Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a friendly reminder and some encouragement:

I've seen a lot of people here say that they could be in better physical shape. I know how that is! And most of us can probably relate to some degree.

I was sitting on my couch a few months ago and exercise crossed my mind (I hadn't been exercising and wasn't eating very well). I knew that if I didn't get up right then and there, that I wouldn't do it all. So I got up and did a few sets of push ups and drank some water. It wasn't much, but it was SOMETHING! It was a start. It's now been a few months and both my wife and me are exercising much more consistently and eating healthier.

For those that have been putting it off...start today! Otherwise, you probably won't start and will continue living the way you do.

We all know that our health is one of the most important things to prep and yet it is possibly one of the easiest things to ignore...and putting it off goes against the prepping concept.

Some of us need to be okay with starting at zero. It will take time, you know that, I know that, we all know that. But just start! Go on a 10 minute walk or jog, do a set of push ups, stop drinking (or drink less) soda/beer/energy drinks and drink more water. Find something that is fun! Hiking, biking, kayaking, running, swimming etc...Start small and you will see results. Your future self will thank you! Like all aspects of prepping, you just have to start somewhere.

Maybe we can post what we're doing for exercise here to help motivate each other or give some ideas? I'll start:

I've been doing mostly body weight exercises at home (calisthenics, lots of great workout plans online and don't pay for a gym). It requires very little equipment and is a great start. I've started drinking more water and less sugary drinks. I bought a big water bottle that's nearly 1 gallon and my goal is to drink the whole thing once a day. And like I mentioned earlier, my wife and I started going on bike rides together and it's been a lot of fun. We try to go on at least one ride a week. I've even done some commuting on my bike. This probably isn't the best, or the most efficient plan, but it is working for me. I know that the more I do it, the more I'll learn and I can make changes.

Hope this helps someone. And feel free to give some input!

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Since this is (ostensibly) a survivalist forum it may be a good idea to examine the issue in more detail.Like if someone lives in a city or a suburb the exercise doesn't matter (from a survival perspective). If one lives in a (remote) rural area the exercise doesn't matter either: one has to work (physically) hard just to survive NOW.
Moreover, if the real crisis ever comes, he would spend YEARS inside the retreat without going outside, so he won't need to be in really good physical shape.
Are there exceptions? Sure: anyone who plans to bug out must be in exceptional shape just to get where he is going.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"...exercise doesn't matter"....I'm not going to take fitness advice from you, lol. I'm talking in the context of overall health. Not whether or not one needs to be capable of running 40 miles without stopping. The goal here is to try to avoid having a heart attack while in a "retreat". Or dying from some other health related concern that could have been avoided by proper diet and exercise. I believe this applies to all. Being able to perform more physically demanding tasks/jobs is just a by-product of eating well/exercising.

·
Somewhere on a ranch...
1,944 Posts
This is one area that I struggle in. If I actually go to the gym, I put in a hard hour or two, and feel great the next day. I can also usually get rid of the extra 5 pounds in a month or so, and can tone muscle quickly.

My problem is time. I have three kids and will soon have four. Time is the most important thing I have, and it's tough to make it to the gym after the kids are all asleep.

I try to remedy that by biking a few miles while towing my son in a pull-behind cart. I also work around the place pretty hard most weekends, and go canoeing from time to time with my son. Those things do help, but I'm thinking I need to set up a pull-up bar and start doing more "workout" style things around the house because going to the gym just doesn't happen much anymore!

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
My health has been a huge impediment this last two years. I JUST started getting back on track and severe lung issues derailed my efforts.

I have continued to make much healthier choices in diet (not totally healthy, but way better than before) and am FINALLY back where I can get more exercise.

God it is wonderful to be able to take a deep breath without hacking up a lung...

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've started using fitstar. what i like about it is the exercises are effective and require very little space. have a goal of getting level 10 badges for all body parts. they change the exercises based on your feedback of difficulty

·
Tedious Gasbag
703 Posts
I live in a gym, so that part is fairly easy for me...
I also find it very efficient to mix exercise with daily chores... both have to be done, so why not do both at the same time... especially if one has a life where time is at a premium.
For example... unless I am buying a fridge or something similarly large, I run all my errands on my bike. Grocery shopping, pharmacy, everything. This gets me on the bike every day, often back and forth across town. Sometimes I will choose a grocery store which is quite far away rather than a neighborhood one. I have a huge milk crate on the back, as well a backpack to wear for extra cargo space if needed.
It's only one part of an overall plan, but a part I have integrated permanently.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
One of the best things I ever did was quit a job, and then spend a summer doing temporary Dock work unloading and loading trucks all day.

Dropped down to a healthy weight in a couple months.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,701 Posts
It's true.

Heart disease, obesity, diabeties, injury, failing joints, etc. are all high probability and expensive SHTF scenarios.

Same with financial health. Bills are a 100% certainty for most people.

Yet folks spend piles of time worried about volcanoes, alien invasions, jet streams, floods, etc. that will likely never occur and if they do, there's not much that you can do about it.

Prioritize folks.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I do my exercises for 10 minutes every day. It's nothing fancy. I've also set a goal to reach by this time next year.

This is on top of the normal movement of housework, walking the pets and so on.

Find something you really enjoy, even if that is walking and do it every day. It will help with stress and other medical conditions.

If you don't want to exercise then take up a hobby that involves hidden exercise: like gardening, volunteering in a thrift shop, art in the landscape, photography where your lifting heavy equipment for a long time, and so on.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Just goes to show the pitiful interest in health on SurvivalistBoards.
If the OP wrote "Glock makes the best handgun" or "I can't get my canning lids to seal",
he would get dozens of 'thanks' and the string would soon be 15 pages long.

Start a thread about health or exercise...crickets.
Congrats Dompamar and everyone else that is making the effort towards a healthier lifestyle!

At every age, health and fitness pays dividends.

When young, athletics and dating are dominated by those that are fit and confident in their skin...
yet few put forth the effort.

At middle age, the best jobs are offered to those who can handle the pace and the pressure.
Yet junk food and too much couch time dominate.

And old age will require a lifetime of exercise and healthy eating, lest we end up in a wheelchair,
or cannot remember why we are not wearing pants.

Please do not rationalize the truth with rebuttals about Uncle Eddie who drank and smoked for nearly all of his 93 years. Or young Johnny who collapsed while running a marathon. They are outliers. The majority of individuals who eat healthy and get moderate exercise will outlive the majority of those who eat crap and spend their day on their ass.

When I read through many SB threads, in my minds-eye I see a survivalist moving quietly through thick underbrush. Carrying an overstuffed rucksack. Instinctively heading to his BOL where he will start a fire and purify some water.

Then I come back to reality. America is overweight. On too many meds to counteract preventable ailments. And if they are moving quickly, it is to beat the crowd to the Chinese Buffet.

Steam some veggies and then go for a brisk walk!

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Since this is (ostensibly) a survivalist forum it may be a good idea to examine the issue in more detail.Like if someone lives in a city or a suburb the exercise doesn't matter (from a survival perspective). If one lives in a (remote) rural area the exercise doesn't matter either: one has to work (physically) hard just to survive NOW.
Moreover, if the real crisis ever comes, he would spend YEARS inside the retreat without going outside, so he won't need to be in really good physical shape.
Are there exceptions? Sure: anyone who plans to bug out must be in exceptional shape just to get where he is going.

Wrong...others on SB likewise have written that they are overweight because they are storing calories for TEOTWAWKI. Sorry, biologically inaccurate.

If a person lives in a city, he/she will need to outrun the zombies. They will need to get to the grocery store first before all the shelves are looted. They need to jog home to the family after the EMP disables the BOV. When the elevator stops working, the stairs need to be climbed. Etc.

If the Prepper lives in the country, they have a head start with manual labor. But just because they can throw bales of hay all day long doesn't mean they can do a half day hike carrying their child. How does chopping wood prepare someone for the need to swim a long distance?

Being in great shape insures you will have the best chance of surviving the stresses of SHTF. Just knowing that you can lift yourself into a tree, or sprint 100 yards without collapsing, offers confidence that you will survive most calamities.

And what if S doesn't HTF? Shouldn't a person want to look great for their significant other? Shouldn't they want to be able to have sex without risking a frickin' stroke? Climb Machu Pichu? Play golf at 85? Carry the grand kid around Disneyland? Walk their daughter down the aisle?

Or is it better to have a loved one push their wheelchair around the park and hope that there is enough O2 in the cylinder to get them home because it is nearly time for the evening assortment of colored meds?

Get up and move!

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's true.

Heart disease, obesity, diabeties, injury, failing joints, etc. are all high probability and expensive SHTF scenarios.

Same with financial health. Bills are a 100% certainty for most people.

Yet folks spend piles of time worried about volcanoes, alien invasions, jet streams, floods, etc. that will likely never occur and if they do, there's not much that you can do about it.

Prioritize folks.
You are spot on, working out and saving are the most not fun things (especially when compared to buying new guns and shooting them) but the most likely to help your every day life now and after a disaster.

Usually exercise posts are met with people who roll out the excuses about how they are old and their knees hurt or they have some injury that prevents them from doing anything. Except for the very very rare cases everyone can do some kind of exercising even if it is just walking or some pushups on their knees. Oh and regardless of health we can all eat better.

Its amazing how 95% of a person's ailments magically disappear when they stop being obese, which let's face it in some states like Louisiana and Mississippi more than one in three people are (http://stateofobesity.org/states/la/). Here is the chart below, unless you are made of pure muscle its time to have a come to Jesus moment about being obese or at least overweight:

If you are 5' 11" for example (and go get your accurate height, if you are 5' 11" you are not 6', sounds dumb but after measuring people for years in the Army post PT test everyone complained about being listed as "shorter than they were", sorry but you are what you are) you should weigh no more than 179lbs, more than 219 and you are OBESE.

·
wanderin' roun somewhars
454 Posts
Rule #1: CARDIO
Bottom line is to get up and move. Do something, anything and get moving. Then work towards monitoring heart rate and strength training. Just do it, anything is better than sitting in front of your computer like your average keyboard warrior. Get you butt up and get moving. Physical fitness it the #1 priority of any recovery plan.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I was in the gym 3 days a week before my October 2016 heart attack. I was a fat 270, but a strong 270. 10 days in the hospital knocked 15 pounds off me and I've dropped another 20 after that.

I got back into the gym before I was medically cleared, actually had no idea weight lifting over 40 pounds was not recommended. I hadn't been back to my heart doctor yet. I have completed a 36 session cardiac rehab that was excellent. Now my heart rate goes up normally and comes down fast after exercise.

I'm now cleared to do anything that doesn't cause pain. My chest incision is sore and I was told that is normal. My leg where they borrowed a vein is getting better.

If I can do it, anyone can. Find a cheap gym and join. I've been with the same place since 2009 and it runs me $10 a month.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts