Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little FYI.

Salt and sugar do NOT need to be vacuum sealed or hot canned to remain "fresh" being they do NOT spoil. Hot canning can actually ruin Sugar. The container just needs to be protected from moisture and pests, so even just a 5 gal bucket with a good seal will work. No need to expend the energy and money vacuum sealing or dropping an O2 absorber in with it.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,455 Posts
I store a bunch in bucket with just a lid. It's dry here so I don't have to worry about humidity. I also have a bunch of sacks on shelves that I haven't gotten around to packing yet. I think I'm just going to keep salt in the bags from now on. Easier to store that way and no downside. Sugar will still get packed to keep ants out, though I haven't had that problem yet.

·
Premium Member
24,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rice is to help it flow in a shaker better. For storage if you really have a moisture problem, desiccant packs would be a better idea.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
They may cake up and get hard, but a good whack with a hammer should cure that. Other then that, they preserve just fine in a bucketand lid.

I do use a mylar bag as an extra barrier against pests, ants, etc.

·
I have control issues
6,124 Posts
They may store OK without vacuum sealing, but I prefer to do so because

1. moisture is sealed out
2. it keeps bugs out
3. it keeps "other" critters out.

Since I store my supplies in the basement (which, being below ground, DOES tend to have more tendency for all of the above potential problems) I want to make sure I protect my stuff from moisture, bugs, and vermin.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I seal our salt and suger in #10 cans get about 9-10 lbs per can

·
Registered
174 Posts
I vacuum seal everything I can. Sure, you can leave sugar and salt out but why not seal it against moisture, insects, and other debris. The only items that I will not vacuum seal are those that would be damaged, like live seeds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts