Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is the best way of storing an AR or AK that is not in frequent use whether in your safe or even long-term in a cache of some sort?

I'm not talking about lube and cosmoline for rust issues. I'm thinking more about internal springs taking a "set"......something you might worry about with magazines as well.

As with an AR that has a bazillion springs, maybe having the trigger pulled with the hammer up? Ejection port cover open?

......or am I just being a little too paranoid about my springs?

Same for AK's, but obviously, the AK has alot less going on as far as this internal springs issue is concerned......

·
User Title
2,264 Posts
I wouldn’t be so concerned with the springs. And a “prepper” should have an extra set (along with a BCG and firing pin) of them anyway. They are cheap insurance. DPMS offers spring and “repair” kits for not much money.

Leave the mags unloaded.

In regards to the “elements” you can beat a Pelican case. You can bury that sucker and come back 10yrs later if you need too.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Throw the AK's in the mud. Throw the AR's in the trash. :D: LOL

I have been around AK's that have been locked, cocked, with fully loaded mags; that have been sitting there for years. They have had no problems. I cant say too much about AR's because luckily I come from a family that believes in having "real" guns. :) The only AR's i have been around was during my time in the military and when i was selling them at gun stores.

Both are still excellent weapons systems, so in all actuality you should never have a problem with them either way. The only enemies they have is rust, like you said, and politicians being the other. :thumb:

·
Banned
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Throw the AK's in the mud. Throw the AR's in the trash. :D: LOL

I have been around AK's that have been locked, cocked, with fully loaded mags; that have been sitting there for years. They have had no problems. I cant say too much about AR's because luckily I come from a family that believes in having "real" guns. :) The only AR's i have been around was during my time in the military and when i was selling them at gun stores.

Both are still excellent weapons systems, so in all actuality you should never have a problem with them either way. The only enemies they have is rust, like you said, and politicians being the other. :thumb:
Oh, I'm not going to disagree you have alot less to worry about with an AK than an AR....

....but I do love the AR platform (and actually prefer it over the AK) and it works great for me. It just drives me NUTS the amount of springs there are on an AR. I've never had any issues with springs on an AR whether inside or outside the military and I have abused quite a few AR's in my day.....the only spring issue I have run into is a loose/broken spring on the dust cover.......

...but it always sits on my mind. I do have plenty of extra parts/springs for my AR preps.

TBH, I'm looking for something along the lines of an ACR in 5.56, but after the ACR came out, I was sorely disappointed with it. The XCR can take a walk. And I don't just want some piston system installed on an AR....

..I really like the SCAR-16s, but it's got it's flaws as well and I'm not dropping that kind of $$$ on a dolled-up AR.

I'd really like to get myself an Arsenal SGL-21. But my preps are always going to have the AR-type platform in 5.56 at the forefront.

Yes, I know about 5.56 AK's, but I think we can all agree that's just WRONG no matter what side of the fence you're on.......:D:

I think that violates some sort of universal constant......only doom and gloom await those who have an AK in 5.56......

·
FBHO
1,279 Posts
hehe if you want to treat it "nice" oil the hell out of the AK stuff it in a garbage bag and bury it in the ground for 5years.

I would unload the mag just to keep the ammo dry and be nice to the spring though.

I've contemplating doing just that if I have to head to the BOL and i'm afraid the AK I keep at the house would draw unecessary attention from authoritys, I could always come back for it ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I clean and oil the weapon well, followed by releasing the trigger.

I then I wrap it in inexpensive cheesecloth (thick paper would work too). It keeps them covered, but still allows them to breath.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,575 Posts
The springs won't take a set from storage. No worries. That's why 100-150 year old guns still work.

About the only real issue is rust. A little RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) and they're good to go for many years. Even CorrosionX oil will cling and not dry out, giving years of protection. It's my favorite protectant for guns that are put back for a few years. With RIG as my substitute for cosmoline (easier to clean) for guns put away for longer term.

·
Banned
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in the armory onboard the ship we'd place them in fire and drop the hammer.
Yeah...

...that's what I usually do....just wondering if there were any special "tricks" that I haven't seen or picked up over the years....with all my personal experience, I am always amazed at how many folks I can still learn from....

....I realize there's really not much more to really worry about but that's just my prepper paranoia kicking in......;)

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Yep, if you like ugly rifles and don't plan on shooting beyond 100 yards, an AK is all you need. :)
In a real life scenario when do you really shoot past 100 yards? If i really need to do any distance shooting i will just set the ak to the side for a moment and bust out with the Tula 42 mosin nagant. :thumb: No one can say that wont shoot far enough for any situation. See i can still have real mans weaponry. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts