Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my basic question is... is there any significant advantage, in terms of longevity, of storing reloading supplies instead of pre-manufactured ammunition? Can primers & powder be stored by themselves so as to last longer than ammo?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Ya can't shoot an unloaded cartridge, so if you have the materials load em up.
Much of the military surplus ammo has a shelf life of over 20yrs from what I have read. Much of it is steel case with lacquer and if kept in an ammo box cool and DRY, should not have any problems. Reloads can vary with the materials you use, but keep your powder dry as they say and avoid most problems.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I have ammo from 1923 that works fine. I have a bunch from the 40s and 50s and some from the 70s,80s, and 90s and it all goes bang when you pull the trigger.

The difference is military ammo is water sealed. do this for your reloads and they should last the same way. Most people who reload do not seal them and that is the critical mistake for short life.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
Twenty years ago I loaded a bunch of 44 mag ammo. It's been stored in ammo cans all this time. Still shoots fine. I also have powder and primers that are at least 20 years old but have been kept dry and burns as good as it did when bought new.
What ever you store, supplies or ammo, as log as they are kept dry and in a climate controlled environment they will last practically forever.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
As a reloader I do both. Store ammo and reloading supplies.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Loaded ammo can probably be stored long term more reliably than componets can, but given proper storage conditions the difference is likely minimal. Its nothing for the military to store ammo for 20 years and then use it and have it operate as advertised, being a Weapons Tech I saw ammo on a regualr basis that was nearly as old as I was.

Me personally, I have a lot of loaded ammo, but I have a lot more in the way of componets. The reason for this arrangement is that with componets I can load what I need as I see fit instead of having to second guess what I am going to need and how much of it and then buy it. I feel this gives me a lot more flexibility and allows me to load what ever it is I am short on. Becuase of this I keep primers that can be used in muliple combinations on several calibers and I only keep 3-4 powders in large quantities. Even though I may never need them...Options are always a good thing to have a lot of!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I almost became a reloader because of this subject. I've found that with the money I have to spend on supplies, it's cheaper for me just to buy them out right when it comes to ammo. It could easily go the other way in due time, but for now I just keep the reloading data and not the supplies.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Mav
That is true at least at the start...
Once you spend the money for everything the first time, it gets better. Very rare you will need everything at the same time again...

The begining price is what stops most people from doing this, in time the more you reload you will pay for the loader and supplies...

·
Question Authority!
260 Posts
I have crunched the numbers forwards and backwards, and vice versa. Yes , it is the initial cost but when I am set up I can run 800 rounds in and hour: checking and rechecking everything. Besides that I can custom tailor rounds for each gun I own. That was my selling point. The cost of buying VS reloading is less than half. I enjoy shooting at least once every two weeks. If I was buying ammo I would have to get a part time job just to support the habit. A part time job cuts into time I have at my local gun club.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
If you shoot large calibers you will see the money even quicker. I load 7mm and 45-70 for a guy at less that 1/4 the price of pre fab and its higher quality.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I have been reloading for close to 30 years. I started because I loved to shoot but it was expensive buying ammo just to go to the range and burn it up in an afternoon. I started out with a Lee loader in 44 mag:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=696271
Loading lead bullets you can load for pennies on the dollar. The only draw back is the Lee loader is slow. But they produce great ammo.
Reloading is a lot like racing. The faster you want to go the more it's going to cost.

·
Accuracy is Final
506 Posts
I have to agree with the above posts. Using the right storage enviroment both loaded ammo and components will last a long long time. With that it comes down to a money issue for me. I can load 1000 62gr fmj 5.56 rounds for about $80.00 compared to buying the same ammo for about $400.00. I also load for many odd WW2 military calibers which are mush cheaper to load then to buy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I almost became a reloader because of this subject. I've found that with the money I have to spend on supplies, it's cheaper for me just to buy them out right when it comes to ammo. It could easily go the other way in due time, but for now I just keep the reloading data and not the supplies.
Hey Mav I also am planning on begeinning reloading. A friend in town talked me into it about 3 months ago, and now Im just waiting to move and buy the equipment.

But something I wanted to add also is that whether or not the shtf or if we just continue down this economic landslide, or if/when Obama makes the cost of ammo out of this world, or any combination of the three, reloading could become a very valubale resopurce to have the equipment for and to also use as a barteting skill, make some extra under the table cash.

Where I live, there are ALOT of sportsmen, and if costs continue to keep going up as they are on ammo, than I have no doubt it will certainly pay off by learning to do this in many ways.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Does anyone cast their own bullets? I have a fvriend who does this for his .45. He likes it. What about for rifles? Can you cast a bullet for a 30-06 and have it work well? In a shtf situation it may be good to be able to do this, if it works well.

·
Accuracy is Final
506 Posts
Oscar, yes you can cast for a 30-06, you just can't drive them as fast as jacketed bullets but still plenty fast for normal hunting jobs. Just started in on this but father-inlaw has been doing this a long time. I am learning alot from him. I have been stocking up on lead just in cast TSHTF.

·
Registered
212 Posts
new to relaoding

i just buoght a lee loader for my 9mm not just cost but its seems my hi power doesnt like long 9mm rounds and thats the way most 9mm 115 jk is loaded
it hang up in every magazine ive tried so im going to load some 124 lead that appears to have a shorter bullet the other reson was the post that their trying to tag powder in ill among other states so im going to get as much untagged as i can afford first
the reson for the lee size and portability besides it was a lot cheaper
but ive discovered a truth that everyone else has the same idea
trying to find 124jhp bullet is getting difficult oh well better to have some then none

·
Registered
581 Posts
Oscar, yes you can cast for a 30-06, you just can't drive them as fast as jacketed bullets but still plenty fast for normal hunting jobs. Just started in on this but father-inlaw has been doing this a long time. I am learning alot from him. I have been stocking up on lead just in cast TSHTF.
So you use less powder? What reloading specs are you using? Wish I had a father inlaw to teach me...

Where do you get the lead? Is old tire weight lead good for bullets? Anyone have any other ideas of where to pick up "junk" lead that would be useful for casting bullets? Any other tips for casting Hi Power rounds such as 30-06 would be appreciated

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey Mav I also am planning on begeinning reloading. A friend in town talked me into it about 3 months ago, and now Im just waiting to move and buy the equipment.

But something I wanted to add also is that whether or not the shtf or if we just continue down this economic landslide, or if/when Obama makes the cost of ammo out of this world, or any combination of the three, reloading could become a very valubale resopurce to have the equipment for and to also use as a barteting skill, make some extra under the table cash.

Where I live, there are ALOT of sportsmen, and if costs continue to keep going up as they are on ammo, than I have no doubt it will certainly pay off by learning to do this in many ways.

This is one of the thing that keeps me thinking about it, LOL. With ammo prices on the rise and the obamanation coming to a city near you, reloading has great posibilities.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Does anyone cast their own bullets? I have a fvriend who does this for his .45. He likes it. What about for rifles? Can you cast a bullet for a 30-06 and have it work well? In a shtf situation it may be good to be able to do this, if it works well.

Casting my own bullets would be a must and also another initial cost. I am thinking about working my way up piece by piece, but i don't think my wallet will even alow for that (I really am that poor).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts