Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard many different opinions on storing loaded Mags. I would like to keep 7 5.56 and 7 AK mags loaded for a SHTF moment I have High quality mags and Brass cased ammo.
Not having any real experience with storing Mags for a long time(Years) I would think loading and unloading mags would put more stress on the mags springs then keeping them loaded.
my dad told me to keep them not fully loaded 28 in a 30 for example.
What say you ??

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
keeping the mags loaded does weaken the springs over time if i were to keep mags loaded all the time i would do it in cycles say i have 20 mags id keep ten loaded for two weeks then unload em and put in the other ten so that way the spring doesnt stay compressed all the time

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
No problem in 20 years

I load up 20 round mags with 16 rounds in em and 30 round mags with 24 in them and change them out ever other month and have never had any problems at all. But I also bought extra of everything so if I ever did have weak springs develop I could be good to go.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Keep spare springs in your part inventory. Enough for 50% of them. Use them reguarly to test them.

I'd keep them close to full and rotate inventory.

·
Alea iacta est, III
587 Posts
the only thing that will be hurt by storing loaded mags is the feedlips and in the case of very long term storage, the brass. Ger some MagPul polymer mags with the covors on them and you are set. The springs are designed knowing there will be a very small amount of loss of tension through normal use. Skyjump136 is correct though, constantly cycling mags will hurt the spring more than not through the constant flexing. That constant flexing in turn causes work hardening which leads to microscopic cracks which gives you your loss of strength. And for Christs sake, DONT stretch the springs, it only compounds the work hardening drasticly cutting short the life of the spring.

I wonder what the military policy is...?
There is no Military policy on this because none is needed ;)

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Bad idea will wear the springs out in the mags,is why you rotate them on your daily carry once a week.
Urban myth.

Springs are weakened by loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/...

The only thing you have to take care are the feed lips...with low quality mags they can widen.

·
1st to go last to know
470 Posts
We have 9 mags for our Rom. Ak, and 2 dracos and 3 of them are loaded with 15rds/30. 4 others are in food saver bags to preserve them and 2 extras on the shelf. but only 3 total are loaded at any time.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
My solution to this is drum mags for an AK. Load drum,unload {unwind} the spring and leave it ready to go. A few turns on the key and you are golden.

·
Everything is fine, relax
263 Posts
Urban myth.

Springs are weakened by loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading/...

The only thing you have to take care are the feed lips...with low quality mags they can widen.
I agree 100%...urban legend...keep them loaded and ready to go !!!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Begs the question. Why do you need a magazine kept loaded in the first place? Truth be told that why I have at least one revolver! I've been told that the spring gives out over time if always under tension. Of course noone ever says what that time is!! My guess its when you'll need it the most. I don't mean to make light of your question. But if your living situation is such that you need access to a loaded weapon consider a revolver then the whole magazine issue is mute. Plus you'll have a weapon handy when the time comes to load your mags.

·
*** Bless America
480 Posts
This, from experience i can agree with this.
Would this apply to shotgun magazine springs as well? Ive been told by gunsmiths its the same for shotguns. I keep the 870 loaded and ready to rack one home. I also have the .357 revolver loaded too, but sometimes its in the car (if i park in the garage.)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Begs the question. Why do you need a magazine kept loaded in the first place? Truth be told that why I have at least one revolver! I've been told that the spring gives out over time if always under tension. Of course noone ever says what that time is!! My guess its when you'll need it the most. I don't mean to make light of your question. But if your living situation is such that you need access to a loaded weapon consider a revolver then the whole magazine issue is mute. Plus you'll have a weapon handy when the time comes to load your mags.
I have a GP-100 ready to go.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts