Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about sugar. I bought a 50 lb bag, then seperated it into smaller food saver bags, and sealed the food saver bags without vacuum sealing it. I plan on putting these bags int a plastic storage tub. If I buy 10 lb bags of sugar, I leave them in the paper bag and put them into food saver bags then seal them. We have ants so I am concerned about them ruining all my sugar. Is this the best way to do sugar or is there a better way?

·
15 years old
181 Posts
If you put them in a plastic storage tub how can the ants get in? Seems like a pretty logical thing to do if you ask me, yet again I'm no expert.

I think after closing the bags and putting them in a plastic storage, they should be safe from ants.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,135 Posts
If the ants can't get into the tub, then your sugar will be fine. If they can climb it and the lid doesn't fit really tight, they'll find a way in though. Ants are really bad at that.

Sugar is pretty easy to store. It doesn't need anything fancy. It doesn't need protected from O2 or anything. It just needs to be kept dry and away from buggies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm planning on storing honey too. Thanks for the replies, it helps my confidence to know I'm on the right track.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Sure its called honey. never goes bad, takes less to use than sugar and unlike sugar its 100% natural. also very easy to store.
How exactly is sugar unnatural? It comes from sugar cane, (which is in reality, a type of grass), or sugar beets (a plant in the same family as Amaranthus). Brown sugar is just the crystallized sap of sugar cane, or the crystallized extracted juice of sugar beets. Products like Sweet & Low are unnatural, saccharine is a man-made chemical, sugar is not. Honey, although a very good sweetener, and capable of being stored (literally) for centuries; is also more highly allergenic than sugar, with most sugar allergies (or intolerances) resulting from processed sugar. Honey should never be given to children under the age of two (and likely older), because honey can contain botulism spores which their immature immune system can't deal with. What makes sugar in any way unnatural, is when it is processed (bleached), as the heat required changes its chemical structure, while at the same time it destroys the natural vitamins and enzymes. Unprocessed sugar is no more unhealthful than honey, and their glycemic index is practically equal.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
If it's long term storage, how about sealing the bucket or container with a thin bead of silicon to make it air and ant tight.

Honey in the original container is a great way to store sweatener.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Ants WILL find a way. Been there. I have quite a bit of my sugar stored in 1/2 gal mason jars. Bulky, but no worries anymore about them little buggers

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I put my sugar in mylar bag lined buckets, but when i have a smaller amount, I slip it in a vacuum bag and just seal it. once bugs and moisture can't get in, it's good to go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Everyone in the free world has an empty holiday popcorn can. I buy large bags of sugar, put it in smaller bags and then inside the clean, dry popcorn can. If you get the right cans, you can even stack them in the corner for decoration.
If you don't have one on hand, you can probably pick them up at your local recycling center or second hand store; here we have the Salvation Army Thrift Store.

·
I have control issues
6,040 Posts
I have a question about sugar. I bought a 50 lb bag, then seperated it into smaller food saver bags, and sealed the food saver bags without vacuum sealing it. I plan on putting these bags int a plastic storage tub. If I buy 10 lb bags of sugar, I leave them in the paper bag and put them into food saver bags then seal them. We have ants so I am concerned about them ruining all my sugar. Is this the best way to do sugar or is there a better way?
That's pretty much the way I do sugar. I buy it in 5 lb bags (easier to get here), vacuum-seal them, then either put two of them together in a 1 1/2 gallon ziploc bag, or put them into a plastic storage tub. The vacuum sealing keeps out both bugs AND moisture, so the sugar should keep practically forever.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
My wife drinks soda like there is no tomorrow. I wash the 2 litre bottles out and dry them thoroughly. They are great, inexpensive storage containers for sugar, salt, seasonings, pepper corns, rice, instant coffee,dried beans, ect. I've even used them to store .22LR, great in a cache.They are water proof, insect resistant, and because of their shape, easily stored in various places. They even lend themselves to barter, if one were so inclined. TP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts