Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Junior
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking today about storing hard liquor, beer, and wine.
How long does hard liquor, beer, and wine last?
What hard liquor, beer, and wine do you store for SHTF situation?
How do you store it?
What can you use it for if SHTF? Trading? Cooking? etc...

What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I started to store up bottles of wine about 6 months ago. I buy a bottle a week just for my back up, in addition to what I drink during the week. Have around 50+ and growing. I also have started buying hard liquor (rums, whisky, vodka).

Next phase I will start to build up a stock of those airline mini bottles to use as barter items. I'm thinking around 100+ would be nice to have for trade.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was thinking the same thing today!! lol
Best way to store liquor,beer, and wine!
Come on people!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
anything 20% abv or higher will store indeffinetly and wine if propperly sealed will last in the bottle for years beer not sure as it has the losest alcohol content of the lot

alcohol will have lots of uses post shtf wor sterilizing drinking trade and compounding medicine

Reactions: survivalistmomma

·
Guss Chiggins
88 Posts
plans for a still

though it is never as good as the pros make. I have been buying the equipment to make my own still. only need to store yeast and grain to make my own lightning. Though I don't drink it will be worth a lot. And I will use it for the herbal remedies.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I'm not dealing with any beer/wine. I'm just stocking the hard stuff.

Once a week I spend $15. It get

1 half gallon- Plastic bottle- for my own stores.
1 1/2 pint - plastic bottle - for barter and bribes.

I buy the cheap stuff and I buy in common varieties

Vodka
Rum
Whiskey

A Few times when I have the extra dough. I buy a case.

·
Combat Veteran
2,275 Posts
Wine should be stored in a cold dark humid place so the cork doesn't shrink. allowing loss or contamination. Hard liquior will last decades whether the seal is in tact or not. Beer doesn't fair as well and will degrade and turn in a short period of time depending on temp and storage location.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Beer isn’t really worth storing because of short shelf life. Wine has to be kept at certain temps and humidity to store properly. But Liquor is fine sitting on a shelf so I would stock up on popular types of liquor in glass bottles. Plastic will degrade over time and is somewhat porous so air can get in and degrade the contents so if you’re looking for long term storage go with glass.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I agree about choosing things like vodka and whiskey. We once found a 20 or more year old beer bottle and opened it, it didn't smell terrible but lets say it didn't smell nice either. No one dared trying drinking it.

I've found 15 (?) year old beer cans. Unopened and empty. The beer had evaporated still. Quite strange.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Wine should be stored in a cold dark humid place so the cork doesn't shrink. allowing loss or contamination. Hard liquior will last decades whether the seal is in tact or not. Beer doesn't fair as well and will degrade and turn in a short period of time depending on temp and storage location.
Have to watch out for breakage with glass. That's why we chose plastic. No loss of product due to breakage and easily transported in a hurry.

·
ex-Infantry Iraq Vet
281 Posts
What can you use it for if SHTF? Trading? Cooking? etc...
Sterilization I believe, though that may be only certain types of alcohols.
Bartering is a good one too since not many people will have the knowledge / equipment to make their own alcohol
Yes alcohol can be used in some dishes as well, probably search the web for recipes using alcohol.
I would use it to keep the edge off. If you're going through weeks and months of being bugged in and there is no electricity getting drunk helps pass the time.

Careful though as alcohol dehydrates the body. ONLY drink if you're good on water

Anyway thanks for the topic, adding hard liquor to my list of storage supplies :thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Other than for cleaning, come SHTF I am T-total. This is a luxury I would not be able to realistically indulge in until normality returns.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
though it is never as good as the pros make. I have been buying the equipment to make my own still. only need to store yeast and grain to make my own lightning. Though I don't drink it will be worth a lot. And I will use it for the herbal remedies.
id be careful how much you brodcast that having an unregistered still is bad carma if the revenuers/batf find out its illegal to distil in most states you can also jack your wine if you make it as alcohol has a lower freezing point you can take a barrel of it leave outside nice winter day water will freezr and youll have highly concentrated booz no distilling at the bottom of your bucket thats also where the term applejack came from was jacking apple cider

but that being said

here is a link to an outstanding man from arkansas that make some high quality "lawn ornaments"

http://www.coppermoonshinestills.com/

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I don't drink. My husband likes burban but has a very bad heart.

I am buying Vodka for bartering.

But am thinking about buying some Brandy to make Elderberry Cordial for barter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I saw a couple of twenty year old bottles of Jack. The amber color had faded and the amount in the unopened bottle was lower. The hillbilly's answer... Dunk it in wax ala Makers Mark. Just some thing I saw 15 yrs ago. Wonder if those bottles are still around?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts