouches can equal too high shipping cost.
Try to catch at gun shows.
And 4oz is too little for thirsty folk.

·
who me?...nope ��
192 Posts
I use six pack coolers for water bottles, no ice.

Use ice and coolers for pop cans.

Ordering water pouches can equal too high shipping cost.
Try to catch at gun shows.
And 4oz is too little for thirsty folk.
One 4oz wont help anyone,I agree with that.
A case can be purchased for under $35 or so.
We are only talking about the vehicle, not for
normal supply.Only an idiot would rely on the
little pouches for long term use or storage imo

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
I keep colloidal silver in my saddle bags on the bike and it never seems to age and it's in plastic bottles.
It's for emergencies ,I can drink it like water( being made with distilled water) if I have to, but on occasion have used it in an emergency for road rash injuries ,and it has worked even several years old.
Just for fun take a real silver plated utensil and leave it in your water ,and see how well the water lasts. Pioneers put their silver in milk and drinking water , suppose that had any value?

·
Always Loaded
2,316 Posts
I keep several 16 oz. water bottles. I've utilized a big picnic basket for my car to store both emergency food and water. One very important thing to remember, NEVER STORE a large water container in your vehicle. God forbid you are involved in a car accident, even a 1 gallon jug turns into a 5 lb missile easily capable of breaking a neck. Whatever you choose, just imagine it slamming into the back of your head going 80 MPH before choosing it.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
We are only talking about the vehicle, not for
normal supply.Only an idiot would rely on the
little pouches for long term use or storage imo
Well duh.

Actually, water pouches have a 5 year shelf life compared to 1-2 year for water bottles.
I have a couple of 4oz pouches in my PSK. Won them from red cross at the fair.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I keep a bunch of these in random open spaces. I even heard of a guy filling his tailgate(remove panel, fill, reinstall) with them

·
Through Knowledge, Peace
4,952 Posts
i keep a 24 pack of bottled water in my truck .... i drink from it when I get thirsty while on the road, and when i start to get low, i replace it with another pack.... $4

1 - 20 of 31 Posts