Survivalist Forum banner

Store brand “ SPAM “ from Aldi

2144 61
My local Aldi is selling Brookdale Farms canned lunch meat for $1.96 per can. A lot of Aldi food is labeled made in China and I will not eat it. This stuff is labeled Made in Denmark. Given that I can buy 2 cans of this for 1 can of Spam, I bought some. I think it tastes great. My wife thought it was a little greasy.

Made up some homemade split pea soup with this generic “Spam” and it is to die for. I now have a cheaper alternative to Spam that is not made in China.

FYI
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Jackpine Savage
8,473 Posts
I prefer stocking 12 oz canned hams to Spam. It's also all pork, and gelatin is nutritionally superior to starch and water. Lower fat, but there's lots of lard in my cupboard. If you prefer Spam, though, stick to the classic formula.

FWIW, though, the only flavors of Spam which still contain just pork shoulder/ham (although now with added starch filler), versus those cut with mechanically processed chicken goo, are Spam Classic (not Lite or Less Sodium), Spam with Bacon, Spam Jalapeno, and Spam Tocino. If the others seem mushy to you, it's that mechanically processed chicken, which is partially disguised by the added flavorings. Spam Oven Roasted Turkey is at least honestly labeled: it is all turkey, no pork.

Treet is mostly mechanically separated chicken with some pork added plus a lot of chemical flavoring.

Spam Varieties (always read the label, folks)

Spam Classic Ingredients:
Pork with Ham, Salt, Water, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite

Treet Ingredients:
MECHANICALLY SEPARATED CHICKEN, WATER, PORK, SALT, SUGAR, CORN SYRUP. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MODIFIED CORN STARCH, BROWN SUGAR, HYDROLYZED CORN, SOY AND WHEAT GLUTEN PROTEINS, CANOLA OIL, SMOKE FLAVORED BARLEY MALT FLOUR, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE, NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM NITRITE, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE.

Great Value Original Luncheon Meat Ingredients:
Pork, Salt, Water, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite.
Both it and Spam claim to have 16 g fat per 2 oz serving, but GV may use leaner pork scraps and add lard separately, and it makes no mention of ham as an ingredient.

Brookdale Luncheon Meat (Aldi):
Ingredients: Pork, Salt, Water, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite.
(again, cuts of pork used are not specified, and ham is not listed.)

Celebrity Pork Luncheon Meat (Dollar Tree):
Pork, Mechanically Separated Chicken, Salt. Less Than 2%: Water, Natural Flavoring, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Erythorbate.
(That chicken goo again)

OTOH, Celebrity Canned Ham is quite decent.
Celebrity Cooked Ham with Natural Juices (Walgreens)
Ingredients: Ham, Water, Salt, Gelatin, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Sodium Nitrite

You get what you pay for; read the labels. Mechanically processed chicken is both cheap and disgusting, and all cuts of pork are not created equal.
This excellent post by @NY Min shows that the Brookdale isn't loaded with junk so I can see why it's good. I'll be looking into it next time I'm in an Aldi since Spam no longer goes on sale.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
The Aldi spam is not bad. It is the spam that I have stocked for many years. It is a great value. Consider that it is a pound of pork protein already cooked and stored in a can for only $2! I don't eat it often. It is more of a shtf protein source. But, when it comes time to rotate old stock, I have to eat it, give it away, or throw it away. Usually, fried and made into a sandwich, but it also tastes good chipped into scrambled eggs, or fried rice. My preference would be Turkey Spam. A much leaner source of protein. However, it is also much more expensive at the local Wally World.

· KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
12,047 Posts
The Aldi spam is not bad. It is the spam that I have stocked for many years. It is a great value. Consider that it is a pound of pork protein already cooked and stored in a can for only $2! I don't eat it often. It is more of a shtf protein source. But, when it comes time to rotate old stock, I have to eat it, give it away, or throw it away. Usually, fried and made into a sandwich, but it also tastes good chipped into scrambled eggs, or fried rice. My preference would be Turkey Spam. A much leaner source of protein. However, it is also much more expensive at the local Wally World.
I haven’t checked at ALDI’s..Spam and stuff like Treet comes in 12 oz cans..a lb for 2 bucks is a darn good price..Sunday at Aldi’s doesn’t sound bad after all👍

· Registered
4,032 Posts
I really like Spam. I have looked for the Aldi version but they are always out. I will check again and pick some up if they have any. I quit buying Spam brand Spam. I can't justify the cost. I like the canned hams mentioned earlier. I have around 10 on the shelf. Spam has gotten so lean it doesn't seem to fry up well. I still have cans of it left. When I cook it I get a dab of bacon fat I have in a tub and add to the skillet. That seems to help. And the flavor is right.

· Registered
552 Posts
We opened a can of SPAM, Treet, Great Value (Wally World) and Brookdale (Aldi).

Had SPAM stocked, bought one each of others.

Sitting on paper plates, could not tell them apart by looks. Fried a slice of each.
Brookdale tasted best. Narrowly beating out the Great Value and almost identical SPAM.
Treet was edible, but seemed greasing.

Stocked up on the Brookdale.

· Premium Member
2,231 Posts
My local Aldi is selling Brookdale Farms canned lunch meat for $1.96 per can. A lot of Aldi food is labeled made in China and I will not eat it. This stuff is labeled Made in Denmark. Given that I can buy 2 cans of this for 1 can of Spam, I bought some. I think it tastes great. My wife thought it was a little greasy.

Made up some homemade split pea soup with this generic “Spam” and it is to die for. I now have a cheaper alternative to Spam that is not made in China.

FYI
AGREED !

And I say that those who have never eaten Spam in any version are those that have never been HUNGRY !.

And I dare anyone to say they are a vegetarian or vegan and still a prepper.

If you want & plan to survive ANY situation that could hit the supply chain,you need to eat WHATEVER YOU CAN TO THRIVE & SURVIVE ON !.

· Registered
1,097 Posts

FYI
well since I am from Denmark, I can tell you we have ultra strict rules for companies making food, way stricter than the US, you should be safe... and I agree, stay away from ***** Crapola... It's more likely to kill you than nourish you

· Registered
4,032 Posts
Sitting on paper plates, could not tell them apart by looks. Fried a slice of each.
Brookdale tasted best. Narrowly beating out the Great Value and almost identical SPAM.
I have had Treet before and didn't really like it. After I finished the last can I decided I wouldn't buy anymore of it. I saw WM Spam was just over $2 when I was in there last. Thats good enough. I can buy that and be happy. I still prefer the canned hams like Bristol and Dak. They are also a full 16oz.

I like to put those in a foil lined pan, add a little water and then split the top about half way down and fill the splits with brown sugar. I haven't done it but you can also add pineapple chunks over it. Then bake in the oven until done. Add some canned vegetables like corn and beans and you have a good tasting simple meal.

I also like the bigger canned hams but those have to be kept in the refrigerator. Those are a little bigger at 3lbs.

· Registered
7,039 Posts
I've got some Aldi's mixed in with the spam stash. It's OK, surpasses most of the other cheaper brands (Dollar Tree... Eck)
Haven't purchased much of it as when I hit Aldi's for butter, cream cheese, cheese, and canned goods, I'm most always full up on the regular Spam.

· Registered
4,032 Posts
I just went to Aldi and got two cans of Aldi Spam and one can of the canned hams. I wanted some of their butter but it has gone up to $4 a pound. Not a bargain anymore. Looking around the store I didn't see anything I could call a bargain anywhere.

· Jackpine Savage
8,473 Posts
We opened a can of SPAM, Treet, Great Value (Wally World) and Brookdale (Aldi).

Had SPAM stocked, bought one each of others.

Stocked up on the Brookdale.
You really couldn't see the difference? Come on. That's like saying that there isn't a texture difference between Spam and Treet. Actually I could handle the flavor better than that texture difference.

· Registered
552 Posts
I just went to Aldi and got two cans of Aldi Spam and one can of the canned hams. I wanted some of their butter but it has gone up to $4 a pound. Not a bargain anymore. Looking around the store I didn't see anything I could call a bargain anywhere.
We were at our local Country Mart, an employee was stocking SPAM, I asked where the Dak canned hams were?
She looks at me funny, "we don't sell ham in a can."
I say, "ham in a triangular can, about 1 pound, ready to eat."
She shakes her head, "I have no idea what you are talking about."
Butcher came walking by, she asked him. He laughed, "I haven't seen those since I was in grade school."

· Registered
7,039 Posts
We stock a lot of the canned hams. Not much difference between the various brands.

Reactions: Aceoky and MTShawn

· Forum Administrator
8,100 Posts
AGREED !

And I say that those who have never eaten Spam in any version are those that have never been HUNGRY !.

And I dare anyone to say they are a vegetarian or vegan and still a prepper.

If you want & plan to survive ANY situation that could hit the supply chain,you need to eat WHATEVER YOU CAN TO THRIVE & SURVIVE ON !.
Spam is no longer cost effective and has not been for quite some time. Modern preppers can do more with less.
The only reason why Spam may make sense is if you like the stuff, want the convenience of 'stock and forget' or using it as a viable means to store fats long term. Or a combo of all three. It is not cheap by any standard anymore.

I freeze dried pork chops for less per ounce.

· Forum Administrator
8,100 Posts
Small grocery stores, based in.......ah.....forget the country now.
German store. We shopped their 30 years ago when we lived there. Great model for a store. It filled niche that we didn't previously have here.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts