Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No seriously. You. Reading this right now. Stop. Get up from the computer, get your mind off the impending doom, the seed orders, the mountain homestead retreat, economic catastrophe, ammo counts and the spot price of gold.

Take a deep breath, and forget everything in the prep list, to do list, even the honey-do list. Stop for a second, and look back at what you have learned and accomplished so far. Sigh with contentment at a job that may not be done, but which is a job well done so far.

I'm sipping a beer on my shop steps right now, and as soon as I post this, I'm going to go lie down on my shop roof, state at the stars and wallow in the fact that right now, I have stars and a shop rooftop to stare at them from.

I think it will do me some good. I think it might do us all some good.

Sometimes you just have to stop for a minute or two and enjoy what you have at the moment.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
That's good advice. Everyone needs to stop and do that every so often. I find it's best when you laying on the roof-top next to someone that you love, because then you have the roof top to look from, the stars and someone to love.

·
1,794 Posts
Good advice! When relaxing, be sure to take the BOB to the roof with you. And the gun, can't get caught unarmed. Never can tell what will happen. Take the map and compass, might get lost in the dark. A good flashlight will also be needed. Better take extra batteries just in case. Is 50 rounds really enough? We are not sure how long we may be on the roof. Maybe I had better take some paracord in case I need to tie myself down to keep from falling off the roof. On second thought, maybe I might need 3 magazines. Wouldn't hurt to take an MRE out there, might get hungry. Oh, will need the MRE heater. Ah, almost forgot the wool blanket and multi-tool. Ok, I'm all set to put it all aside and not think about preparedness for awhile. My head still hurts. Should have remembered to bring the first aid kit out here with me. What if I fall off the roof? The wife is screaming at me, have to run away. See, It is good that I remembered to bring the BOB.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I do that everyday! My windown period is sitting at the dinner table with my kids and taking in everything that that made up their day...and remembering myself at their age doing the same stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
"G" You now owe me $3,700. I fell off my second story roof, onto my BBQ and smashed it and myself. The hospital said I can bill you.......

The good news is that man was I relaxed up there, so relaxed I fell asleep, then fell off. Well actually I rolled off. Which was good, I bounced off the BBQ and then hit the ground.

No seriously guys sometimes, even "pros" MUST take a walk away. Honestly I do this nearly everyday. Take an hour, and do something you wife wants to do. Something she really wants to do. Watch the stinking movie or etc, it actually helps in the long run.

Good on ya for bringin it up "G" I know sometimes it seems overwhelming, and that is the perfect time to get up and have a few drinks. Fridays, and Saturdays are my real relax days during the winter, summer not so much but it helps when a friend reminds you to take a break, remind me in 5 months I am sure I will need it :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been actively prepping for about two weeks. I have 29 gallons of water stored, just in time for another water main break, and about a week or two of food. I have a grain grinder in the mail and plans for a car kit and 72 hour kits underway. I have LOTS of information compiled on the computer, printing them out slowly, and plans for a solar oven. I guess that's not bad for two weeks. :)

·
Prepping = life insurance
1,458 Posts
Good advice! When relaxing, be sure to take the BOB to the roof with you. And the gun, can't get caught unarmed. Never can tell what will happen. Take the map and compass, might get lost in the dark. A good flashlight will also be needed. Better take extra batteries just in case. Is 50 rounds really enough? We are not sure how long we may be on the roof. Maybe I had better take some paracord in case I need to tie myself down to keep from falling off the roof. On second thought, maybe I might need 3 magazines. Wouldn't hurt to take an MRE out there, might get hungry. Oh, will need the MRE heater. Ah, almost forgot the wool blanket and multi-tool. Ok, I'm all set to put it all aside and not think about preparedness for awhile. My head still hurts. Should have remembered to bring the first aid kit out here with me. What if I fall off the roof? The wife is screaming at me, have to run away. See, It is good that I remembered to bring the BOB.
LOL!!!! Hilarious!! hahahahhahah

·
Prepping = life insurance
1,458 Posts
My $0.02....

The most important thing any of us can learn, and for some of us it takes the better part of lives to learn, is how to be happy.

Some of us are happiest doing what we all talk about here, prepping, but I do agree with what Guerilla said, get out there and enjoy the World even as screwed up as we think it is.

If (or When) TSHTF, you may not be able to do what you can enjoy now. As a personal example, even though it's far pricier than eating at home I'm still hitting up restaurants that may be affected by the economy or worse.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
If only the 50 million democrat voters whould have seen what the 49.9 million republican voters saw for us in the future. I have never in my life been so worried about the next four years under the Obanation leadership or lack of leadership.

With that said I am off to the rifle range for some serious target practice and a few Vodka Tonics afterwards. Yes, we should all rest while we can because in the not to far future we will not be able to.
God Bless America

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very very funny, scruggs and SH. It scares my wife when I'm on the roof too. But only because she can't see me, so my "hey, baby" about startled her to death. As does my jumping off the roof. It's funny, I got cold after about 20 minutes, and was half tempted to come back and post. "fell off roof, think legs are broken. Nevermind"

Buts it did do me some good, I was on my thirteenth hour working on the cabin, and had started spinning my wheel, pacing and looking at everything I needed to do before I was finished. Stopping, and just relaxing while not thinkin of any of it for a few minutes helped me remember that I enjoy working on the cabin, and the external things that are stressing me out, (impending livestock, a garden I'm terribly behind on establishing with seed on the way, my trucks need for new shocks, the windmill installation on the ranch, slow business at the farm supply) will work themselves out.

Your right about a campfire and friends who have no need to talk. I get that once a month when my two bestfriends come to help out. But we've all been busy an it hasbeen cold, so it's been since the week before thanksgiving. They are truely my reset switch.

I think I'm just getting tired. I need a vacation, and with goats, dogs and chickens on the way, I'm not due for one for quite sometime.

Ugh. I need to climb up on the roof again now. ;) back to insulation.

-g

By the way, thanks. Since I hang out here using my phone, know that every time I post, I'm taking a break. You guys help alleviate alot of the isolation blues I get spending five days a week basically working alone.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Funny you posted this. Last night, I pulled out my dad's old 4" telescope, and tried to make sense of the gears, angles, weights, controls and optics. Lot more complicated than a scope, I'll tell you that.

So, me, myself and I spend 2 hours under the stars, with about 20 minutes actual star gazing! It was pretty cool. I want to get good enough for my granddaughter to be able to enjoy it.

There's more to life than preparing to defend it, for sure. I keep rabbits.... for FUN, not for food. I enjoy my garage as a refuge from work and chores... nice place to hang out and unwind.

Ya gotta have time and place to just BE.

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
I think that sitting back and unwinding and taking in all the beauty this world has to offer can really put things in focus. These off times help me remember why I prep and for who (Family).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts