Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everyone store their propane? I know the dangers of stroring it inside with possible leakage through the release valve. But stroring it outside with temperature changes could ruin the tank.

So where do you store the large 20 lb tanks and the small 1 lb tanks?

·
Miles togo before I sleep
472 Posts
So long as they are outside (ie well ventilated) you really do not have to worry about temperature changes. Just make sure they don't grow legs

The 20lbs tanks are only filled to 15-17lbs if you use one of the trade in places and even a refill site still leaves room for expansion.

I talked to the gas company today and they are swapping out my 250 gal tank for a 1000 gal (which they will only fill to 800 gal to leave room for expansion.
Note a 500 gal tank is only filled to 400 gal.

Good Luck! Hope this helps!

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,634 Posts
I don't store a whole lot of it. Just a few 20 lb and 1 lb tanks. I just keep them inside the garage. My old garage is adobe with a barn type door so it has enough ventilation to prevent any vapor buildup. Otherwise I would just put them in the storage shed. Anywhere out of the rain is fine. Come to think of it, rain probably wouldn't hurt them anyway, but why chance rust?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I store them in the garage. I've never had any leakage problems exept when I refill the 1lb cylinders off of a 20lb, and I had the small ones too cold and the big tank too warm and really got a good fill. As the 1lb tank warms up, the over preasure valve would start hissing a little, so I keep those on my boat outside.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As long as the tanks are maintained with fuel on the inside, the only corrosion will be to the outside. And as any Sailor will tell you, if it moves grease it, and if it doesn't move Paint it.

The point being, the brass parts can be coated with petroleum jelly to prevent corrosion as the brass connections are designed to slide against another connector IE move.

The body of the tank however will just need to be painted. The inside of the tank if kept with fuel will have no Oxygen to allow Oxides to form (Rust).

Propane does not break down, so there are concerns with adding anything.

Oh and a side note, if opening a valve on a propane tank and temp is below 40 degrees, OPEN THE VALVE VERY SLOWLY Else the safety feature will think that the valve has a rupture beyond it and will decrease flow to almost nothing.

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
I keep mine in an equipment storage shed on a pallet rack. One pallet of 5 gal bottles and one 150 gal tank.

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
Out of direct sunlight if they are not white.Those little 1lb tanks will purge gas out if heated and the large 20lber ( to me those are small) will do the same in direct sunlight on a hot day. The large tanks over 100lbs can handle the sun as they are constructed differently.I would not reccomend storing any inside the house for saftey reasons.

·
Forum Administrator
16,782 Posts
1 pound canisters - in the closet, or with my camping gear.

Larger bottles - in a locked shed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Since I live in an apartment I have been storing 1 lb canisters indoors and in an outside storage closet for about 10 yrs with out any adverse effects. I moved 1.5 yrs ago and now all my propane tanks are stored in any outside storage closet attached to my apartment. It is the best i can do with out getting a rental storage space. That would be counter productive since none is close by that I have access to 24/7.

·
Road Trip!!!
850 Posts
I never thought too much about it but I store some of my 1lb inside. Is it ok to store them inside? I mostly have the 1lb tanks. When it comes to having propane stored longterm they cost about the same as 20 lb. There is no gaurantee that we will be able to get the 20 lb refilled if there is a long term SHTF. I have several 20 lbs and use them for weekend grilling and shortterm needs but for longterm I stock up on the small ones.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have a heated garage and a special Stealcase cabinet. I use this steel cabinet for storing my 6 brand new 30 pound propane bottle in. I bought them for 20.00 bucks each at K-mart.I have a 40 pound propane tank in my motor home that I keep top off.

I keep all my empty 5 gallon gas cans in this cabinet to. I been buying gas can where ever I can find them. I have 8 of them so far not count 3 gas tanks from my boat.I had all the gas filled in all my cans but it was time to rotate the gas. I poured the old gas in my trucks and didn't bother refilling them.I will be refilling them very soon and add additives.

I have a couple different type 30 pound refrigerant bottles for doing refrigeration side work.

·
The Mom
1,163 Posts
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but rather than start a new one... I don't have any outbuildings to store propane. I was going to get a portable propane powered heater for the winter, but was wondering if it would be okay to store the 1lb canisters outside on the deck in a rubbermaid tub.

Or if you have any other suggestions, that'd be great. Thanks.

·
reluctant sinner
17,466 Posts
That would work. Those 1# cans don't run very long in a heater, perhaps a few hours at best on low and they cost a fortune. A propane lantern will put out heat and light. With the proper hose you can run the heater on a bar b que tank, much cheaper.

I have the 3 speed heater/cooker. http://www.amazon.com/Century-000-BTU-Heater-Cooker/dp/B000LVL674

This hose will work. http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Pro...1-5023449?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S4JC9KP0FY7ZDJT1196

Be careful burning anything inside that is un vented. A good battery powered carbon monoxide detector can save your life. Crack a window or two open for fresh air.

·
The Mom
1,163 Posts
Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater:Amazon:Home & Kitchen

This thing (Mr. Heater Buddy Portable Radiant Heater--the link showed up funny once I posted) apparently shuts itself off if it detects low oxygen levels, but you're right it's better to be safe than sorry.

I've never used anything like this before-- I need something to heat a room in my apartment in case of yet another horrible winter storm this year. Would this or the one you suggested be safe? For indoor use that is.

For cooking, I have sterno stocked up as well as the little sterno stove contraption. I don't plan on doing more than heating canned food, boiling water, maybe scrambling an egg. This is short term, like I said, mostly for winter power outages.

·
reluctant sinner
17,466 Posts
That will work. I would cammo a bbq tank in a small trash can on the deck. 1# can is about 4.5 hours on low, about 2 hours on high. The rip off Blue Rhino are 17 #.

I don't trust the low oxygen sensor, as that is different than carbon monoxide production/detection.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts