Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't dug deep into history to see how things went for all the societies and civilizations that fell, such as the Romans. From what I have seen though, no one went back to the stone age as far as technology. So, why do so many people on here think that when "it" does happen, we will be immediately thrown back to clubbing and throwing rocks?

Just in my short bit of time on this planet, one of several things that I have learned is that man will not give up something they want, they will find a way to get or make what we need/want. Perhaps I'm rambling, just really confused by some of the threads on here. :confused:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
There's no way. We have too much infrastructure in place and too many resources available. While I doubt (and HOPE!) that we never reach this level again, it's almost impossible for us to go back to the stone age. Farmers will in time adapt to farming with biodiesel, and some may resort to animal drawn farm implements. Some vehicles will be adapted to run on wood gas, and some areas will produce ethanol, etc.

As we rebuild, we'll be able to reuse a lot of the infrastructure as we go.

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
The science and technology will still be here, we may just have to teach ourselves to use it again. Or perhaps re-learn some of the old ways we have lost.

The knowledge as to how things work will be the real power, post collapse.

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
There are thousands of tons of metal available and easily worked now.

Have to train more blacksmiths and foundry workers!

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,422 Posts
When the Roman empire fell, most of Europe decayed into the dark ages. Populations fell and the cities were all but abandoned. The small farmers struggled, but they survived. While the knowledge of metal working was kept, the knowledge of surveying, masonry, and concrete was lost to the west.

We will not resort to stone tools, but we may loose a lot of our science, medicine, and engineering knowledge over the first 40-50 yrs.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Electricity, internal combustion and even steam power were virtually unknown and had no impact on people's lives until well into the 19th century, yet it was a world of advanced culture. After TSHTF a period of chaos should give way to a world much like that of, say, 1800. The toughest part will be reviving and learning the manual arts of that day. Shipbuilding and sail navigation aren't arts easily learned, but a generation should do it.
As to the fall of the western Roman empire, people envision it as a complete absence of civilization. It was nothing of the sort. The areas formerly ruled from Rome were taken over by "barbarian" peoples, mostly Germanic, who had their own cultures and law codes. It wasn't as sophisticated as Rome, but it was civilization of a sort. Some Roman institutions survived, most notably the Catholic Church, which lent unity to the patchwork feudal states that replaced the old empire.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Would never be a Stone age again unless 95% of the population died off and only the Stupid survived. Electric is different today then decades ago. We still will have the Ideas and materials capable of making electric. I see early 1900's with some 2010 tech in there. Those with some kind of Knowledge to move foward will be wanted while those who Want with out the knowledge will either die or become raiders.
The biggest challage I see us facing is the abilty to work together and "GASP" actually talk face to face.

·
Joe McCarthy was Right!
4,790 Posts
You have to realize that most people have a very specialized skill set these days. there arent a ton of people that are the jack of all trades. if you have an electrician survive but no machanics you have a problem. our society is dependant on each other. If you have a die out of curtain skill sets there is no telling how far we will fall..

Also, most information to learn from is obtained through computers these days. if the internet fails along with the power grid you will have to resort to books to learn from. Information will become harder to find. basically itll be harder to learn skills that you dont already have.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
I haven't dug deep into history to see how things went for all the societies and civilizations that fell, such as the Romans. ...
The US is probably more at danger than other countries of slipping into a Stone age type of existence after a mass life cessation event. Hardly anyone knows basic Math or Physics anymore! The legion of the ones that don't know math tend to dislike and distrust those that do. Superstitions and non rational thinking abound in the US today. Our politicians are dumber at this stuff than these average folks are.

I have seen people that go to build stuff that are incapable of figuring how much material they will need. Instead they just buy a bunch and than have the Hardware store take back what they haven't needed or simply throw away the excess. The clerks at stores no longer can count out change. People do not know how to calculate their cars mpg or even know what it should be.

How many people use electricity everyday but have no real idea how it is generated? They are vaguely aware of paying for it on their monthly bills but have no idea what the numbers mean.

So the biggest reason we might end up back to the Stone age is American's dislike of learning. No amount of how-to books can counteract that if, as children onwards, people are not taught to value knowledge and critical thinking. [/rant]

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I haven't dug deep into history to see how things went for all the societies and civilizations that fell, such as the Romans. From what I have seen though, no one went back to the stone age as far as technology. So, why do so many people on here think that when "it" does happen, we will be immediately thrown back to clubbing and throwing rocks?

Just in my short bit of time on this planet, one of several things that I have learned is that man will not give up something they want, they will find a way to get or make what we need/want. Perhaps I'm rambling, just really confused by some of the threads on here. :confused:
First, show me a legitimate post where someone thinks it will be the stone age for us?

From what I gather here, most are prepping food, ammo, metals and water.

If we have a shor term disaster, the food ammo and water will almost always be tapped into for survival. For long term financial problems, the metals come into play along with the food, ammo and water.

Lets see that stone age post. I think its a perception, not a reality.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,966 Posts
I'm not as confident as others in this thread. We have a society based on cheap petroleum, and our transportation is almost entirely dependent upon petroleum.

Our collapse is likely to be petroleum-related, one way or another. If the dollar collapses (seems likely), the price of fuel will skyrocket, and the economy will collapse.

Yes, over time, perhaps some of that could be replaced by biodiesel or ethanol, but both require a fair amount of energy to produce in the first place.

Stone age? No. Back 100 or 150 years? Quite possibly.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts

mostly because either they are new and/or dont know any better.

only way we would loose all technology is if a mad max scenario was to happen, and that happening while always possable is highly improbable.

odds are we will see food riots and civil unrest in the BIG cities because of the hard times we will be seeing. and odds are we could see disruptions in services like water,trash pickup, electricity,mail,phone...ect

many dont realize that many many countries have had economic collapses and they are still going. even the U.S. has has an economic collapse in its history it didnt stop everything you may have heard of it ... it is called "the great depression"

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
What happens after we're old and useless? Have we educated our kids? Can they pass that knowledge and those values on to their kids? If not, then we'll surely slide backward. Hopefully some interesting tangents will present themselves along the way.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Few people have libraries in their homes that contain useful facts. Depending on the SHTF situation, much knowledge will be lost. I and you are on this computer, but few people have knowledge on their shelves to learn and teach by, as great people like George Washington, Jefferson, and other founding fathers of this country. If the power grid goes, there WILL be mass extinction of both people and animals through disruptions of water, food and medicine. But the Stone Age, no. People that do survive will survive with the knowledge and skills of the 1800s and 1900s. Much of the wives tales of the earlier times have been disproved and we won't have those struggles, such as the need for refrigeration, hygiene, etc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
What?? I don't think we will be thrown into the stone age, and I was unaware that everybody here thought we would be. I think the premise of your question is wrong, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts