Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running into a problem, how to store all the toothpaste, soap, D.O., all the things that keep us clean. Am I buying the wrong items? (Bar soap, tube toothpaste, bottle shampoo)

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Soap, toothpaste, TP. Really, that's all I'd bother with.

Deoderant doesn't keep you clean, it just covers up the smell. Shampoo? I don't use it, I keep my hair short and wash it with soap. Soap is good enough for body hair, why isn't it good enough for my head hair?

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I store them up in the attic. That helps clear up space.
Some people say that they dump all of their shampoo bottles into a larger gallon bottle (like an empty bottle vinegar came in) to save space.

For me, I find just a real little bit of shampoo works fine. My hair isn't short short (like a buzz cut) but it is pretty short. I tried dumping the shampoo before into a larger pump container, and I found that I tended to use more that way than just sticking with the little bottles, so I leave mine as is. Plus, the bottles could be useful for bartering, or even for storing stuff in.

While deodorant doesn't keep you clean, it sure makes me feel better. (***** Roberts, don't take any offense at this): I know in many places in the world wearing deodorant isn't that common, and I'm sure that I could learn to adjust, but I stock it just the same, though not nearly as much as I do soap, toothpaste, and toilet paper. I guess I view it more as a comfort thing.

You could get a white bucket and lid from Wal-mart ($4 total, in the paint section) and fill it with shampoo bottles, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc. Get it jam-packed and then just put it in an out of the way place. I'm not entirely sure if toothpaste would be affected by the high temperatures of an attic, but I know soap and shampoo are not.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wife and I got some empty copier paper boxes from Office Depot...just label them as "Non LTFS" and throw/stack whatever you want to store in them...:thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
361 Posts
american Military Ammo cans, they come in all shapes and sizes, and you should be able to find some locally, they will last a couple of life times and when empty, they have 1000's of uses. Any plastic over time will fail, add sunshine and they fail quicker, steel ammo cans if taken care of will last, plus most are or can be made to be waterproof, easy to carry, stackable.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Storage for personal needs

I have about 8" behind my walk in closet door. I stacked 3 shoe organizer shelves behind the door and my husband bolted them to the wall so they would not fall over. Two have shelves and on of them have the cube slots. I have toothpaste, extra brushes and floss on one long shelf stacked to the max.

I have deoderand on one shelf

I took shampoo and made sure lids were secure and stacked them on the side.

I have a hair shelf with hair brushes, combs, hair bands, conditioner, hair color, etc.

I have hand sanitizer, alcohol, and misc. items on a shelf.

I have feminie products stacked next to the shelfes.

One cube is full of chap stick.. and so on

I have the large soap packs like you get at Costco behind the door of my husbands closet. Four of those large packs are stacked neatly with odd packs on top. I was able to get it quite high without falling over. Plenty for a very very long time.

My TP is all stored in the bathtub of an extra guest bath that we rarely ever use.

My extra makeup, nail products, and items like that are in plastic boxes stacked in with my shoes.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Soap: Dr Bronners, biodegradable, used as a shampoo, body wash, dish wash, clothing wash, if you need it clean, Dr B's does it! Been in business 60 years, I have been using it since the early 70's...IT WORKS!

Toothpaste: 1, you are using TOO MUCH. I get the big tube size and it takes me a year or more to go thru it. Dr Bronners can be used for a toothpaste. 2, You are gonna need Baking Soda it has hundreds of uses, I used it as tooth paste growing up and its in many toothpaste formals now. Get it in 10 lb boxes at Sam's/Costco.

DO: As stated, its ONLY a coverup, its does nothing. For most folks if you ill STOP using the junk your body will restore its balance and you will no longer smell. I have not used it in over 20 years and I used to wear a suit and tie in Texas heat every day, no problems. Wash with Dr Bronners to CLEAN the bacteria out of your pits and you no longer stink.

Shampoo: I use Dr B on occasions, but its does strip the oil out of hair and you need to use a conditioner if you do. So I used some of the several natural based products such as the ones made from Soap Nut trees.

Get the chemicals and junk out of your life most of the stuff is a post WWII marketing scam to make money, you need very little of it.

·
knowledge is power
168 Posts
I have about 8" behind my walk in closet door. I stacked 3 shoe organizer shelves behind the door and my husband bolted them to the wall so they would not fall over. Two have shelves and on of them have the cube slots. I have toothpaste, extra brushes and floss on one long shelf stacked to the max.

I have a hair shelf with hair brushes, combs, hair bands, conditioner, hair color, etc.

I have the large soap packs like you get at Costco behind the door of my husbands closet. Four of those large packs are stacked neatly with odd packs on top. I was able to get it quite high without falling over. Plenty for a very very long time.

My TP is all stored in the bathtub of an extra guest bath that we rarely ever use.

My extra makeup, nail products, and items like that are in plastic boxes stacked in with my shoes.
Girl, you are one ready betty. That sounds like a fantastic setup. I would expect no less from a fellow Alabamian! Lol good job Tmom!

·
When all else fails......
2,503 Posts
I noticed that no one on here mentioned the one IMPORTANT thing on hygiene items. Smell!!! In a survival situation you DO NOT want anything that has a smell or fragrance. It is a dead giveaway. Once you are in an environment away from the norm, your primal senses start to kick in. You begin to smell the sir around you, hear the sounds you never gave yourself time to hear and see things you never paid attention to before. In-tune to the land all around you. Now wearing a fragrance, even the slightest, will tell a bear a mile away you are there. So will it be for raiders to smell you. Game over.

·
When all else fails......
2,503 Posts

Why would you need extra makeup and nail products? If you are a survivalist then that is not a necessity. Think your priorities over again.

Reactions: 2togo

·
Registered
334 Posts
Why would you need extra makeup and nail products? If you are a survivalist then that is not a necessity. Think your priorities over again.
hair color for shtf?????????????

Okay, in an EOTWAWKI situation, yes, hair dye and nail polish are of little importance. But we don't prep for just SHTF. If we lost jobs, or if prices shot sky-high, I would love having something set aside to help me feel like a girl once in a while. Not to mention the tried and true idea of keeping extra so you dont have to run to the store to get some for that last-minute date! True, mass quantities are ridiculous, but a 6-month supply? Perfectly within reason!

·
Old Hounds Smell Good
1,077 Posts
Good thread.

Deodorant vs antiperspirant: Deo is for smell. AntiP is for sweat which controls smell. It is a myth that not using it will restore some sort of non-smell. I had to share a lab with Russians who'd never used it. I finally had to buy some for them and explain it so I could use my lab. It seems like there is no smell to the person who is stinking because they get used to it, that's all. And many times it is the smell that cues us in that our kids need to start using it.

That smell is natural, but it is unpleasant to most people and it carries a very long distance and cues others into your presence. The chemistry of sweat will also cause fabrics to break down faster. You don't want your t-shirts wearing out at the pits and stink on top of it, imho. A fragrance free antiP is a good thing to stock for most folks.

The actual usable shelf life of most solid AntiP is really about 5 years and no more. Stocking must be done with that in mind in order to not waste money.

I have a pretty huge stock of personal items, but rotation is probably the hardest with those things because of the widely varying shelf life.

Baking soda is a must also. I agree with another poster on that. Short shelf life though. It is still cheap though and you can use the expired ones to clean out and refresh your drains.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
How about storage under your sink in the bathroom....?.... I have been able to store roughly 20 boxes of toothpaste (I leave it in the box for stacking purposes), maybe 80 bars of soap (in boxes also), 60 or so deodorant, and other assorted goodies in the bathroom...........

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,561 Posts
I find myself using odd bits of space here and there for things like that. Under the bed, above closet shelves, behind the couch, etc. They say space isn't something you find, it's something you make.

I use my attic for paper goods and things that aren't heat sensitive. TP, books, extra clothes, etc. If this place ever goes up in flames, they'll be able to see it from space and it'll smolder for weeks! :D:

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Good thread.

Deodorant vs antiperspirant: Deo is for smell. AntiP is for sweat which controls smell. It is a myth that not using it will restore some sort of non-smell. I had to share a lab with Russians who'd never used it. I finally had to buy some for them and explain it so I could use my lab. It seems like there is no smell to the person who is stinking because they get used to it, that's all. And many times it is the smell that cues us in that our kids need to start using it.

That smell is natural, but it is unpleasant to most people and it carries a very long distance and cues others into your presence. The chemistry of sweat will also cause fabrics to break down faster. You don't want your t-shirts wearing out at the pits and stink on top of it, imho. A fragrance free antiP is a good thing to stock for most folks.
Christy, I have see it differently. I did not known anyone but the newbies in Vietnam that smelled.

I have been many years sans ant-per or deord. My wife is now off the stuff and I know quite a few folks off the stuff.

If anti per is of concern then you can use a natural stone, I have one it came from Thailand if IIRC. And trust me, as a consultant to Fortune 500 corps, wearing a suit and tie every day, often a Corp HQ where NO ONE took off a suit jacket, if I had smelled I would not have had a job very long. In those situations I used the natural stone.

I am a VERY heavy sweater and soak my clothes, boots quickly, if I had an issue by now someone would have said something, especially when I was in the Army, those guys don't pull punches.

Maybe its because I take 2 showers a day, every day, dunno but it works for me and a lot of folks I know.

Russians. Not known for taking a lot of showers.

While this is no myth, your experience as an individual may vary...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Maybe now that you take two showers, you don't need it. I have known a number of people who don't use deodorant and tell everyone they don't smell bad. Guess what they do, they just can't smell it in themselves and most people are too nice to tell them otherwise. Have you ever been near a Russian's jacket? :D: I lived in Europe for 4 years, Russians are not the only ones.:D: I agree people shouldn't use deodorants or soap that have strong smells that tells everyone they are coming. It's almost as bad. Well maybe not quite.:rolleyes:
Hey, I don't want to offend anyone, Americans can stink also.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Taking two showers a day is the key. If I shower before bed and don't put anything on I don't smell by morning but if I forget to before going to work then I smell it, but if you take that second shower then your fine. But in an end of the world you might not be able to spare that much water.
I tried the all natural organic stuff and it made me itch, finally settled on unscented sure, I stick up a few at a time when they go on sale.
I keep a packed toiletry kit in my closet so if we had to leave I can just grab it and go, has my razor, toothpaste , toothbrush, deodorant, etc and small bottles I refill of shampoo, soap, etc I can last a week or more out of it before the soaps run out (5-7 showers) and the rest like toothpaste will go over a month. When I run out of one in the bathroom I get the one from my kit and put a new one in the kit so its always ready to go.
I then keep a copier paper box in the top of my closet with anything that personal to just me, another in the hall closet with shared items etc. Those I buy and rotate stuff out. I measured halfway between the shelf in the top of my closet and the ceiling and put another shelf there. I have those boxes of stock, some books, and my ammo cases there.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Maybe now that you take two showers, you don't need it. I have known a number of people who don't use deodorant and tell everyone they don't smell bad. Guess what they do, they just can't smell it in themselves and most people are too nice to tell them otherwise. Have you ever been near a Russian's jacket? :D: I lived in Europe for 4 years, Russians are not the only ones.:D: I agree people shouldn't use deodorants or soap that have strong smells that tells everyone they are coming. It's almost as bad. Well maybe not quite.:rolleyes:
Hey, I don't want to offend anyone, Americans can stink also.
That is like saying we don't smell our own chit...sorry it does not go that way. I would say that over 20 years somebody would have said something...YOU THINK?

Over that time I was a single guy and STINK would have jeopardized my lifestyle and trust me I had a good lifestyle.

Having lived in Europe 3 times now and spending a lot of time over there now. We are over a month or two every year, have a home over there I know what you mean. But that is a different lifestyle, lots of women do not shave arms/legs, bathing every day is not how its done. Many do smell but again I think it comes down to cleanliness. We know a lot of folks over there, some do, many don't.

As I said, your mileage may vary...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts