Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to make cornbread out of items they easily store? Cornmeal, flour, powdered eggs, powdered milk? I usually use fresh buttermilk and fresh eggs and shortening. I need a alternate recipe.

·
Geezer In Training
1,881 Posts
I've made it from dried ingredients a bunch of times. Powdered milk and eggs works fine. I also like to use fresh ground corn and wheat. It doesn't rise quite as high because of the wheat fiber, but it sure tastes a lot better.
Yes, my family actually likes it better this way!
I usually use fresh eggs from my chickens, but the powdered eggs work just fine, too... And yes, the fresh ground corn and wheat actually does make a better tasting cornbread... :thumb:

Karl

·
Registered
498 Posts
Have you tried "hot water" cornbread? It taste great and doesn't pull on your egg and milk stores.

It's cornmeal, a little baking powder,and hot water. Mixed and fried in a skillet.

I'd give you a recipe but I've seriously only seen it made without people measuring. Google it :p

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,285 Posts
Have you tried "hot water" cornbread? It taste great and doesn't pull on your egg and milk stores.

It's cornmeal, a little baking powder,and hot water. Mixed and fried in a skillet.

I'd give you a recipe but I've seriously only seen it made without people measuring. Google it :p
There are a lot of different types of cornbreads. Some are very simple. Hoe cakes, pones, etc.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
I've made it from dried ingredients a bunch of times. Powdered milk and eggs works fine. I also like to use fresh ground corn and wheat. It doesn't rise quite as high because of the wheat fiber, but it sure tastes a lot better.
Mike, Do you have a recipe you could post for cornbread with the dried ingredients, please :)

·
SIE
49 Posts
Golden Sweet Cornbread

This is the one we use if all purpose flour is available (and we use powdered eggs and powdered milk in the recipe):

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
_ _ _

If you don't have all purpose flour, the recipe below also works. While not as light and fluffy as the one above, it's not bad...

Whole Wheat Corn Bread

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
2 cups milk
2 eggs

Directions:

1 Combine the corn meal,flour,baking powder,and salt.
2 Add the honey,oil,milk and eggs.
3 Mix just enough to moisten the batter.
4 Pour the batter into an oiled 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
5 Bake at 375 degree oven for 20-35 minutes or until golden brown.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,285 Posts
Mike, Do you have a recipe you could post for cornbread with the dried ingredients, please :)
There's no special recipe needed. It's very simple to substitute the dried ingredients. If the recipe calls for 2 cups of milk and your powder says use 1/3 cup powder to a cup of water to make 1 cup milk, just add your 2/3 cups powdered milk to the dry ingredients and the 2 cups of water to the wet ones. Same with the powdered eggs.

What I haven't tinkered with yet, is to see if rehydrating the eggs ahead of time has any benefit. I know that letting the rehydrated eggs sit for half an hour or so before making an omelette helps the texture. But I don't know if it would make an improvement in corn bread or not. All the instructions I've ever seen just said to add the powders to the rest of the dry ingredients. Some day I'll do two batches side by side to see if it changes anything.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,285 Posts
This is the one we use if all purpose flour is available (and we use powdered eggs and powdered milk in the recipe):

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
That's the same recipe as I use for my basic cornbread, minus the sugar. Wars have been fought over sweet vs non sweet cornbread! :D:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts