Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a list of things you shouldnt store together.The last thing we want in a STHF situation is poisonus gasses or fires in our safehavens. Be cautious with all chemicals and thier storage ... read whats inside them so you dont make a bad situation worse. Use proper storage facalities and containers and NEVER :headshake: mix them. You seriously could kill yourself. I nearly made the mistake of storing some items next to another that could have potentially started a fire. I didnt even realize it untill I came across this list :eek: (I know NOTHING about chemicals) and read what was in some of the bottles of bug spray, cleaning supplies ect. Needless to say it is rectified now and I purchased proper storage containers. I hope you all do the same. :thumb:

Incompatibles.
Aconite: Alkalies, alkaline earths and their carbonates; vegetable astringents, lime water.
Alcohol: With strychnine.
Belladonna: Alkalies, tannin, vegetable astringents, opium, gelsemium.
Bromides: Such agents as stimulate the vaso-motor nerves, as digitalis, ergot, belladonna, etc., are incompatible with the bromides.
Codeine: With chloral hydrate.
Cocaine: With morphine.
Carbolic Acid: With chloral hydrate.
Colchicum: Acid renders the vinous tincture drastic; alkalies render it milder in its operation.
Conium: Strong acids, alkalies, tannin, etc.
Digitalis: Salts of iron and lead, tannin, vegetable astringents.
Gelsemium: Opium, belladonna or its alkaloid atropine.
Hyoscyamus: Acetate of lead, nitrate of silver, sulphate of iron, tannin and vegetable astringents.
Infusions: With metallic salts.
Infusions and Bitter Tinctures: With metallic salts of iron or lead.
Iron: Should not be given with medicine or anything containing tannic acid.
Oils, Essential and Fixed: With aqueous liquids.
Opium: Alkalies, alkaline earths and carbonates, nitrate of silver, salts of copper, iron, zinc and lead, tannin and gallic acid.
Pepsin: Alkalies, alcohol, tinctures.
Stramonium: Caustic, fixed alkalies or soda and potash.
Strychnine: Alcohol, chloral, hydrocyanic acid, nicotine.
Vegetable Preparations: That contain tannic acid are incompatible with salts of iron and lead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chemical Incompatibles.
Acids: In general with alkalies and weak salts of other acids.
Acid Chromic: Mixed with sugar, glycerine or other alcohol producing agents will explode.
Acid Hydrochloric: With alkalies and weak salts of other acids.
Acid Hydrocyanic: With salts of iron, chlorides, nitrates, sulphates. Mixed with metallic salts such as __ as well as carbonates, hydrates, nitrate of bismuth or calomel is poisonous.
Acid Nitric: Mixed with phosphorus or glycerine will explode and is dangerous. Nitric acid, muriatic acid and tinct. nux vomica explode after a few hours.
Acid Nitro-Hydrochloric: Mixed with dry organic substances may explode.
Acid Salicylic: Iron and its compounds, lime water, iodide of potassium.
Acid Tannic: With glycerine, chlorate of potassium, will explode on addition of water.
Acacia Gum: Alcohol, borax, ether and etheral tinctures. Iron, mineral acids and solution of lead.
Albumen and gelatine and substances containing them are incompatible with tannic acid, or anything containing it.
Arsenic: Tannic acid, magnesia, lime salts and oxides of iron.
Bismuth Subnitrate: Mercury, sulphur, tannin.
Camphor: With water,
Chlorates: With glycerine and tincture of chloride of iron and chloride of lime triturated with sulphur in a mortar have produced explosions.
Chloride of Iron: With glycerine and chlorate of potassium if warmed will explode.
Chloral Hydrate: Ammonia, alkalies, mercury compounds, alcohol, potassium bromides and cyanides.
Chlorides: Hydrogen peroxide, lead and silver salts.
Chloroform: Amyl nitrite.
Hydrogen Peroxide: Alkaline citrates.
Iodine Tincture: With ammonia forms the iodide of nitrogen which becomes highly explosive, especially if triturated when mixed with water.
Iron Salts: With anything that contains tannic acid.
Mucilage: With iron salts, alcohol and acids.
Morphia Muriate: Added to the oxide of silver is explosive if it be mixed quickly with extract of gentian, but if mixed slowly it is more safe.
Oxidizers: Such as chromic acid, nitric acid, hydrochloric acid, chloral, potassium nitrate, potassium permanganate, etc., mixed with the readily oxidizable substances, such as oils, phosphorus, ether, turpentine, dry organic substances, tannin, sugar, sulphur, the sulphites, vegetable powders, glycerine, alcoholic or ethereal tinctures result in explosions.
Potassium Chlorate: To mix with other salts is dangerous. Mixed with powdered catechu or powdered nut galls it will explode. Mixed with oils and ether it will explode. With alcohol, ammonia, ethereal oils, glycerine and organic substances is dangerous.
Potassium Permanganate: Mixed with alcohol, ammonium salts, ethereal oils, glycerine and organic substances is dangerous.
Potassium Cyanide: Mixed with metallic salts, such as hydrates, carbonates, subnitrates or subchlorides, as, the carbonates or nitrates of bismuth, or with calomel, is poisonous.
Potassium Iodide: Very strong acids and salts of same, alkaloids, iron, potassium chlorate, nitrate of silver, mercurial salts. Mixed with chlorate of potassium it is very poisonous.
Silver Nitrate: With acids (with exception of nitric acid) alkalies, bromides, carbonates, iodides, sulphur.
Sodium Biborate: Sodium bicarbonate, glycerine and water, if corked, are liable to explode.
Sodium Bicarbonate: With acids and their salts, alkaloids, metallic salts, tannic acid.
Sodium Bromide: Mineral acids, mercury and its compounds, chlorine water.
Sodium Hyphophosphite with potassium chlorate is explosive if water is added.
Uva Ursi Fluid Extract: With certain samples of the spirits of nitre or chromic acid with glycerine, permanganate of potassium with glycerine, nitric acid with glycerine, nitrate of silver with creosote, the oxide of silver in pill with extract of gentian, potassium.

found on http://www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/petersen/incompatible.html

NO RECIPIES PLEASE !!This is for safe storage of chemicals only .... if I missed something I will be happy to add it
Bump if you find useful so others may stay safe as well :thumb:

·
Banned
61 Posts
typically the lord watches out for us. even those of us who keep these sorts of things on our shelves (like tim mcvey). even shaving cream and h30 can be deadly. if it's your time it's your time. please don't advocate use of harmful chemicals.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
typically the lord watches out for us. even those of us who keep these sorts of things on our shelves (like tim mcvey). even shaving cream and h30 can be deadly. if it's your time it's your time. please don't advocate use of harmful chemicals.
No advocation of the use of harmful chemicals here. If you mix things that you shouldnt your an idiot and deserve to have less fingers. I had some pool cleaner next to ... well I wont say but I could have burned my house down. I would have never known it untill I read that list. I rely on God often ... but God gave me a brain to make sure I dont do something stupid. I just know I know nothing about chemicals and im sure many others are out there like me, whom when they read this list may possibly have things detremental to thier health stored closely to each other. A survivalist stores things ... and it is thier responsibility to make sure they arent putting themselves or others in danger. This is simple science stuff ... I think you could probably find it in a highschool science book.

·
Banned
61 Posts
No advocation of harmful chemicals here. If you mix things that you shouldnt your an idiot and deserve to have less fingers. I had some pool cleaner next to ... well I wont say but I could have burned my house down. I would have never known it untill I read that list. I rely on God often ... but God gave me a brain to make sure I dont do something stupid.
But who made those chemicals in the first place? They were provided to us by the providence of God himself. Had God or Jesus wanted your house to burn down, it would have. End of the story. It was his will that it not burn down, fortunately for you.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But who made those chemicals in the first place? They were provided to us by the providence of God himself. Had God or Jesus wanted your house to burn down, it would have. End of the story. It was his will that it not burn down, fortunately for you.
Agreed ... but as God gave us the knowedge to create these things, He also gave us the knowledge to safely use them and store them. Yes if it is my time it is my time ... but that dosent mean I look down the barrel of a gun to make sure its not loaded.:D:

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
Okay, nice list. But what is it good for?

As a chemistry student, I can tell you that at least a few of those combinations aren't great for you health, believe me.

But WTF? When you store chemicals, why would you store them together? Something like: 'oh hey, I haven't got enough jars, lets put the cyanide and the hydrochloric acid in one jar, that will save me a jar'????

Oh my favorite:
Potassium Cyanide: Mixed with metallic salts, such as hydrates, carbonates, subnitrates or subchlorides, as, the carbonates or nitrates of bismuth, or with calomel, is poisonous.
O really? And if you don't mix the potassium cyanide, is it then safe?

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay, nice list. But what is it good for?

As a chemistry student, I can tell you that at least a few of those combinations aren't great for you health, believe me.

But WTF? When you store chemicals, why would you store them together? Something like: 'oh hey, I haven't got enough jars, lets put the cyanide and the hydrochloric acid in one jar, that will save me a jar'????

Oh my favorite:

O really? And if you don't mix the potassium cyanide, is it then safe?
No no no ..... its an all in one list. I didnt make it. I pasted it and gave the sight where I got it from. Unlike you MOST of us ARENT chemistry students. We have no idea ... hence the list. I have more things in this list than I thought that contain some of these ingrediants ... others may have different stuff than I . What if stuff IS in glass jars together and your sweet overgrown pup knocks it over and they break ... all of a sudden you have more than a mess on your hands. My example ... I had pool cleaner and brake fluid in a jar from bleeding my brakes sitting next to each other ... I had no idea what would happen untill I read this list. It was a potential disaster that I would have never known about. I have only so much storage so there are ALOT of other things in my basement than survival gear. Im sure others have stuff that you and I would never know the purpose of unless we were told.

This is not a recipie .... it is something that could have easily happened to me. I regret I have to say what it was and I have to show this ... but I show this because this is the point of the thread. DO NOT REPLICATE !!! How many of you in your garage have pool cleaner ... brake fluid.... mine were downstairs on a shelf ..... next to each other...and I have a big stupid dog that likes to play ... :rolleyes:

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
I'm in the chemical business, and the first advice I can give is : "Take others advice with a grain of salt."
That being said I have 10 yrs experience with institutional/industrial grade cleaning products.
1. Never mix anything with chlorine bleach. There is a long list of liquids and solids that make it unstable and produces chlorine gas= hack cough=burnt lungs.
2. Remember your pH scale from high school science. 0 to 14 with 7 being neutral.
0 to 4.5 is very acidic, and 10 to 14 very alkili. Your skin has a pH of 6.5 slightly acidic.
So anything at either end of the scale will harm you.
3. If you get something on your skin, rinse,rinse, rinse and then rinse again.
4. All manufacturers lable their product with emergency info. There will be number that you can call to get an MSDS(material saftey data sheet). I advise you to do this for chemicalss in your home or something you are curious about. These sheets will give you all pertenant info regarding, safe use disposal,fire info and emergency prcedures for spills and first aid.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The original list is a wee bit out of date: 1905. Many of those chemicals are no longer in people's homes due to their regulation or not being used for much any more [anybody here got opium? or strychnine or even know stramonium is?].

However, it does pay to read the label and store as indicated.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL Browser ... I know its 1905 ... but the reactions of certain things havent changed over time. I just happened to be looking at that website when I stumbled upon it...Opium? well actually in Afganistan while on patrol... LOL!! I wont go there. I guess you never know what you'll run into in that big nasty world. And many things outside these borders arent so strictly regulated as they are here...

"However, it does pay to read the label and store as indicated."
I agree TOTALLY! But that brake fluid never said a thing (in a jar) LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.