Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STORE CLOSINGS AND LAYOFFS:

1) Ann Taylor closing 117 stores nationwide A company spokeswoman said the company hasn't revealed which stores will be shuttered. It will let the stores that will close this fiscal year, know over the next month.

2) Eddie Bauer to close more stores Eddie Bauer has already closed 27 shops in the first quarter and plans to close up to two more outlet stores by the end of the year.

3) Cache closing stores Women's retailer Cache announced that it is closing 20 to 23 stores this year.

4) Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, Catherine's closing 150 stores nationwide The owner of retailers Lane Bryant , Fashion Bug , Catherine's Plus Sizes will close about 150 under performing stores this year. The company hasn't provided a list of specific store closures and can't say when it will offer that info, spokeswoman Brooke Perry said today.

5) Talbots, J. Jill closing stores About a month ago, Talbots announced that it will be shuttering all 78 of its kids and men's stores. Now the company says it will close another 22 under performing stores. The 22 stores will be a mix of Talbots women's and J. Jill, another chain it owns. The closures will occur this fiscal year, according to a company press release.

6) Gap Inc. closing 85 stores In addition to its namesake chain, Gap also owns Old Navy and Banana Republic. The company said the closures - all planned for fiscal 2008 - will be weighted toward the Gap brand.

7) Foot Locker to close 140 stores In the company press release and during its conference call with analysts today, it did not specify where the future store closures - all planned in fiscal 2008 - will be. The company could not be immediately reached for comment.

8. Wickes is going out of business Wickes Furniture is going out of business and closing all of its stores. Wickes, a 37-year-old retailer that targets middle-income customers, filed for bankruptcy protection last month.

9) Goodbye Levitz / BOMBAY - closed already This furniture retailer is going out of business. Levitz first announced it was going out of business and closing all 76 of its stores in December. The retailer dates back to 1910 when Richard Levitz opened his first furniture store in Lebanon, PA. In the 1960s, the warehouse/showroom concept brought Levitz to the forefront of the furniture industry. The local Levitz closures will follow the shutdown of Bombay.

10) Zales, Piercing Pagoda closing stores The owner of Zales and Piercing Pagoda previously said it plans to close 82 stores by July 31. Today, it announced that it is closing another 23 under performing stores. The company said it's not providing a list of specific store closures. Of the 105 locations planned for closure, 50 are kiosks and 55 are stores.

11) Disney Store owner has the right to close 98 stores The Walt Disney Company announced it acquired about 220 Disney Stores from subsidiaries of The Children's Place Retail Stores. The exact number of stores acquired will depend on negotiations with landlords. Those subsidiaries of Children's Place filed for bankruptcy protection in late March. Walt Disney in the news release said it has also obtained the right to close about 98 Disney Stores in the U.S. The press release didn't list which stores.

12) Home Depot Nearly 7+ months after its chief executive said there were no plans to cut the number of its core retail stores, The Home Depot Inc. announced Thursday that it is shuttering 15 of them amid a slumping U.S. economy and housing market. The move will affect 1,300 employees. It is the first time the world's largest home improvement store chain has ever closed a flagship store for performance reasons. Its shares rose almost 5 percent. The Atlanta-based company said the under performing U.S. stores being closed represent less than 1 percent of its existing stores. They will be shuttered within the next two months.

13) CompUSA (CLOSED) clarifies details on store closings Any extended warranties purchased for products through CompUSA will be honored by a third-party provider, Assurant Solutions. Gift cards, rain checks, and rebates purchased prior to December 12 can be redeemed at any time during the final sale. For those who have a gadget currently in for service with CompUSA, the repair will be completed and the gadget will be returned to owners.

14) Macy's - 9 stores

15) Movie Gallery - 160 stores as part of reorganization plan to exit bankruptcy. The video rental company plans to close 400 of 3,500 Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video stores in addition to the 520 locations the video rental chain closed last fall.

16) Pacific Sunwear - 153 Demo stores

17) Pep Boys - 33 stores

18) Sprint Nextel - 125 retail locations New Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse appears to have inherited a company bleeding subscribers by the thousands, and will now officially be dropping the ax on 4,000 employees and 125 retail locations. Amid the loss of 639,000 postpaid customers in the fourth quarter, Sprint will be cutting a total of 6.7% of its work force (following the 5,000 layoffs last year) and 8% of company-owned brick-and-mortar stores, while remaining mute on other rumors that it will consolidate its headquarters in Kansas. Sprint Nextel shares are down $2.89, or nearly 25%, at the time of this writing.

19) J. C. Penney, Lowe's and Office Depot are scaling back.

20) Ethan Allen Interiors The company announced plans to close 12 of 300+ stores in an effort to cut costs.

21) Wilsons the Leather Experts - Liquidating 158 stores

22) Pacific Sunwear will close its 154 Demo stores after a review of strategic alternatives for the urban-apparel brand. Seventy-four under performing Demo stores closed last May.

23) Sharper Image The company recently filed for bankruptcy protection and announced that 90 of its 184 stores are closing. The retailer will still operate 94 stores to pay off debts, but 90 of these stores have performed poorly and also may close.

24) Bombay Company The company unveiled plans to close all 384 U.S.-based Bombay Company stores. The company's online storefront has discontinued operations. (Freehold Mall store closed)

25) KB Toys posted a list of 356 stores that it is closing around the United States as part of its bankruptcy reorganization. To see the list of store closings, go to the KB Toys Information web site, and click on Press Information.

26) Dillard's to Close More Stores Dillard's Inc. said it will continue to focus on closing under performing stores, reducing expenses and improving its merchandise in 2008. At the company's annual shareholder meeting, CEO William Dillard II said the company will close another six under performing stores this year.

27) MERVYNS - GONE

28) LINENS AND THINGS - GONE

29) Shoe Pavilion - GONE

30) Circuit City - uninsurable and on its way out.

http://newsblaze.com/story/20081107115408joel.nb/topstory.html

·
Registered
647 Posts
Dang girl , I didnt realize their had been that many lay-offs and closing"s. This is in my opinion still in the early stages too. If it keeps up, wht are they gonna do with all those homless people? Most I know are not more than three months away from losing everything.
I had a discussion with my brother this morning about the situation with the econmy. I have been trying to warn as many people as I can to get better prepped, but most dont listen . The average response is oh it will get better soon. I hate to admit it but I have a 20 year old son that is in college now , and even after growing up with me for a father he is dumb as a rock when it comes to this stuff.
I hope he wises up soon or it will be too late , I think.

·
Vote 3rd party!
900 Posts
I've been trying to stay on top of the current events but I've missed a good share of those.
Where did you get some of that info? I guess I'm missing something on my daily searches..

·
Thread Killer
781 Posts
I'm actually happy to see a few of those names. Not for the loss of jobs that will occur, but because they were the bread and butter for the company that laid me and many others off three weeks before Christmas last year. Karma's a bitch.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not just retail stores, some Holiday Inn's were forced to sell out over the past
month too.

My mother (she's a VP for another hotel chain) found out last Friday that "a
major hotel chain" will be closing down by the end of the year. Needless to
say she couldn't tell me which one but, I have my suspicions.

The summer time gas prices cut deep into the hotel business nationwide.

·
Hermit
100 Posts
Some layoffs in Iowa over the last month....this is just the beginning of whats to come.

Ida Grove Company Lays Off 80 Workers
http://www.kcrg.com/news/business/31165004.html

Amana Lay-Offs Take Effect, Some Fear More..440 jobs
http://www.kcrg.com/news/business/31327429.html

Eastern Iowa Food Processing Plant Laying Off Workers...60 jobs
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/33199259.html

John Deere Dubuque Works Lays Off 50
http://www.kcrg.com/news/business/33602954.html

Layoffs at Yellow Book in Cedar Rapids...220 jobs
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/34039714.html

Layoffs at Rockwell Collins..300 workers
http://www.kcrg.com/news/business/34204504.html

Shenandoah Plant Lays Off 90 Employees
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/34232904.html

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
WOW.

It seems as though here in Southeast Michigan, that I am hearing about a new round of layoffs, every other day.

I was somewhat shocked, as I drove down 8 mile in Detroit, recently. I saw so many former storefronts and businesses vacant and available for lease.

·
high on truck stop coffee
17,729 Posts
Big storm brewing..

Realize that the crash was in 1929. The effects were not fully felt until 1932-1934.

This is only the beggining. You ain't seen nutin yet!

Also this may turn out to be far worse than the great depression.
Sadly,this may be true,if the Big 3 fail to get loans for restructuring and go under,it will directly affect another 10-12% of workers nationwide.Depression will soon follow...I predict the Aisians will be patiently waiting for a firesale and buy up the rest of the country dirt cheap....:(

·
Registered
195 Posts
I know from a personal friend that Trane in Tyler, TX laid off some folks this week. Haven't seen it hit the news yet, but these folks had 20+ years with the company - and are now unemployed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
good bye home depot!

i can only think that in some of these cases the stores have done themselves in, whether via over charging, poor service, or just lack of investment/interest in the actual business itself (instead of the profits/share price).

- home depot: highest prices in town, can't get anyone to help.

- circuit city: high prices, pushy sales people (commission).

- the gap: dammit! now there will only be abercrombie & fitch, american eagle, hollister, american apparel, old navy, ad nauseum for the chachies to shop.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Now we see all these big name companies closing down some stores or going out of business altogether. There are a lot of jobs lost through these closes. A lot of lives affected by these closes.

In my area we have a lot of small operations that the rest of America has never heard of, laying off people or closing down and letting everyone go. These are businesses I deal with and people that I know personally.

When 100 people in my county are laid off it does affect our economy. But when you have a 1000 people layed of in a period of 2 or 3 months it has a devistating affect our our economy.

Some are driving 40-60 miles away to larger cities. But there is no relief there. These cities are experiencing the same problems that we are dealing with too.

We, as Americans, need to stand together and physically work out ways to help our families and friends and neighbors and other Americans in our communities keep it all together. We need to give our strength and aide to our communities to keep them strong and healthy.

Money is not going to be an available comodoty for very much longer, but we can get together with our churches and make clothing available. We can get together and start community gardens and make fresh vegetables and fruits available to our communities. We can get some canning kitchens going and open up some soup kitchens and try to keep our communities from falling into depression and hopelessness.

We can make it a point to make contact with our neighbors to see if they are alright and give them company if they live alone.

If we can keep emotional and mental depression at bay....we, as Americans, might just pull through this time STRONGER, HEALTHIER and A HELL OF A LOT WISER.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
and another one, UTMB Galveston- about 4 thousand layoffs, probably more.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
ya an count those of us in tha gas and oil fields inta that group now,

oil at $50 and gas under $6 --- they are in the process of laying down almost half of the rigs in nat gas fields now.

this industry is a tax bonanza especially for local govts and states.
they are worried about the auto industry? we pay more in taxes than they do,
and that is the big problem for govt. how do ya pay fer all these services - bailouts -
and pork now.

smug as this may sound -- we ARE a lot of local economies.
drilling and the related support industries jobs makes GM-Ford-n-Crysl look like a mom n pop operation

buckle up --- its far from over --- were just fallin off the cliff

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Look for it to get worse and worse with the Democrats controlling Congress and the White House. Again, this is a trickle down effect which is only beginning. The Democrats really have no clue as to what to do to stop this mess. No idea at all. Since they're actually the ones who started this avalanche in the first place and since they have no clue what to do to stop it, I fully expect several things to happen.

#1. This mess will accelerate over the next year to 18 months until it reaches at least a 50% rate of unemployment.

#2. The next group of people who will be seeing layoffs, about the spring of next year, will be local government employees. Federal government employees might see layoffs to some degree as a start for their level but local firemen, policemen and clerks will be the first level of government people to be hurt by this mess.

#3. About the summer of next year look for crime to take a dramatic leap upwards especially in the bigger cities in and near the ghetto areas. Stay out of the bigger cities as much as possible if you can.

#4. Look for food and grocery store chains to start to also fold. When the bigger chains start to go under, that's when you will see food prices jump upwards like launching sky rockets. In fact, I would keep an eye for this particular event to occur as the lead element to actual SHTF scenarios starting up.

Once the food chains start closing down and crime starts to jump upwards, that's really when you may not be safe at home or in your own front yard. When you see crime going up and a lack of food stores, expect home invasions to become common place and make sure that you keep a loaded gun on your person, even as you sleep, and don't let anybody get close to you or behind you.

·
Say no to NWO PLEASE!
1,009 Posts
When you put it that way (you're right, we already knew) it just scares the dickens out of me. I'm in a good bubble right now in Canada, the ****** keep buying our potash:) but I'm not sure how much longer that can last if NA erupts into chaos.

Look for it to get worse and worse with the Democrats controlling Congress and the White House. Again, this is a trickle down effect which is only beginning. The Democrats really have no clue as to what to do to stop this mess. No idea at all. Since they're actually the ones who started this avalanche in the first place and since they have no clue what to do to stop it, I fully expect several things to happen.

#1. This mess will accelerate over the next year to 18 months until it reaches at least a 50% rate of unemployment.

#2. The next group of people who will be seeing layoffs, about the spring of next year, will be local government employees. Federal government employees might see layoffs to some degree as a start for their level but local firemen, policemen and clerks will be the first level of government people to be hurt by this mess.

#3. About the summer of next year look for crime to take a dramatic leap upwards especially in the bigger cities in and near the ghetto areas. Stay out of the bigger cities as much as possible if you can.

#4. Look for food and grocery store chains to start to also fold. When the bigger chains start to go under, that's when you will see food prices jump upwards like launching sky rockets. In fact, I would keep an eye for this particular event to occur as the lead element to actual SHTF scenarios starting up.

Once the food chains start closing down and crime starts to jump upwards, that's really when you may not be safe at home or in your own front yard. When you see crime going up and a lack of food stores, expect home invasions to become common place and make sure that you keep a loaded gun on your person, even as you sleep, and don't let anybody get close to you or behind you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts