Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor is harvesting potatoes and I was going to get some from him. I was wanting to know how would be the best way to store them.
I know a root cellar with straw would be best, but we don't have a root cellar. We don't have a cool storage place in the house. I've tried to store them on wire racks in the shed, but it is too hot in the summer and below freezing in the winter.
We are planning to can some and can stew using them.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've read about putting a metal garbage can (new and clean, of course) in the ground. It should be buried with only about 3-4" out of the ground to prevent water from getting in. Put a layer of straw on the bottom and then a layer of potatoes. Continue to fill the can. Put the lid on the can and cover it with several inches of mulch to help keep the temperature under control

Now, I haven't tried this and don't know if it will work, but we plan to try it this fall. Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

·
Tell the truth, coward.
15,585 Posts
My neighbor is harvesting potatoes and I was going to get some from him. I was wanting to know how would be the best way to store them.
I know a root cellar with straw would be best, but we don't have a root cellar. We don't have a cool storage place in the house. I've tried to store them on wire racks in the shed, but it is too hot in the summer and below freezing in the winter.
We are planning to can some and can stew using them.
Any ideas?
leave them outside on the verandah till they're dry (a day or so) and then put them in a paper sack in your pantry or other dark cupboard. set aside anything that had a fork through it and eat that lot first. You can separate small ones out for seed at this time as well but I never do.

They last all winter in there. if you get them wet they will rot. If you get them wet and warm they will rot fast. If they are dry and warm they will be fine, if they are dry and cold they will be fine.

I'm not speaking from some website: this is how I do mine.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Leave them in the ground where they lay, harvest as you need.

Rent a backhoe and dig in a root cellar. Cool, dark and damp, with a bit of ventilation...

·
Homesteader / Workershare
1,660 Posts
I don't have a good place to cellar them either. Like you, I can some. I dehydrate a lot of them as well. Dehydrating is especially good if you are planning to use in soups and stews over the winter. Just add extra water to your pot and toss the already diced dry pieces in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is it normal for Yukon Gold potato plant-tops to start dying already? I was expecting this to happen at least in September. They had some mid season stress due to a wind storm knocking them over, but they seemed to recover fairly well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Is it normal for Yukon Gold potato plant-tops to start dying already? I was expecting this to happen at least in September. They had some mid season stress due to a wind storm knocking them over, but they seemed to recover fairly well.
Don't know where you are, but here in Central TX ours have already gone bye bye. They lasted until mid June when the temperatures began to get in the 90's. I tried leaving part of one square in the ground, but most of them rotted. By "square" I mean square foot - we're using the square foot gardening method. GP

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't know where you are, but here in Central TX ours have already gone bye bye. They lasted until mid June when the temperatures began to get in the 90's. I tried leaving part of one square in the ground, but most of them rotted. By "square" I mean square foot - we're using the square foot gardening method. GP
Thanks, I'm in northeast Ohio. We've had some intensely hot days. I've had a few plants totally die and I left those taters in the ground. Now I'm worried they're probably rotten to the core now. I can't imagine that the living plants will last more than a few weeks. Should be an interesting harvest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts