Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I have heard, that the larger the round, the greater the stopping power.
Thus, most people like the .45;
But I like .22's(Stingers).

My question is, has there ever been any practical testing of this assumption.
--------------------------------------------------
You would think, that “stopping power”, would have to do with, “shocking the system”, of the man that is coming at you.

A shot to the heart, with anything(except a .25), would drop them like a stone.
But what about a shot to the gut.

It could be, that a .45 in the gut, would be more shocking than an .22 in the gut.
Has anyone here ever been shot with a .22.....?
(And was it shocking to your system?)

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
A .22 round has virtually no 'stopping power'. It takes a hit directly to vital organs like the heart or brain to 'stop' somebody with a .22.

Yes, there has been tons of 'testing' and it is NOT an assumption.

Sounds as if you are 'trying' to validate your use of a .22 as your MBR.

Good luck with that chum...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Kregener

Thanks for the info.

My MBR is actually a 357 magnum:
And at the range, with a rest and time to aim and shooting single action, it is very accurate.

But I am much more accurate, with my little Beretta 22.
But since it has -0- stopping power, I will keep it as my backup.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
A .22 is VERY accurate, but lacks the transfer of energy to...'stop'...its victim.

My brother killed his first whitetail buck with a .22 rifle. shot it 9 times and tracked it through the woods.

He has killed 100 more since then by poleaxing them with .30 caliber rounds and dropping them where they stood.

I would advise against using any pistol caliber round as your main battle rifle. .357 included. Great pistol cartridge, but get a real rifle.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The one thing that the above replys fail to mention is the fact most people can shoot a 22 far more accuratly than a bigger caliber. Im not advocating a 22 for self defense but dont disguard it either. As to the green beret officer shooting a guy in the head with a 22 and it bounching off his skull, well I would agree this is possible as I bounced one off the head of a sraight on mule deer. HOWEVER I have read of about every handgun caliber suffering the same fate including on more than one occasion the 45acp. The 22 is the choice of outdoorsmen for food gathering and in their time in the field have used them to take much larger game including for a time the largest grizzly. As a guide I used a 22 to finish off many many big game animals with no problems. I would much rather face a inexperenced person using a large handgun than one that uses a 22, as most can shoot a 22 very well with minimun training.

·
Registered
20 Posts
All handgun calibers are a trade-off. Always remember: shot placement, multiple hits, then penetration!!
To double the effect of a 22: shoot 'em twice.
FYI: a head shot from 45yds using a 22 Ruger Mark II was the last step a deer took.

·
Registered
806 Posts
stopping power is entirely different from killing power. a .22 to the ear will drop a 300 pound pig, rarely an issue.

The .22 is used in assassinations, both by military "special squads" and the good old mafia. From hiding, or from the hand of a supposed friend, it'll kill just fine.

Thats entirely different from stopping a drugged gangster charging you in the dark with a blade in hand. Anything less than 9mm has been shown insufficient, as evidenced by police and FBI requirements. Sure the europeans used to use .32s, but they moved up when drugs and immigrants changed the nature of their society.

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
stopping power is entirely different from killing power. a .22 to the ear will drop a 300 pound pig, rarely an issue.

The .22 is used in assassinations, both by military "special squads" and the good old mafia. From hiding, or from the hand of a supposed friend, it'll kill just fine.

Thats entirely different from stopping a drugged gangster charging you in the dark with a blade in hand. Anything less than 9mm has been shown insufficient, as evidenced by police and FBI requirements. Sure the europeans used to use .32s, but they moved up when drugs and immigrants changed the nature of their society.
Umm, isn't stopping power and killing power the same thing, essentially. Look a drugged out perp will run through a .45 the same way he does a .22 so long as the rounds are being placed in places that are not catastrophic. So mony instances and stories out there will corroborate the fact that rounds anywhere on the body regardless of caliber don't kill as effectively as the placement of the round. As 30-30 said and I agree, I'd rather have some thug with a .45 shootin at me then one with a .22. Placement of the round is more important then hole diameter.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Umm, isn't stopping power and killing power the same thing, essentially. .
Nope, its not the same thing when quarter-seconds count.

A head or spine shot is essentially instant. .22 is fine for that.

But for anything else, .22 is not the best by any means.
A heart shot takes about 5 seconds to kill. Plenty of time for someone to cut you full of holes.
A liver shot takes half an hour to kill. Gut shots a couple days to die of septicemia.

So, in a short-range encounter (Why else use a handgun???), you need nervous system shock. Better provided by bigger and expanding bullets.

Now that does not mean I advocate .44 Mag for personal defense. I use it for hunting, but thats when I plan to take at least a few seconds to aim.

Now, due to living in an apartment with people upstairs, downstairs, and beside me, I reluctantly consider my .22 semi-auto as my quick reaction defense. However, I do so knowing full well that it is a poor trade. I practice double-taps. I have a 12 gauge pump, if I have time to get it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I personally knew a guy (way back in my past - let's just say my troubled youth ;)) who got shot six times with a .22 and still managed to run away from the house he was burglarizing. While he didn't get away with the loot, it didn't exactly shock him either. If he had had a gun to fight back with, the home owner would probably have been dead. He did end up going to the hospital and getting in trouble with the law, but when SHTF, all bets are off.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Nope, its not the same thing when quarter-seconds count.

A head or spine shot is essentially instant. .22 is fine for that.

But for anything else, .22 is not the best by any means.
A heart shot takes about 5 seconds to kill. Plenty of time for someone to cut you full of holes.
A liver shot takes half an hour to kill. Gut shots a couple days to die of septicemia.

So, in a short-range encounter (Why else use a handgun???), you need nervous system shock. Better provided by bigger and expanding bullets.

Now that does not mean I advocate .44 Mag for personal defense. I use it for hunting, but thats when I plan to take at least a few seconds to aim.

Now, due to living in an apartment with people upstairs, downstairs, and beside me, I reluctantly consider my .22 semi-auto as my quick reaction defense. However, I do so knowing full well that it is a poor trade. I practice double-taps. I have a 12 gauge pump, if I have time to get it.
It's not that I advocate the use of a .22cal for self defense or as a primary choice, hell I don't even have a .22 handgun. What I'm saying is it doesn't matter what you get hit with, a well placed round regardless the caliber will both STOP and KILL you all the same.

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
What stopping power? .22, stopping? what? Doesn't make since at all, gonna go lay down now.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I know a guy who's wife shot him in the leg with a 22. He expressed that it was not like in the movies. He could barely move, because he was in such excruciating pain. He said he kept trying to get up off the ground and walk, but he could hardly move.

She must have hit a nerve or something. If he had a firearm he could have shot back, but she kept the gun on him until the cops arrived. He said he did not want another round, or ever wants to be hit with a 22 again. Still married. Ain't love grand?

Another guy I know was accidentally shot, in the leg, with a 22. He said it hurrrrrt! He sold all his guns, after that.

Not a first choice, but a 22 is a great bang for the buck.

45 ACP

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.