Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good idea or bad idea? What's the best way to do it? Should I have it tested?

I like the idea of storing tap water ultimately because it is FREE!! I am thinking milk jugs thoroughly cleaned because I have three small kids and we drink milk like it's going out of style.

Anybody have any thoughts? What do you do? How do you do it?

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
Storing tap water is perfectly logical. No sense wasting tons of money buying bottled water. It already comes chlorinated but you can certainly add more if you feel a need.

As for used milk jugs. The plastic they are made from is very weak and will break down quickly. If you use them you will likely find them leaking within 6 to 12 months potentially creating a mess. Better to use better storage containers. A lot of people like to use 2 or 3 liter soda bottles. Much more durable.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,874 Posts
I mostly use 2 liter pepsi bottles as my son is a Pepsiholic. I have close to 200 bottles at the moment and gaining more all the time. but I also have about a dozen cases of bottled water.
Anyway, if you search you'll find that most of us on here would and do collect the tap water ranging from 2 liter bottles to 55 gallon drums plus a lot of us have filters of different kinds to help filter out the bad stuff in case we need to get water from a lake or stream.

Have fun.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you are juice drinkers you can reuse the bottles it comes in, too. We buy cran-grape juice in gallon bottles and reuse them when empty, good solid jugs.

If your tap water is from a well you should give a few drops of chlorine to make sure there aren't any contaminants. I'm on well water and use household bleach in my storage water.

·
I have control issues
6,185 Posts
Storing tap water is fine. I do it all the time. Using milk jubs is NOT a good idea, however. Not onlyis the plastic weak, but it also tends to hold on to the bacteria from the milk. I use empty juice bottles. I get apple, cranberry, etc. juices in bottles ranging from 2 qt. to gallon sizes. Once the bottles are empty, I remove the labels, rinse them out, then run them through the dishwasher. Once I take them out of the dishwasher, I use filtered tapwater to re-fill them, then store them. I have a LOT of water stored this way.

·
Angry ol' coot
3,912 Posts
Good idea or bad idea? What's the best way to do it? Should I have it tested?

I like the idea of storing tap water ultimately because it is FREE!! I am thinking milk jugs thoroughly cleaned because I have three small kids and we drink milk like it's going out of style.
Anybody have any thoughts? What do you do? How do you do it?
Other than milk jugs not being very durable over time, I've read on here that it's almost impossible to completely clean a milk jug. You wouldn't want any traces left or it would contaminate the water.

I buy a bottled water from Dollar Tree that comes in one gallon containers with a handle taped to it, that is very durable. The water at work is terrible, so I drink it there and take the bottle home to re-fill. It's a clear plastic, much stronger than milk jugs...thinking the name is Geyser Springs, or something like that...too lazy to go to the basement to check...sorry.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
we buy polar seltzer - seltzer hydrates you faster because the stomach dislikes carbonation so it forces water out and into your intestines. when the seltzer bottles are empty i fill em with tap water - rotate em out yearly
Thanks for this info, busher. I didn't know this. I drink a lot of seltzer water with lime and am glad to know there are benefits besides quenching my desire for something bubbly without the calories my beloved beers add. :thumb:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I make my own wine and we always have 5 gals or so of distilled water on hand. It comes in the milk type jugs and the other day when I went to get some from the pantry I found one jug had two small splits. Luckily it was towards the top and only a small amount of water had drained out. Nothing was stacked on top to cause this, it just split. Dont use milk jugs!

·
Registered
450 Posts
We have about 15, 55 gallon food grade barrels. We have filled those with water about a year ago. Probably a good time to empty and refill...

Is that safe? We have tons of filters, from pumps, jugs, pitchers, mugs, ect....

We also have a well out back, so I think we'd be okay on water.

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
Make sure you empty, clean, and refill the bottles every 6 to 8 months (even treated water can get icky after a while). Storing them in a dark, cool place helps too.

I use 2 litre bottles and store them in a large cooler in a closet.

When you empty them, do it in your garden (don't waste water).

·
Registered
930 Posts
i have a lot of water in milk jugs and they do leak after about 6 mo. I have them set back to wask with and for the bath room,I check them ever week to see if any leake and pitch them if so My drinking water and cooking water I have stored in 7 gal jugs from walmart their blue cant remember the name right off. they have a spicket on them in the lid. they are expencive but will last for years.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Milk jugs aren't durable? I have used the same milk jug for my crystal light for the last 3 years. That is over 600 gallons of water that it has stored. I fill it up every other day. Once a month I rinse it with hot water and bleach to get the funk out of it.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Milk jugs aren't durable? I have used the same milk jug for my crystal light for the last 3 years. That is over 600 gallons of water that it has stored. I fill it up every other day. Once a month I rinse it with hot water and bleach to get the funk out of it.
NO, milk jugs are NOT durable. In fact,they are infamously and notoriously leak-prone. I don't doubt your experience (so far) , but from everything I've read and experienced, yours is the exception.
I've personally found half-empty,leaking jugs in my stash, and I told my brother for a couple years that he needed to ditch his stack of 1-gallon water bottles, and he gave me the same story: "well, they've been fine so far". Then one day he says his "war-room" was soaked.
Did I take the high-road and not say, "I told you so" ?
NOPE !!! :D:

·
Chat Addict
98 Posts
I'd like to just add one point here -
Empty juice/soda (or my fav vitamin water!) bottles also make a great way to fill any freezer room you have, not only do they help keep the freezer cold if it loses power, but they are GREAT to grab and throw in a cooler to keep stuff cold temporarily without the mess that loose ice can make.
I have several gals stored water this way, its not gonna get icky either since its frozen nearly all the time.

just my $0.02

1 - 20 of 55 Posts