Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Always Loaded
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nobody would consider soda a practical necessity for survival. However, most of us have to admit that pleasure items are at home in our preps. Chocolate, tobacco, liquor, sweets, ect. There is nothing wrong with keeping some treats around to keep morale up. We are not big soda drinkers. I do love a good A&W Root Beer from time to time. Ginger Ale is also helpful for tummy trouble with the kids. Several years ago, we put back a couple dozen 2 liters. They are much more economical and the easy choice. Right? Not really......For those that don't know, plastic soda bottles slowly leak pressure. In a bout a year, those bottle were as flat as tap water. Cans however will hold their fizz indefinitely. We are currently drinking some from 2014. Learn from our mistake!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
YES!

My wife really likes Cherry Coke and I really like rootbeer and cream soda. I have considered learning how to make my own, but has not been real high on my list. A few 12 packs set aside is a pretty darn good idea.

Thanks for posting the personal research.

·
Deo iuvante
4,977 Posts
Glass soda bottles are best for storage in my experience. Cans will eventually start to have a metallic taste to the soda. You could also get your own soda maker -- CO2, soda syrup, and something like the SodaStream or DrinkMate.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I second the soda maker. Cans don't last all that well either. I've even found them that had dried up inside over the years. I have no idea how that's possible. I've also had them corrode from the inside and spew or drip. Bottles might be a little better, but I've encountered flat soda in years old bottles too. None of them are designed for long term storage. Flavoring syrups, properly packaged, should last a lot longer. I doubt they will in their factory packaging, but that's not hard to correct.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've had both cans and bottles, including diet! go bad and spew all over. More than once. Not something I would keep in long term preps.

Might put some jars of gatorade powder, crystal lite, or kool aid in your preps if you need something sweet. Not carbonated, but at least it's sweet and wet ...

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I've had both cans and bottles, including diet! go bad and spew all over. More than once. Not something I would keep in long term preps.

Might put some jars of gatorade powder, crystal lite, or kool aid in your preps if you need something sweet. Not carbonated, but at least it's sweet and wet ...
Diet sodas have a weird thing about losing their sweetness in a couple months. I use diet Coke as my caffeine source when I sell at gun shows. Sometimes my leftovers sit between shows. And I've had it completely lose it's sweetness a number of times. If I have leftovers now, I just drink them up instead of save them.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
A metal soda siphon bottle with boxes of CO2 cartridges stores very well in very little space. Add concentrated flavor syrups bottled in glass for whatever soda flavors you want. Put a little syrup in a glass and add seltzer. You don't need an expensive soda maker machine.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Diet sodas have a weird thing about losing their sweetness in a couple months. I use diet Coke as my caffeine source when I sell at gun shows. Sometimes my leftovers sit between shows. And I've had it completely lose it's sweetness a number of times. If I have leftovers now, I just drink them up instead of save them.
pop has an expiration date for a reason. it will expire. diet is 90 days, due to the breakdown of the sweetener. other sodas can go a year, but they will not taste good. cola will taste like blood (iron), and as other flavors break down it will get cardboard-ey tasting, sometimes smokey.

cans will leak, sunlight will damage anything in a clear bottle (which is why beer bottles are brown), metal caps on glass bottles eventually rust. plastic bottles eventually have oxygen permeation.

I would not ever consider stocking soda/pop (as we call it) as a prep.

learn to make root beer, ginger ale, or whatever from scratch if you really want. if you don't want to naturally carbonate, it is pretty easy to force carbonate any beverage with CO2, you may consider storing co2 as a prep, that would make much more sense.

you can force carbonate in a Cornelius keg, or even a 2L plastic pop bottle; they sell adapters that screw on them you plumb to the co2 tank. chill, pressurize, shake, let it settle in the fridge overnight...used to do that when I made beer so you don't have the sediment ring of yeast in the bottle...(you can make a counter pressure bottle filler at home as well to fill smaller bottles if you want).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can definitely vouch for the short shelf life.

My last soda holdout was diet Sunkist. Just loved that stuff. I tried adding it to my pantry rotation. Buy it cheap and stack it deep. But I found that the taste went off quickly. The best storage time I got was around 60 days before they went 'off'. And that was when I bought a bunch of the 6 packs of 19.6oz bottles at the same time and stored them in my unheated garage during the winter. So they always stayed cold and mostly in the dark.

I finally decided to just give them up entirely. Nowadays when I'm not drinking home brewed tea, I use various Crystal Light packets, the ones with caffeine in them.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Soda stream is the way to go. You can buy their flavors or store brand flavors and freeze in ice cube trays. We mostly just drink the bubbly water without flavor, but there are lots of recipes for homemade flavors as well.

Droid did it!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
We very rarely drink pop in our household. So a 24 pack of pop will last us years.

I've had enough cans **** out their contents in our cupboards that I've gone to putting the cans in a plastic tub.

Pepsi, Coke, Dr Pepper, they've all done it. I've never had plastic bottles leak, but they lose their carbonation over time, making it useless.

I wonder how glass bottles would hold up? As a brewer I have tons of bottles and caps,; I may experiment with repackaging just for fun. Buy some cheap 2 liters and put into 12 oz bottles?

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
18,054 Posts
I'm in vending so I actually do soda for a living.

3 months for bottles, 6 months for cans. It is very important to rotate the stock so you have fresh merchandise.

If you don't, they go flat and bad-tasting very quickly.

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
If stored in a COOL clean dry dark place. There are all sorts of champagnes, Asti sparking wines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asti_wine), sparkling ciders (both alcoholic & non-alcoholic) that if properly bottled will handle LTS well. Matter of fact, many will get better with age.

I have bottle numerous cases of sparkling wines & ciders now in LTS.
Even some with no discernable alcohol content, suitable for youngsters.

·
[96] wks to off-grid esc
1,542 Posts
If stored in a COOL clean dry dark place. There are all sorts of champagnes, Asti sparking wines (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asti_wine), sparkling ciders (both alcoholic & non-alcoholic) that if properly bottled will handle LTS well. Matter of fact, many will get better with age.

I have bottle numerous cases of sparkling wines & ciders now in LTS.
Even some with no discernable alcohol content, suitable for youngsters.
Plus one to this. We have some juice grape vines and make a huge batch of grape juice every year, can't beat it. It probably sounds a little extreme to some here, but for the sake of skill building we set out to make our own soda one summer. We just used a CO2 paintball bottle, the plumbing wasn't that costly to build a DIY carbonator. The Soda pop was awesome, grape, ginger, apple, pear, where easy enough to come up with. Molassis is a key ingredient in Cola, we added ground Anice and got a licorice type flavor that was really good and my kids still talk about it. We just used mason jars, but I'm sure you could bottle it up like beer for barter or storage in SHTF. I've got the carbonator stuff in a box of preps somewhere...I think...now that's gonna bother me until I dig it up...

·
gagged
3,833 Posts
Cream soda is vanilla plus simple syrup added to water and carbonated the pharmacy soda fountain used tk sell them as a vanilla phosphate
No need for store bought mix, 1 tsp vanilla extract sugar and water boiled into a simple syrup.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts