Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been stocking up on some canned goods lately as well as sakcs of beans/rices and have them in my garage.

After I thought about it, the garage does get pretty darn hot in the summer so re-thinking this...

Is it better to have this stuff in the house somewhere?

·
Registered
412 Posts
It freezes here in the winter, so I've kept everything that contains water inside the house, but I've got a shed I keep all my buckets, ramen, and other dry goods in. I've also used this to store any alcohol I have that's above 60 proof.

Cans I don't know about, I'm sure most would be fine. With the ones that have a thin perforation like Spam or canned hams you should keep those in the house, cause I have seen some freeze and burst.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cold is not a problem here...might get down to about 30-40 degrees at the lowest...Im more concerned about the summer heat.

Im guessing the garage gets above 90 in summer...maybe over 100 on some days.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I think cool and dry is the rule of thumb. I have cans stored anywhere from room temp (~65-68F) in the house to about 50-60F year-round in a cold part part of my basement. My basement is pretty dry.

Tom

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Attached garage in climates with below freezing temps work. Mine stays in the 30s no matter how cold it gets. In the summer, it it about 10 degrees cooler than outside. DON'T LET STUFF FREEZE.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Canned goods are heated to very high temperature before sealing to kill off bacteria. They often sit in warehouses and trucks for days/weeks at a time in very high temps. They are sealed and bacteria cannot get in. Therefore the only real danger of leaving canned food in high temps is if they get so hot that the seal is compromised. This is highly unlikely unless the cans are already rusted or have been damaged in some way first. Extreme heat may change the consistency and taste but of itself is no danger. if you are looking at rotating canned food about every two years I'd go ahead and leave them in your garage. We have a garage and pantry full of canned stuff and just turn the cans upside down every three months to preserve consistency of texture etc.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
1. Pack it correctly- do NOT leave rice and beans in the original bags for long periods of time.
2. Store it away somewhere if at all possible.
3. If it's not possible, understand that PROPER PACKAGING is going to help quite a bit.

Here's some real world examples of various types of food that was stored in a garage in Florida and a metal building in Georgia (very hot regions). The rice was from 1991 and we just finished rotating that a few months ago. No problems (other than the oxidation from the lack of mylar and o2 absorbers. None to be had in 1991)

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
Thanks for asking this question. I started storing food a few weeks ago and I have been storing in my garage too. I will need to take a closer look when it starts to warm up again.

·
Who is John Galt?
585 Posts
Ok, I haven't searched this site hard yet, but LowDown says not to keep the rice and beans in the original plastic bags......so I am to assume that you remove them and just put them in the containers you are using?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts