Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Any container sutable for gas storage works but you have to dope the gas with sta-bil or per-g and it will only last around 2 years with a good doping or you can get the book, "browns alcohol motor fuel cookbook", from paladin press and that can help you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Also try to avoid gas containing ethanol, as I've read that gas will go bad much quicker than non-ethanol gas.

My question is, will 89 Octane last longer than 87? I generally only store gas for about 1 year using sta-bil, but have always wondered if higher octane would be better to store?

·
SNAFU
242 Posts
Also try to avoid gas containing ethanol, as I've read that gas will go bad much quicker than non-ethanol gas.

My question is, will 89 Octane last longer than 87? I generally only store gas for about 1 year using sta-bil, but have always wondered if higher octane would be better to store?
I've been told that it all stores the same but I wouldn't bank on that.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
I can't say anything about gas that has been treated with Sta-Bil or any other agent. I have used untreated gas that was 2 to 2.5 years old without any problems. It fired up in the tractor and ran fine. That was years ago and it had no ethanol in it.

My guess would be that if you use a stabilizer then it should give you 3-4 maybe 5 years.

Does anyone know for sure if you can keep adding a stabilizer to gas to keep it good?

·
1,049 Posts
Don't use Sta-Bil for "long-term" storage. It's fine for over-the-winter kind of storage, though.

Use Pri-G for long-term storage.

Some people whine about the cost of Pri-G, but compared to the value of the gas today and it greatly increased value after SHTF, it is very cheap.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Can you keep gas or diesel in those storage tanks that people put water...they look like large white plastic squares with a metal grid on the outside. ???

·
Almost home
589 Posts
Sta-bil offers a marine product they claim preserves better in harsh environments, its purple. Treatment is 1 oz per 5 gallons, cost is about twice the red product. I can't find the Pri-G locally or would give it a try.

FWIW, I just used a 6 gal can, filled 1/10, and treated with Sta-bil red a few days ago, it was 100% fine. It had been over treated with Sta-bil though, 4 oz in the can (2 oz would be the normal dose).

·
Anyone?
3,612 Posts
Can you keep gas or diesel in those storage tanks that people put water...they look like large white plastic squares with a metal grid on the outside. ???
I wouldn't.
Whether gasoline would degrade that type of plastic is unknown. Also, gas expands and contracts much more than water and that will flex plastic and it will eventually break. And spill your contents all over. And your neighbors will wonder where the smell is coming from.
How do I know? ;)

Me:
Keep 2 of our 3 cars always half full - 20gal.
3 - 5 gallon plastic jerry cans - 15 gal.
a STEEL 55 gallon drum with vapor check valve - 50 gal.
That's it.
I just don't have the room or want to take the risk of storing more.

All treated with double dose of Stabil.
Can't wait until it's time to rotate it all...:eek:

·
Anyone?
3,612 Posts
Don't use Sta-Bil for "long-term" storage. It's fine for over-the-winter kind of storage, though.

Use Pri-G for long-term storage.

Some people whine about the cost of Pri-G, but compared to the value of the gas today and it greatly increased value after SHTF, it is very cheap.
Personal experience?

I never had a problem with Stabil. But then again, I never had a problem without Stabil either :)

I see the PRI products are spec'ed for longer storage, so yeah. I'm inclined to agree.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
I've done a considerable amount of digging on the subject, and I THINK I know a few things.:D:
First, as stated above, gasoline is stable for quite a while with nothing added to it, at least two years if stored properly. There are cases of it lasting much longer un-treated, but obviously don't count on that.
Sta-bil is probably better than nothing, but I've been reading about some issues with it. Supposedly it causes problems with hoses and seals.
Pri-G has long been considered the best stuff around,but it is a little expensive and hard to find. I used it for a while, but my bottle is maybe three years old, and I think that's well beyond it's advertised shelf-life.
After reading great stuff about Star-Brite Star Tron, I picked some up for my most recent fuel rotation. Don't let the stupid name scare you off, they've been making good products for marine use for a long time. This stuff also is good for stabilizing ethanol gas, and like Pri-G can be used to rejuvinate old gas. Another plus, it's readily available at Wal-Mart in the boating section ( look for the small clear,plastic bottle with blue liquid). It's about $10 and will stabilize 120+ gallons, IIRC.
You do want to avoid ethanol gas,it's junk and it's use has been attributed to problems with hoses and seals, especially in small engines. It's also known to have a much shorter storage life,on it's own.
Here's a link for finding non-ethanol stations in your area :
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=GA
And here's a link to a fantastic survival-related company that sells Pri-G if you're looking for it:
http://www.survivalunlimited.com/
And here's Star-brite :
http://www.starbrite.com/productdet...Cat=Marine&ProductSCat=Displays&ProductSSCat=

·
Half assed prepared
554 Posts
I found a guy on craigslist selling a 55 gallon plastic drum 1/4 full of racing fuel.
I added stabil and filled it the rest of the way up.
I use about 1/2 over a summer for my toys add more stabil and refill the barrel in the fall.
No problems so far and its stored in a shed away from the house.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use Star Tron for fuel storage. I would probably have tried Sta-bil or Pri-G as I had heard more about them but neither is available in Australia. Haven't had any issues with Start Tron, it works well.

Here's the main things you need to know about fuel storage. Have to excuse me if the terminology is not American, I'm not American. Generally the higher the octane content the longer it can be stored without screwing up your engine. I imagine the racing fuel mentioned above would have a very high octane content. Would probably store for a lot longer than regular fuel. Fuel attracts water. Fuel with ethanol attracts even more water. Two ways to avoid this, don't use ethanol fuels, keep it sealed airtight in an almost full container. Storing ethanol fuel in a half full container is asking for water problems.
The lower the temperature the longer you can store fuel. Temperature stability is important too. As mentioned above fuel turns to vapour and expands out, bowing even good quality containers. You can vent them from time to time but your letting in more humid air, ie a small amount of water every time, and you are losing a small amount of fuel every time.

Summary, use the best quality fuel you can afford, don't use ethanol, keep it airtight, keep it cool. Star Tron works, haven't tried Pri-G or Sta-Bil. Anybody want to send me a sample, I'll write a review. :)

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I put Sta-bil in my motor home 3 years ago. I brought the motor home to the gas station on fumes.I filled the gas tank to the top with winter type gasoline.

Three years later I started the motor home up and drove several hundred miles with no problems.I refilled the motor home before parking it at my camp grounds. I added Sta-bil but will use Pri-G next time.This Pri-G is a lot better and should last a lot longer than Sta-bil.

·
Forgiven
2,295 Posts
Two years ago, I bought 89 octane and stored it in plastic cans with Sta-Bil. We keep the cans in a patio box away from the house. The cans expanded a little in the summer, but no problems otherwise. I used some to fill my tank last week.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts